News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

7 surprising health benefits of Ramadan

Started by farida, August 03, 2012, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farida

Quote from: justamuslim on August 05, 2012, 03:26:44 PM
do you really need a study showing the adverse effects of disturbance in circadian rhythm, sleep disturbance?

here's some which i believe was posted by 357 in another thread (i think):

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 Apr;82(4):1261-73.
Ramadan diet restrictions modify the circadian time structure in humans. A study on plasma gastrin, insulin, glucose, and calcium and on gastric pH.
Iraki L, Bogdan A, Hakkou F, Amrani N, Abkari A, Touitou Y.
Source
Hassan II Foundation for Scientific and Medical Research on Ramadan, Facult? de M?decine et de Pharmacie, Casablanca, Morocco.
Abstract
The rule of Ramadan (1 month of food and water intakes restricted to night hours) is followed by the majority of the Moslem fraction of the human population, but the possible consequences of this long-lasting modification of food intake schedule on public health have not yet been extensively documented. Therefore, a group of healthy control subjects and a group of healed duodenal ulcer patients were studied before (controls), during (both groups), and after (both groups) the month of Ramadan. The time-restricted food and water intakes were associated with variations of gastric pH, plasma gastrin, insulin, glucose, and calcium documented on a circadian basis. All of the studied biological variables, except insulin, underwent changes in their 24-h mean concentration (e.g. decrease in gastric pH, increase in plasma gastrin), some of which were still present 1 month after the end of Ramadan. The circadian patterns of all the studied variables were altered during the month of Ramadan. Some differences between the group of healthy control subjects and the group of healed duodenal ulcer patients may suggest a greater susceptibility of the latter to the modifications of feeding and sleeping schedule, which could possibly be a risk factor for the disease.
Epidemiological study: chronotype and daytime sleepiness before and during Ramadan.
Taoudi Benchekroun M, Roky R, Toufiq J, Benaji B, Hakkou F
Abstract
Few epidemiological data have been reported on the relation between Ramadan fasting, life habits (meal frequency, sleep habits) and daytime sleepiness during Ramadan. This paper presents the results of a detailed study of the chronotype and daytime sleepiness before and during Ramadan. It was conducted on a sample of 264 subjects aged between 20 and 30 years. Results have revealed a significant decrease in the meal frequency during Ramadan compared with the control period. Before Ramadan, the majority of subjects woke up between 6 and 7 a.m. and went to sleep between 10 and 11 p.m. however, during Ramadan fasting, they woke up after 8 a.m. and preferred to go to sleep later (after midnight). Chronotype as evaluated by the Horne and Ostberg scale was changed significantly during Ramadan: an increase of the evening type and a decrease in the morning type of subjects was observed. Daytime sleepiness as evaluated by the Epworth Sleepiness Scale was significantly increased

No dear! I do not need what you are calling a study; to me this is observation and speculation (underlined for you in red). I rely on solid studies with references and qualifications of those involved in a particular study, and the concrete results and also a recognised reliable source, as can be seen in: http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9604176, which may be too much for some to digest.