News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

about polygamy

Started by mr. humble, July 23, 2008, 11:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wootah

Quote from: liquiddharma on July 06, 2010, 05:00:54 PM
I'm totally with you, there's no logic to thinking person in the scriptures must be perfect and without sin. But then, Christianity is even worse than Islam when it comes to this, right? There are lots bits of the NT where Jesus comes across as breaking a commandment or two. Wouldn't it be better if both Christianity and Islam accepted that just because a servant of God receives God's grace, it doesn't mean they don't make any mistakes?

Liquiddharma the problem's are:

- that Christians think Jesus is God. I as a Christian can't reconcile sinful prophets after Jesus.

- and from my understanding of Islam, Muslims won't allow for the notion of more prophets after Mohammad whereas it seems entirely plausible that if mankind loses its way (as it can) then there would be a need for more prophets. What's more Muslims can't criticise Mohammad because it basically invalidates Islam.

- and if we are both wrong and just following ancient superstitions that have nothing to do with our actual lives (we can all admit privately that that can sometimes seem true) too many people are persecuted in families, cultures and society simply because they don't believe what we think they should believe.
I'm a Christian ... just letting you know.

Bigmo

I'm totally with you, there's no logic to thinking person in the scriptures must be perfect and without sin. But then, Christianity is even worse than Islam when it comes to this, right? There are lots bits of the NT where Jesus comes across as breaking a commandment or two. Wouldn't it be better if both Christianity and Islam accepted that just because a servant of God receives God's grace, it doesn't mean they don't make any mistakes?

I think because my grandfather and his brothers had polygamous marriages so I see the issue differently. I don't see polygamy the way some here might do. This is the problem with value judgement is that its subjective and it depends on personal experiences.

Anyways there is no evidence from scriptures that polygamy is a sin. Why then see the prophets having commited some mistake or sin because of polygamy? Prophets are not sinnless as the Koran tells us. If so why would prophets pray for their own forgiveness? This is Chriatian or Islamic doctrine but not scripture doctrine.

The question is on what basis are we saying that polygamy is a sin or something evil? My experience does not see it that way. Some polygamous marriages work and some don't just like many monogamous marriages work and some don't. Maybe its an ideology or it is the idea of polygamy that people don't like. But there is no evidence from scripture that it is a sin. The Koran clearly does not encourage polygamy and favors monogamy because of bias by the husband. I can relate to that since my experience has been that this issue more than any other ruins a polygamous marriage. But its not the same as adultery or abandonement. Anyways I am not too sure many here have any experience regarding polygamy. The idea that polygamous marraiges create some dysfunctional families is simply not true, at least from my experience.
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

Rev.John

I completely agree with you. Jesus had a temper, which showed itself when he overturned the tables and hit people in the temple. He was also quite rude to his mother at times. So he broke at least two commandment.  However you look at it Jesus was a human being (at least in part) with all the feelings and emotions that go with being human.
[url="http://www.christianchurchofreality.com"]http://www.christianchurchofreality.com[/url]
Only God has the answer and only God knows the truth
www.islandminister.com

Just so you know, I am a God-alone Christian and a Church Minister

Leyna

Quote from: Bigmo on July 07, 2010, 06:25:07 AM
The idea that polygamous marraiges create some dysfunctional families is simply not true

Yes, it is. Please see the study I referred to on the previous page. Also, there are other studies out there, for example about polygamous marriages in Mormon families, which clearly prove the negative effect on children.

aynur

Quote from: Bigmo on July 07, 2010, 06:25:07 AM
I think because my grandfather and his brothers had polygamous marriages so I see the issue differently. I don't see polygamy the way some here might do. This is the problem with value judgement is that its subjective and it depends on personal experiences.

Anyways there is no evidence from scriptures that polygamy is a sin. Why then see the prophets having commited some mistake or sin because of polygamy? Prophets are not sinnless as the Koran tells us. If so why would prophets pray for their own forgiveness? This is Chriatian or Islamic doctrine but not scripture doctrine.

The question is on what basis are we saying that polygamy is a sin or something evil? My experience does not see it that way. Some polygamous marriages work and some don't just like many monogamous marriages work and some don't. Maybe its an ideology or it is the idea of polygamy that people don't like. But there is no evidence from scripture that it is a sin. The Koran clearly does not encourage polygamy and favors monogamy because of bias by the husband. I can relate to that since my experience has been that this issue more than any other ruins a polygamous marriage. But its not the same as adultery or abandonement. Anyways I am not too sure many here have any experience regarding polygamy. The idea that polygamous marraiges create some dysfunctional families is simply not true, at least from my experience.

I agree, I don't think polygamous marriages are necessarily "evil".  But, I also don't see them as something that should be practiced by everyone, or that they should be seen as the "norm" in today's societies ... the problem seems to stem from the fact that men will have more than 1 wife just because he can, and he doesn't treat them equally or fair.  I couldn't fathom sharing my husband, but we didn't enter our marriage thinking that it'd be polygamous.  It does have its purpose, and it depends what the wife wants out of the marriage as well.

Wootah

Quote from: Rev.John on July 07, 2010, 11:38:32 AM
I completely agree with you. Jesus had a temper, which showed itself when he overturned the tables and hit people in the temple. He was also quite rude to his mother at times. So he broke at least two commandment.  However you look at it Jesus was a human being (at least in part) with all the feelings and emotions that go with being human.
Now which emote best applies? ??? or :rotfl: oh here it is:  :whatever: or  :yeah:
I'm a Christian ... just letting you know.

liquiddharma

Jesus addresses his mother, aka the virgin Mary, John 2v4 - "Woman, what concern is that of mine? My hour has not come yet".

10 Commandments of Moses in Exodus - "Honour thy father and thy mother".

Rev.John

Quote from: Wootah on July 08, 2010, 05:46:51 AM
  Now which emote best applies? ??? or :rotfl: oh here it is:  :whatever: or  :yeah:

These things are documented in the Bible. Do you deny them?
[url="http://www.christianchurchofreality.com"]http://www.christianchurchofreality.com[/url]
Only God has the answer and only God knows the truth
www.islandminister.com

Just so you know, I am a God-alone Christian and a Church Minister

Ozi Kristi-lee

Salamunalaykom. Instead of just copying and pasting information, i suggest you research statistics for yourself. THERE IS MORE MEN IN THE WORLD THAN WOMEN. Yes there are countries with more women than men, such as Australia. From birth up until about age 50, men and women are equal in numbers, but 50 onwards men dye off before women. So there is more old women than old men, so thats why there is more women. But please, dont act like muslim men go around and marry these old women. In  countries such as China and India, there is more MEN than WOMEN.

Salamunalaykom

shadowpuppet

Quote from: mr. humble on July 23, 2008, 11:16:18 PM
In Islam, limited polygyny is permitted; whereas polyandry is completely prohibited.

Depends on your interpretation.
There is really no Quranic verse to back that.

In fact, there are societies in places like Indonesia where this 'polyandry' does occur and the group, though Islamic in nature, is matriarchal in structure. It isn't common but it does happen.

It's also been documented in Tibet and other regions with similar social structuring.