Author Topic: Shaving?  (Read 722 times)

MesMorial

• Apprentice
Shaving?
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:38:41 AM »
I was wondering if this ayah implies that normally we are allowed to shave our beards...

?And accomplish the pilgrimage and the visit for Allah, but if, you are prevented, [send] whatever offering is easy to obtain, and do not shave your heads until the offering reaches its destination;?

Qur'an 2:196

Many thanks.

Peace

Scrappy-doo

• Apprentice
Re: Shaving?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
Salaam MesMorial.
I was wondering the same thing to do with all aspects of shaving. 2.196 talks about shaving the head, I would of thought Allah swt would say beard if He meant both. If we look at 4.119 I think this verse is referring to impairing the quality of appearance by marring, damaging and spoiling, so I really don't think that applies to shaving. whether this applies to tatoos, piercings really depends on personal preferance. Some tattoos can be quite beautiful where as other can look hideous.
Respect
Simone :sun:
Non illigitimus carborundum

Prince

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
Salaam.

In my opinion from studying the Quran The God does not shy away from giving us the laws because as he says there are two types of verses in the quran: Muhkam (Definitive and Lucid) and Mutashabih (Figurative and Allegorical). It makes sense the laws are muhkam because we would be playing guess work if the verses were mutashabih.

Hence there is not law revealed in the Quran that prohibits us from shaving any part of our body or tattooing and piercing. Of course using our God given conscious is a must when tackling these subjects as with anything so it's best thought through before pursuing these.

PEACE
A book is only as good as it?s reader. Once opened symbols present themselves for the reader to decipher. We learn and relearn new conceptual models to comprehend these symbols. A book is only a tool.

Magnus

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 07:32:58 AM »
I'm in agreement with brother Prince here. As a legal document the Quran is unparalleled in lucidity and brevity. We gotta obey God's law, and be very careful not to add things to it because tradition and culture declare certain things bad, when God does not.
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.