News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Video Game Talk

Started by Jaxal, November 06, 2005, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxal

SaLaM everyone

Recently, i got my hands on F.E.A.R and Call Of Duty 2. Well i had assignments to give in on monday so i have been working all night. Thought i take a break and F.E.A.R comes into mind. 'might as well play it' i think to myself and i install it and start it up.
IT WAS HORRIBLE. I have never wanted to swear at a game like i wanted to at this one. And after about 1 hour 20 mins of trying to figure out what the hell was goin wrong, i discover that the game doesnt support my graphic card which is nVidia 5200. The only ones it supports is:

ATI(TM)

Catalyst(TM) Drivers (Windows(R) 2000/XP): v5.8

Radeon(R) 9000 Series
 Radeon(R) 9500 Series
 Radeon(R) 9600 Series
 Radeon(R) 9700 Series
 Radeon(R) 9800 Series
 Radeon(R) X600 Series
 Radeon(R) X700 Series
 Radeon(R) X800 Series
 Radeon(R) X850 Series

NVIDIA(R)

ForceWare(TM) Drivers (Windows(R) 2000/XP): v77.77

GeForce(TM) 4 Ti Series
 GeForce(TM) FX 5900 Series
 GeForce(TM) 6600 Series
 GeForce(TM) 6800 Series
 GeForce(TM) 7800 Series

No doubt the game looks nice and all in screenshots at GameSpot but even people with those cards are having the same problem. I got 5 frames per second. That bad. However, i did manage to play the game at the lowest setting possible, where it looks like Doom I and it did look good. So if any of you going to buy this game, make sure you got the above card. Otherwise its not better than throwing ur money away.
She Made Me See The World In A Grain Of Sand.
When The Only Choice You Have Left Is The Wrong One, It'S Not A Choice Anymore... It's Fate.

savage_carrot

Peace Jaxal,

You have a very old video card. It's no wonder it's not working properly. You should upgrade as soon as possible or you will have problems running any game you buy after this unless it's Ms. Pacman. I have the Nvidia 6800 ultra and I hope it will last me the release of certain games I am waiting for, I imagine those coming out in first and second quarter of 2006. After that I'll have to upgrade.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Jaxal

SaLaM SC

Make that a video card AND ram. Right now my spec are

P4 HT
3.02 GHz
nVidia 5200
512 ram
410 GB HD

Do you have 3d mark? It shows how well ur graphic card is. Well... the score it gave me was 240  :oops: . Which is so pathetic that jumping off a cliff seems like a leisure activity. You know like 'pani mae doob marna' ? Even that dont seem to do it. loooooll. But i will tell you what. DirectX also makes a difference. I can bet anything that if it was giving the option to choose directX7, i wouldnt be having these problems. That is kinda the reason they choose those specific cards actually. Im also waiting for Need For Speed Most Wanted. I have all the series of that game from NFS 2. But yes, i will be upgrading my video card soon along with my RAM. Hopefully i can play F.E.A.R then  :?
When The Only Choice You Have Left Is The Wrong One, It'S Not A Choice Anymore... It's Fate.

savage_carrot

Peace Jax,

Thanks for letting me know about 3d mark. I'm gonna d/l it and see what it says, though I already know my card is fine for at least next year with the ram too though might upgrade that...let's see what the scores will be, kinda exciting. Directx7 is old hat, they won't give you that option now...it's all about the 9's at this point in time.

Jaxal

SaLaM SC

I believe in the saying 'Old is Gold'. HL2 shared the same problems like F.E.A.R . The newer the game gets, the more problems it brings. For example, Empire Earth 2. The lag you got in it was annoying. Absolutely spoiled the fun of the whole game. But you dont find this problem in C&C TS. Also AOE 2 was smooth. But with AOE III, well no.. i cant complain coz AOE III ran near perfect on my computer. Hmmm. I wonder if getting a newer nvidia card will boost my GTA SA performance  :hmm . What is your computer spec?

savage_carrot

Peace Jax,

It's the video card, ram and speed I guess which is imp for gaming performance...my specs are, P4 3.4 Ghz and 512 ram, (though I need to upgrade the ram definitely) and Nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra (256 MB)...the rest of the specs don't really matter. I have had crashes though while running old 3d games, which I think is most likely due to the power supply. You might try looking into that as well if you ever experience crashes with your new video card.

Jaxal

SaLaM SC

How much is a nvidia 7800 where you live? Ive been looking at it . its ?325 in uk. Maybe if its cheaper where you live, then i can buy it from there. Or ebay which im not too keen on.

savage_carrot

Pax Jax,

Hmm, would love to help you out definitely but to tell you the truth, kuwait is way behind technologically, people don't know much here about gaming let alone videocards, I was lucky to get the 6800 ultra after much determination and pressure from my side on the poor guy who had no idea how to build a good pc let alone my dream pc at the time. I don't think the 7800 is currently available here and if it is by any stroke of luck the prices will be through the roof as kuwait is also known for not being any cheaper than the uk. The prices may drop soon though, maybe a little wait might be worth it eh? That's what i'm going to do with the 360 as well, wait a year then buy it when it's cheaper.

Jaxal

Paix SC

I bet in 1 year i will be seeing 360 in sunday markets loooooolll. U know what sunday markets are? its like a big car boot sale where u can buy many many many differenct and very interesting things. Tell me SC. Do you normally play on a high graphic settings? and do you experiance any lag?

savage_carrot

Pax Jax,

Heheh, we call them sunday bazaar's in karachi, but then you also have them on tuesday, friday and I think monday too, but the sunday ones are the biggest...Yeah sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous and no lag, just a crash if i'm unlucky enough, normally I choose the middle road. Thats because I have yet to change my power supply...though once thats in, and I make a few upgrades the sky is the limit, at least till august of next year.