News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Interesting Article Concerning Dubai

Started by Roshan, April 07, 2009, 07:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roshan

Peace:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

One reason why I would never, voluntarily, travel to Dubai.

It is the third world with money. Other people are beginning to realise this too (I think I saw a pretty similar thing on Al Jazeera).

Anyone live around that area. In the future it will be a testament to man's stupidity.

Roshan

javed1

Salam
The article is extremly cynical,negative.Its not so bad at all.Conditions for the workers have improved tremendously over the last few years and if given a free choice over 90% would opt to stay primarily because things r even worse in their home countries esp Pakistan and Bangladesh.The exploitation of the worker mostly starts in their home countries with agents in collusion with local government officials extracting huge sums to send him out and i dont think the Dubai govt is either involved or benefits from this extortion.
more later on the other points in the article.
Javed

jankren

Meh, I fail to see the problem. No country is perfect. An-anti American journalist for example can also write similarly negative article about American society. Those unfortunate people in the article should have learnt about Dubai more prior to going to the country. There is no such a thing as heaven on earth where you can party 24 hours without expecting repercussion. Its similar as a story about a Mexican immigrant who risked his life to crossing the desert into USA only to get arrested by the American border patrol upon reaching the Land of Freedom.

With all its minus, the Arab Gulf States are still much more advanced relatively socially and especially economically than the rest of the Arab World. Just remember Rome wasnt built in one day. Just 20 years ago UAE was nothing but desert. It took USA 200 years to get where they are now. And dont forget just 30 years ago in USA people with black skin and white skin couldnt share the same bathroom, drinking fountain, school, or seats in public places.

In my opinion the problem with Dubai is that its moving too fast. However I can understand this because Dubai has nothing but oil and sand. Now the oil is dwindling and they need to exploit it as quick as they can in order to have a country with an economy independent from oil. Lets see what will become of Saudi Arabia for example when oil stops serving them. They will be back to their camels and fighting over water wells.

"We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians."
- Nelson Mandela

"Hesitation leads to masturbation."
- Socrates

Roshan

Quote from: jankren on April 07, 2009, 08:28:59 PM
Those unfortunate people in the article should have learnt about Dubai more prior to going to the country. There is no such a thing as heaven on earth where you can party 24 hours without expecting repercussion. Its similar as a story about a Mexican immigrant who risked his life to crossing the desert into USA only to get arrested by the American border patrol upon reaching the Land of Freedom.

Firstly, like I said, al Jazeera has carried similar stories about Dubai. On your first sentence, the (Bengali) guys had a contract which has not been honoured and they have had their passports taken away so your first comment does not apply.

As for your comment on the Mexican immigrant - this example is totally different. The Mexican breaks the law of his own volition to attempt to earn money in the U.S.A.. So stories about the poor lives they lead or their desperation is only their fault because they have made their own decision. These people, in Dubai, have done everything legally (for instance I remember reading an article about a doctor who came from South America do U.K. could not get a job and worked as a menial worker, he wrote to the newspaper and was castigated for this).

The fact that they have such primitive laws and morality, despite their lifestyle, is proof that Dubai is the 3rd world with money.

jankren

Quote from: Roshan on April 08, 2009, 07:07:59 AM
Firstly, like I said, al Jazeera has carried similar stories about Dubai. On your first sentence, the (Bengali) guys had a contract which has not been honoured and they have had their passports taken away so your first comment does not apply.
Their contract is with who? Dubai employers or local agencies in their own countries?

As for your comment on the Mexican immigrant - this example is totally different. The Mexican breaks the law of his own volition to attempt to earn money in the U.S.A.. So stories about the poor lives they lead or their desperation is only their fault because they have made their own decision. These people, in Dubai, have done everything legally (for instance I remember reading an article about a doctor who came from South America do U.K. could not get a job and worked as a menial worker, he wrote to the newspaper and was castigated for this).
Then just like the Mexicans they can just stay the hell in their own countries. If they dont like Dubai then dont go there.

QuoteThe fact that they have such primitive laws and morality, despite their lifestyle, is proof that Dubai is the 3rd world with money.
So what if Dubai is a 3rd world country? Nobody in the world ever said Dubai was a developed country. Developments in Dubai are still happening all over the country. I dunno why you seem to be so jealous of Dubai's success. Like I said despite its drawbacks Dubai and other Gulf States are still ahead of the rest of the primitive Middle East.

"We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians."
- Nelson Mandela

"Hesitation leads to masturbation."
- Socrates

Roshan

Quote from: jankren on April 08, 2009, 09:44:45 PM
Then just like the Mexicans they can just stay the hell in their own countries. If they dont like Dubai then dont go there.

Sorry, but this is a totally flawed comment. If I sign a contract with a company even through a middle man, I expect that contract to be honoured. The abuse is obviously, to some extent, carried out by the people in Dubai. Furthermore, your statement implies some sort of time travel or psychic abilities (going to Dubai, not liking it, then not going there [what about their passports!]).

That is not, in any way, equivalent to illegal migration. The people who go there probably have not heard from their brethren who are practically slaves.

QuoteI dunno why you seem to be so jealous of Dubai's success.

Building tall gleaming buildings and using slave labour to do so is not progress (they have actually squandered their wealth). You also forget other areas have done similar things (Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait [all small countries with oil and natural gas]). One country I have a lot of respect for is Singapore. This country was a swamp 40 years ago, did not have oil has built up an economy, GDP, judiciary etc. and has a society that is far more advanced than many western countries. As an ethnic (South) Asian, I have tremendous respect for all Asian societies that have done well (e.g. Japan, Korea Republic) especially if they have kept their values. The Middle Eastern countries have got money, through their natural resources, but are not developed countries.

QuoteSo what if Dubai is a 3rd world country?

Because it could have been better. What drives my comments is not resentment, but disapointment.

M_Mehdi

Quote from: Roshan on April 10, 2009, 05:44:22 AM
Building tall gleaming buildings and using slave labour to do so is not progress (they have actually squandered their wealth).

wow! Well said!

Roshan... Khamush nasho...

Bigmo

Quote from: Roshan on April 10, 2009, 05:44:22 AM
Sorry, but this is a totally flawed comment. If I sign a contract with a company even through a middle man, I expect that contract to be honoured. The abuse is obviously, to some extent, carried out by the people in Dubai. Furthermore, your statement implies some sort of time travel or psychic abilities (going to Dubai, not liking it, then not going there [what about their passports!]).

That is not, in any way, equivalent to illegal migration. The people who go there probably have not heard from their brethren who are practically slaves.

Building tall gleaming buildings and using slave labour to do so is not progress (they have actually squandered their wealth). You also forget other areas have done similar things (Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait [all small countries with oil and natural gas]). One country I have a lot of respect for is Singapore. This country was a swamp 40 years ago, did not have oil has built up an economy, GDP, judiciary etc. and has a society that is far more advanced than many western countries. As an ethnic (South) Asian, I have tremendous respect for all Asian societies that have done well (e.g. Japan, Korea Republic) especially if they have kept their values. The Middle Eastern countries have got money, through their natural resources, but are not developed countries.

Because it could have been better. What drives my comments is not resentment, but disapointment.

I second that.  :peace:

Dubai was never really different from other Gulf states. No political parties, no labor unions, still one family rule, no civil organizations and no real intellectual class with a visible presence. It is a very tribal society and its governed that way. There are of course certain social realities that did not help, like the demographic imbalance. But by and large I see it your way. There is no excuse for what Dubai did to its migrants labor. The ruling class operate the economy and its in their interest to keep the labor class in slavery. The lesson to learn in Dubai is you need to seperate the public sector from the private sector. But as long as the wealth of these nations is under the hands of the ruling family thats not going to happen. One thing you notice in the Arabian Gulf nations is that there is no political avtivites like you find in other Arab countries. Egypt and Sudan and Lebanon and Algeria you find Islamic parties, social parties, communist parties, labor unions, opposition groups etc. There in the gulf its a tribal ruling class that generally controls all the oil wealth of their nations and is therefore well placed top dominate their societies much more than the Husni Mubaraks, the Bashar Al Asads or the Omar Al Bashirs who still have to crack down on their opponents every now and then.
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

Roshan

M_Mehdi

in Farsi roshan = a light turned on
khamush nasho = dont turn off