News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

The Forgery of Significations

Started by uq, March 28, 2013, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earthdom

Peace abang Joe Betik.

Thank you for your explanation.Actually Arabic grammar and translation is not my main and my main discipline, instead i study it in autodidact ways.So maybe I little bit confused to reading your explanation.

QuoteAnd the more than a billion people who professed to be true Muslims have found it hard to denounce religious massacres simply they follow the translator's idea that 'oqtul' rigidly means 'kill' as in putting to death by shedding the blood.

Yeah it's the true, why some radical Muslim intepretate Quran based on their hatred and forget if all the verses in the Quran is correlated each other.

It's like the verse 5:51, for how the Sunni translate the word "auliya" with simple minded by saying if we musn't use Yahudi and Nasrani as our leader.
They didn't care if the word "auliya" have multiple meaning such like "helper, best friend etc"
Plus they also didn't care if Jews and Nasrani mentioned in 5:51 is the hypocrite people who attacking Muslim, instead they keep descriminating Jews or Nasrani by using ayat 5:51 as their bases.

Regards.
Tegar

huruf

Spiritual texts, enven while dealing with everyday hapennings, are open texts. No use putting a lid on them, because they are nourishment for the individual, and I highlight individual, because they have the potential to awake any person, to evoque very personal things to every person. In facct that happens with any text. But the spiritual texts, being inspired, they go very deep into the conscience, subconscience, and all the recesses of the human mind and feelings.

Also, conditionning is the most powerful limit to reading what may be enclosed in a word, a phrase, a set of phrases.

We may follow paths that may be do not take us where we thoought they would, but at the very least that provides as always, with a better grasp of whatever we are trying to clear or get to. And also it gives us width of understanding in general, of fats and words and what is behind the words. Language is anything but rationhal. It is rational to some extent, but it is our  let out for everything we experience cosncious or unconscious, more so the unconscious. We let the cat out through words. And we let the cat out when we understand certain words, expressions in one way and not in another.

But most conditioning, and most lethal comes from previous assumed "correct" interpretations, of which assumption we are not even conscious.

Salaam

Wakas

peace joe betik,

QuoteIf say, you were an Eskimo, has God sent you or your group of people a messenger who spoke in the language that you or your group of people understand?

And if there was nothing that you know of regarding this matter, does it mean that God has never sent a messenger to you or your group of people?

And consequently therefore, the first part of verse 14:4 is a lie. Is it?

I do not see how 14:4 can be said to be a lie with the reasoning you have provided. 14:4 is simply saying if/when God sends a messenger to a people it is done so in the language of those people, i.e. the messenger speaks their language.

Perhaps you are also combining 16:46, but even then I do not follow your reasoning.

An Eskimo may not be aware of a messenger being sent but this does not mean a messenger was not sent.

Perhaps you can clarify.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Joe Betik

Quote from: Wakas on July 01, 2013, 09:45:57 AM
peace joe betik,

I do not see how 14:4 can be said to be a lie with the reasoning you have provided. 14:4 is simply saying if/when God sends a messenger to a people it is done so in the language of those people, i.e. the messenger speaks their language.

Perhaps you are also combining 16:46, but even then I do not follow your reasoning.

An Eskimo may not be aware of a messenger being sent but this does not mean a messenger was not sent.

Perhaps you can clarify.

Peace Wakas,

May God guide us all correctly.

Perhaps the more appropriate verse to be read together with my related post is 10:47 (corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=10&verse=47).

And I am with you when you wrote, "An Eskimo may not be aware of a messenger being sent but this does not mean a messenger was not sent."

A matter worth pondering upon is, "Was a 'rasool' (messenger) ever sent to Muhammad the 'nabiy' (lets just say that Muhammad the 'nabiy' was the person who received the Q we now have) prior to his appointment as a 'rasool'?"

The underlying ideas in the 2 paragraphs above may give us some pointers, hopefully, on who actually is the rasool:

a. for a person such as Muhammad, Ibrahim, Isha, Moosa, Zakariya, Maryam, or even you and me, etc.;
b. for a community/group of people such as the people around Muhammad, Ibrahim, Isha, Moosa, Zakariya, Maryam, or even you and me, etc..

Cheers!
mohammed noh
"When you realize the difference between the container and the content,
you will have knowledge."

- Idries Shah

Joe Betik

Quote from: Earthdom on June 30, 2013, 10:52:48 AM
Peace all.

I'm very dissapointed because I am lag of this discussion cause I'm rarely online in that time.

You're true uq, translating the Quran too literally or only use harfiyah tarjamah will be very misslead indeed.

I mean even we reject hadith or some tafsir kitabs as source for fiqh, aqidah, fatwa, but atleast we can still use them to found some Islamic terminologies.

The easy example is the meaning of word "junub" in 5:6.
Junub in literal meaning is "far" like in QS 28:11, in that ayat the word "junub" translated in to "far".

But it's imposibble if we translate the word "junub" as "far" in 5:6.
So the conclusion is we may translate the Quran literally but dont forget about tafsiriyah translation.

Salaam

Salam Earthdom,

I trust I have to post a commentary on the first part of your post. As for the second part of your post, I have already posted my comments.

1. Literal translation.

I read the Q to understand the message, and if ever I posted my personal understanding of the verses, then they are just my personal understanding. Although I seek God's counsel in my studies, never I do not claim to hold the sole truth of the meaning of the verses. It is up to God to reveal the meaning to me. And even then, I could have missed something or other. Thus I used to remind anyone reading my posts to simply consider to ponder. Otherwise forget it.

2. You have taken the word 'junub' in support of your stand that we cannot disregard "tafsiriyah".

Lets now look at 'j-n-b' here: http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=jnb.

Here is Hans Wehr's entry for 'junub': "in a state of major ritual impurity; not belonging to the tribe, not a kinsman."

While here is an edited version of Lane's entry: ?Ajnab? signifying A stranger; as also a man who is distant, or remote: or distant, or remote, in respect of relationship: or not a relation; and ?Janeeb? [as an act. part n.] signifies one alighting, or descending and abiding, or settling, as a stranger, among a tribe: ?Jaru aljunub? The person who is  one's neighbour, but who belongs to another people; who is not of one's family  nor of one's lineage; who is of another lineage than he of whom he is a neighbour; who is not a relation: or one who is distant, or remote, in an absolute sense: or the person who is not a relation to another, and who comes to him, and asks him to protect him, and abides with him: such has the title to respect that belongs to him as neighbour of the other, and to his protection, and as relying upon his safeguard and promise.

If you have the time to spend, please browse Lane's Lexicon here: http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/lane/

So how could we understand 5:6 (http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=5&verse=6)?

Lets ponder on my personal understanding:

You people who have believed, when you attend to a relationship/communion/gathering, wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows, wipe your heads and wash your feet up to the two ankles. And if you were ?junuban?, then have yourselves cleaned/a bath. And if you were ill or on a journey, or one of you comes from the latrine, or you have had sex with women but could not find water, then resort to an agreeable goodness, so wipe your faces and hands. God does not intend to put you in any difficulty, but He intends to make you clean, and to complete His comfort for you, so that perhaps you might be grateful.

[Please note that to me 'salat' = relationship (in its most general sense of the word such as a relationship with God, parents, siblings, community, etc.); communion (with God); gathering (with anyone/group that we have a relationship with).]

So what is 'junuban', then? Couldn't it be related with the idea of 'far' as you have asserted?

I trust it should, since the Q is consistent in word usage and meaning. The meaning has to be consistent with word usage.

In the above verse it relates to people who are 'far' or 'distant' from the group that was having the relationship/communion/gathering. So, 'junuban' in this verse could refer to 'newcomers' or 'strangers' to the event. People who come from distant places strictly for the event could also fall into this category. This must not be confused with those on a journey (AAala safarin), for they didn't make the journey purposely to attend the event; they just dropped by, rather.

An example of such event is like a lecture on the the forbidden occassion of reverence that was held in London. Some people took the bus to attend the lecture. Some had to drive only for a few minutes. But some had to take the train across the Europe, while some others had to take flights across the Pacific Ocean.

So those who had to take a long journey purposely for the event and those newcomers/strangers to the the people or the subject to be lectured upon, they are essentially 'junuban'.

Lets now look at 4:43 (http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=4&verse=43).

Lets ponder on my personal understanding:

You people who have believed, don?t approach relationship/communion/gathering when you are intoxicated, not until you know what you are saying, and not ?junuban? unless crossing path, and be it only after you have yourselves cleaned/a bath. But if you were ill or on a journey, or anyone of you came from the latrine, or have had sex with women but did not find water, then resort to an acceptable goodness, and so wipe your faces and your hands. Indeed God is pardoning with forgivness.

I hope you can now notice that the meaning for 'junuban' in verse 4:43 is consistent with verse 5:6.

We also note that 'junuban' in 4:43 is related with the next phrase, i.e. "... wala junuban illa AAabiree sabeelin ... ."

The phrase "... illa AAabiree sabeelin ... ," is the clue. In this verse we don't cross path with God, but with people - acquaintances and strangers.

It is normal that we would say hello and spend some time exchanging news or even personal experiences and comprehensions. Sometimes the acquaintance(s) or even us have strangers or newcomers in our company.

Sometimes the event is scheduled, at times impromptu. At times we would be discussing family matters, while at others we might be having a discussion on company marketing strategy. Even at others we might be approached by people with questions. All this is about 'salat' = relationship/gathering among people. It could be just two, or it could be in the thousands.

Preparing for the 'salat' = 'communion (with God)' is also the same - we need to prepare ourselves as mentioned in verse 5:6 and 4:43. We commune with God by meditation (bayt), everytime on waking up from sleep (musbiheen) as mentioned in Chaper 68 and every night as mentioned in Chapter 73.

So now comes the big question, "Am I doing 'the forgery of signification' simply because i do not follow others' understanding/translation, eventhough the meanings I have could easily be found in the dictionaries/lexicons?"

But please also note this again: Although I have a different comprehension regarding the Q from others, it does not mean that I consider their translations or understandings to be wrong. Never. To each his own, indeed.

Cheers!
mohammed noh
"When you realize the difference between the container and the content,
you will have knowledge."

- Idries Shah

Earthdom

Thank you abang Muhammad Nuh, your explanation about "junub" is very helpful.

I have no comment for your explanation, and I want study more so I will became smart like you.

Salaam from Indonesia
Tegar Abdul Hutama

Zulf

Quote from: Joe Betik on April 02, 2013, 10:44:46 PM
This is  :offtopic:, but perhaps I should also put a note here that in all my years of studying and discussing the lessons of the Q, I am now almost sure that the Q is not for any Tom, Dick and Harry. The Q is only for those who wanted to be true servants of God, thus willing to sacrifice their priceless possession and love, i.e. the mind.

It is not that God is against the mind that He created for us. No. He created the mind for us to think, to have common sense or to subscribe simple logic.

In the first revelation (Chapter 96) we learn that God created man to be dependant on Him, but do we always have God in the equations of the things we think and do? Isn't it common sense that since God created man to be dependant on Him, man should reciprocate by depending on God for everything. Isn't it common sense too when we learn that God teaches man what he knew not, we should reciprocate by learning with God as the teacher?

And a servant of God is one who appreciates/values the relationship/connection between himself/herself and God. As in any relationship, communication is key, thus he/she must talk to God, though one should never have this idea that God will surely speak to him/her. In the Q we learn that God is the ever-listener whenever we talk to Him. We also learn that He answers all of our prayers/du-a, no matter how oblivious we are of God's answers.

A servant of God also does whatever is commanded without questions, lest they become like the 'banee isra-eel' in the hadith of the heifer in Chapter 2.

But most people, even in this forum are careless or oblivious of the very basics of becoming true servants of God. They became servants of their very own minds, instead. They turned arrogant because they have ideas/notions (baneen) or good grasp of the Arabic language. Indeed, they have turned into the very proofs for the truth of the many hadith in the Q, because they are careless about the God who revealed the Q they claimed to study.

My apology, but I write this because I fear for some of you. "God knows best," is the perfect attitude, and therefore when we accept that we are not beholders of the truth, then we should never make dubious remarks on God, on the Q or on others. We must have respect for God, and of course for ourselves for having that attitude of "God knows best".

Indeed when we hold the truth, it will surely lead us to become humble peacemakers, but if we hold the false, it will definitely lead us to become arrogant instigators. We come across these terms in the Q that we study, and as such, this is how we should measure ourselves, I suggest.

Cheers!
Mohammed Noh

Brilliant!!  :bravo:
You put words to my thoughts!
If you name me, you negate me.

Bender

Quote from: Zulf on July 23, 2013, 06:36:05 PM
Brilliant!!  :bravo:
You put words to my thoughts!

Salaamun alayka,

I agree, very nice post!!