About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

The Movie Thread

Started by zenje, May 08, 2005, 10:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenje

Salaam people,

As some of you know, watching movies is one of my favorite 'pass times'. :D  

If you've watched anything interesting lately that you'd like to share or recommend, please feel free to post it here. It doesn't have to be a documentary on Islam... anything goes. :wink:

I'm excited about Star Wars (May 19), even though it's all coming to an end. No, I don't have, nor will I be wearing any costumes to go watch the movie... and I don't stand in lines for more than 10 minutes. :lol:  

My favorite movie of all time - Lord Of The Rings (Trilogy) 8)
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Fahad

peace all .
my all time favourite movie is "Gladiator" .

i also liked "Armageddon" and . and "Spider-Man 2" was the best super hero movie , i think .

i also liked "Shark Tale" .
[url=http://takhlees.blogspot.com/]Takhlees[/url] - [url=http://www.takhlees.blogspot.com]www.takhlees.blogspot.com[/url]

ThaPhenom

Peace,

I just saw Crash this weekend. Interesting movie...no plot, but not in a good way like Sin City. Actually, I was kinda wondering what the point of the movie was...other than his message that everybody is racist.

I usually watch at least one movie a weekend in the theatre, unless there's nothing good out. Last weekend it was Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (book was better) and XXX: State of the Union (not too bad).

Wakas

I watched 'saw' recently, I liked it.

Also, 'undercover brother' was surprisingly amusing. (humour style: Austin Powers / Rush Hour).
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

zenje

Quote from: "ThaPhenom"I usually watch at least one movie a weekend in the theatre, unless there's nothing good out.
I used to go to the movies every weekend, but I've slowed down a lot recently. There's not much worth $9 and the trip. So most of the times I watch the movies on DVD at home. I'm hoping this summer is as good as they hype it up to be.

I also watched Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and enjoyed it.  :D Makes you think how 'small and insignificant' we are in the grand scheme of things... like a hyperspace bypass, for example. :P
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Idris

peace all,

Sin City was pretty sick, best movie this year so far but I'm going to see Kingdom of Heaven soon, I know I'll love it cause I love epic battle movies, my favorite movie(s) of all time like zenje is the Lord of the Rings trilogy
Workers and their families may starve to death in the New World Order of economic rationality, but diamond necklaces are cheaper in elegant New York shops, thanks to the miracle of the market.
-Noam Chomsky

idolfree1

Peace be upon you,

Some of my favorites are

Matrix (all three)
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
House of Flying Daggers
I Robot
Star Wars Movies (cant wait for this one)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Master Killer (old Shaolin Kung Fu classic)

I have more, but cant think right now.

TheNabi

Salaam,

My favorites are:

Ghost
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Star Wars
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Raise the Red Lantern [Asian movie]
Top Gun
Interview with the Vampire

Joe
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek for verification & knowledge. ~> [3/190-191; 17/

Tay

Peace All,

In my opinion, as far as a pure epic battle movies go, Braveheart set the standard which is yet to be surpassed. I love Lord of the Rings for everything it offered. Same goes for Matrix.

I'm a little disappointed in the quality of mainstream movies. So, recently I've been trying to catch up on quality, less publicized films that I may have missed. The last one I've seen is "Pi", by Darren Aronofsky. It's a trippy, intense black and white flic about a genius mathematician who thinks there's some kind of mathemetical code to the universe:

Here's a snippet from Ebert:
"The movie is shot in rough, high-contrast black and white. Max, played by Sean Gullette, is balding, restless, paranoid and brilliant. He has debilitating headaches and nosebleeds. Symptoms of high blood pressure--or of the mental torment he's putting himself through. He's suspicious of everyone. The friendly Indian woman next door puts food by his door. He avoids her. He trusts only his old teacher, Sol (Mark Margolis). They play Go, a game deeper than chess, and Sol tells him to stop with the key to the universe business, already. He warns that he's spinning away from science and toward numerology.

Not everybody thinks so. His phone rings with the entreaties of Marcy (Pamela Hart), who works for a high-powered Wall Street analysis firm. They want to hire him as a consultant. They think he's onto something. He has predicted some prices correctly. At the deli, he runs into a Hasidic Jew named Lenny (Ben Shenkman), who seems casual and friendly but has a hidden mission: His group believes the Torah may be a code sent from God and may contain God's name."

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F19980724%2FREVIEWS%2F807240303%2F1023&AID1=%2F19980724%2FREVIEWS%2F807240303%2F1023&AID2=

Peace,
Tay
And you see the mountains, you think they are solid, while they are passing by like the clouds. The making of God who perfected everything. He is Expert over what you do. [27:88]

ThaPhenom

Peace zenje,

Quote from: "zenje"I used to go to the movies every weekend, but I've slowed down a lot recently. There's not much worth $9 and the trip.

I feel you on that. Out here in Cali it's $8 for the matinee shows and there's a theatre a couple of miles away from where I stay. I'm also a member of the AMC Moviewatcher Rewards program so sometimes I get free tickets here and there. Movie theaters don't really make money at the box office anyway. All that money goes to the studio who made the film. The movie theaters get their money off concessions...like when you pay 5 bucks for a bag of popcorn that cost them 25 cents to make. And don't forget the 3 bucks for a small coke.

Anyways, I really like watching movies, but I rarely watch the same movie twice. I don't have a list of all time favorites, but here's a list of more recent films that I really enjoyed:
Kung Fu Hustle
Sin City
Coach Carter
Hitch
Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
Kill Bill (vols. 1 and 2)
The Punisher