News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

The Book Thread

Started by zenje, October 20, 2004, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenje

For now, this can be the 'unofficial' Book Thread. Anything you want to discuss on books - recommendations, opinions, trades, maybe even something you want to give away.

Peace! :D
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

warda

Thank you Zenje!

---------------------------

Salam everybody and Ramadhan Kareem

now that we have a little more time to read in these days I would like to recommend two books here. As I am not a big cooking fan its not about recipes but about hadithes and the Quran.

The first is from the well known Maroccon writer Fatma Mernissi. She writes in Arabic and French. In the german translation it has a quite stupid title which doesn`t say anything about the content. But it seems to be very important for publishers that in a book about arabs and Isalm there has to be mentioned one of the following words: 1001, scarf, mysterious, (nowadays: terror), and HAREM. So the title of this book is (in german): The Political Harem; Mohammad and the woman. .
I`m sure that the author wouldn`t like the Title but anyway .... it is about her researches about the origin of hadith like: lam yaflah qawmun walllaw amrahun imra`a - There will never be prosperity for a people that is leaded by a woman (I hope its translated correct). Based on that hadith she examines who said that hadith, what kind of person was he (Abu Huraira), when and why did he say so, .... But it is not only about hadith.
She writes also about the hijab and its mentioning in the Quran, about the Prophet and how he treated (his) women. Very interesting!

The second book is from Yasar Nuri ?zt?rk, a very busy, very famous turkish islam philosoph who is "fighting" for a modern, liberal Islam. People in Turkey hate and love him. His opponents argue that he can`t be smarter than all the great thinkers before him... why should he find the truth after 1400 years ... (we know these arguements from this site) He is argueing that the Islam should be cleaned from extreme, hard making points which are not mentioned in the Quran. He wrote many books in turkish and some of them are translated into german and hopefully in english. He also translated books about famous Sufi thinkers into turkish and wrote about their life. The book I`m talking about here is called: 400 Sourda Islam - 400 Fragen zum Islam - 400 Questions about Islam.

Wish you a nice time, Bye :idea:

Wakas

I just finished reading:

"The New Pearl Harbour" by David Griffin

I highly recommend this book. It not only discusses the aspects of the official account that needs re-examining but also points out weaknesses in the so-called conspiracy theories. Treats the subject intelligently. Quite easy to read too.

I am currently reading:

"Web of Deceit" by Mark Curtis

Interesting so far, an eye-opener. Language/style not as fluid as I'd like though.

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Rahila

Peace all / moderators

I cannot see the book and food threads in the main Forum Index..

regards

Rahila

zenje

Quote from: "Rahila"I cannot see the book and food threads in the main Forum Index..
Umm... you just typed in it. :?

I created this, only because I cannot create a "section". But this should hold us up for now, I hope. :)

Peace!
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

idolfree1

Peace be upon you,

"Metu Neter" by Ra Un Nefer Amen

"Know Thyself" Naim Akbar

zenje

Something I read a while ago, but I just remembered it.

Richard Bach - Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

It may seem a little 'weird' to some, but it's a wonderful book that I don't mind reading again, every once in a while.

Peace!

PS - Also, Jonathan Livingston Seagull by the same author. :)

zenje

Salaam kyle,

I couldnt find the exact story I had read about the fish looking for water, but this is pretty close...

What is Zen?  The question perhaps can never be answered, because in the answering -  Zen would cease to exist. And Zen does exist, triumphantly and under many names, wherever man looks for a way of life, for a religion, for an aesthetic.
Inayat Khan tells a Hindu story  of a fish who asked of another fish: `I have always heard about the sea, but what is it? Where is it?' The other fish replied: `You live, move and have your being the sea. The sea is within you and without you, and you are made of sea, and you will end in sea. The sea surrounds you as your own being.' The only true answer is the one that you find for yourself.

:)

Peace

Peace be with you kyle,
I looked on chapters.indigo for metu neter and it was unavailable. You know where I can order this book from?  :)

Peace
A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it

marie

Hello,

Are there any readers of Harry Potter?

I am  reading the fifth volume  :lol:

After this, I will finish to read the book of brian Green on "the elegant universe"
And He is the God, there is no god but He.
[url="http://hanif.free.fr/"]http://hanif.free.fr/[/url]