News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Is it okay to get cats fixed

Started by Amra94, May 14, 2019, 12:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

good logic

Can you imagine if all domesticated cats, dogs and other animals were let loose in the streets?
It is now an irreversible trend of "pets" for humans. Some are treated fine others are abused. Society are left to pick up the pieces for all the unfortunate mistreated animals thanks to some good willing and helpful humans.

I have a dog, rescued from a home. To me we are the best of friends, also from the dog behaviour and interaction with me I feel that the friendship is reciprocated.. Just how do I get to choose what is best for my dog? Send him to the wild? Where? I do not know where "wild" dogs live? It is not practical nor does it exist where I live. So I look after him and he looks after me for now!!!

Had the situation been different and all animals were left to their instinct from the beginning, it would be different and I would not want to change it .

Love inside a person and their intentions are the main thing. Love all creations and treat them with respect that is all one can do as things stand.
A difficult balance to get right . Our desires and lack of knowledge is the issue.
GOD bless.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28[/url]

Amra94

Quote from: Cerberus on May 15, 2019, 02:18:13 AM
I personally think it's unethical. And fundamentally rooted to a lack of understanding of life in general.

I rather a cat live as a cat and die as a cat than for it to live like some house furniture and then die of old age.

I had a male cat who started wanting to go outside as soon as he became a young adult and I used to let him leave, every night, sometimes he'll leave for days and come back full of scratches, hurt. He'd eat, sleep and leave again. One day he never came back. I assumed he got lost or died.

A fundamental part of being an animal is about following your instincts, and their instinct is to explore, hunt, mate and fight other males over territory.
Even if life could be risky and perilous outside, I rather the cat live the life of a cat. That's what the cat wants too. And they're also much more prepared for survival than we are.

What is accomplished when a cat is neutered, declawed, and left to live a longer life indoors deprived from its freedom ? And what is accomplished when a cat is left naturally, lived a shorter life but with all its freedom ?
Nothing much is accomplished, these things live and die for the earth. They wake up, chase after pleasure and go to sleep.

Do I have a say in this as a human ? Not really. As someone who doesn't aspire to live that kind of life, all I can do is let them live that kind of life.
And much of this is true for humans who live the life of the animal.

I actually started a thread about this in this forum back in the time when I was contemplating this issue:
if you were a pet
I think there is more to learn about us than it is to learn about animals when thinking about animals.
And as you can see, there is a lot more to morality than just claims like "changing the creation of Allah"

Yeah I agree you shouldn't keep a cat locked inside if they have a desire to go outside on their own and explore. Not all cats are like that so for those that like being indoors I think it's fine to keep them in. Our cat adopted us a few months ago and luckily he doesn't venture too far away when he goes outside, hes always back in like an hour and just hangs out in the yard. And I don't really worry about him getting into fights because he's not aggressive or territorial. He's like the perfect cat.

But I think because cats are domesticated animals it might be a good thing to spay and neuter in order to keep feral cat population under control because they do suffer from contagious diseases, hunger, etc unfortunately we can't help all of them live a better life..

Cerberus

I think I should have worded myself a little better.

If you think you're doing the pet a great service I don't see an issue here. I guess like good logic said, it's all about the intent. Some people are just obsessed about turning beautiful things into their own, even if it meant taking away their freedom and/or altering them physically.

When I got that cat I spoke about earlier, I didn't actually get it I was going home one day and I turn around there is this little kitten following me, I ask some kid how long this kitten has been here ? the kid says all night. I made the judgement that this kitten will be better under my care. Under my care, not my own. So when the cat grew up and wanted to leave to mate and what not I found no objection, and where I live there is still potential to live outdoors, so I let him be. Even if it meant a risk of death.

But my argument was based on my situation, and in your situation there might not be a potential for life outdoors where you live. So taking them indoors and possibly doing the "adjustements" if you really have to could be the best solution. Just make the reasoning for it and have the right intentions. Don't just follow the "new norms" or trends. Who makes them and on what basis they do so ?

I currently feed cats outside my house. The cats appreciate it and show affection. I wouldn't go out of my way and make one of them my own unless I judge it BEST FOR THEM.

It's also a good time to ask why are people getting pets ? Are there any ethical reasons of getting a pet ? Doing a service to the animal is obviously one of them. This is very pertinent specially when you have people with caged birds, fish in aquarium, wild animals (like snakes and what not)

huruf

It is like any relationship. The important thing is not how it came but what you intend out of it. The point is that it is a relationship, and a relationship to work must be fair and do service to those in it.

Pets today fulfill emotional services for people. Humans relationships seem to be too much loaded today with noise and considerations that unpurify them. So pets are a good compensation. Empathic animals like dogs are a Godsent.

So the question as to why human relationships today are so downgraded is a question in its own. But I do not think that there is a competition between relationships with pets and rleationship with people. I think the latter are spoilt, but doing away with relationship with pets would not mend them, and would deprive us of a balancing factor which is a good emotional relationship. To have a warm living thing which caresses you and you caress without any other calculation is obviously something good to have, and the question is not merely self-seeking, since animals do give you some work too, particularly if they have illnesses or problems. The point is that in a relationship you will get something but must also put in something, which if there is sincerity and kindness should not be too hard and the compensations are great.

I do agree that something is not working with human relationships. We have been loaded with "culture" crap which contaminates all human dealings. Whereas with pets we have sincerity, with persons we may try but it is very much conditionned. Not something to be solved in afew messages in a forum.

Still thanks be to God and may He bless all animals that are loving to us. 

Salaam

Amra94

Quote from: Cerberus on May 16, 2019, 01:00:48 AM

It's also a good time to ask why are people getting pets ? Are there any ethical reasons of getting a pet ? Doing a service to the animal is obviously one of them. This is very pertinent specially when you have people with caged birds, fish in aquarium, wild animals (like snakes and what not)

We have parakeets but we don't keep them in a cage, we keep them in an extra room where they have a tree house. Imo they're much better off inside because they're not wild birds. They would probably die of hunger within days if we set them free.

Mohammed.

peace,

Not at all agreeing treating animals with man made medicines/treatments. Its all based on human understanding. Who knows the side effects(long term) of these medicines?(which cannot find through experiments). Animals cannot express their feelings/pains as such with human, right?
Who knows that these doctor fellows won't find it wrong in the future?

WHO cures the wild animals when they are ill? (e.g. wounds after fighting). [I witnessed curing without any medicines.]

I think there is no need of a pet in a Happy human family.

In my home sometime cats will come and sometimes dogs but they are not ours/pets (I usually do not let them to come inside the home without reason). Sometime cat comes with its babies. I like to observe their life.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Mohammed.

QuoteWho knows that these doctor fellows won't find it wrong in the future?

We already know about many medicines which are banned after understanding its adverse effects (i.e. after years of consumption by patients)

See another example,

Qur'an's method to determine pregnancy is waiting for a few Full-moons/months (e.g. for finalising divorce).

And modern-world/doctors suggest ultrasound.

but now people understanding the problems..
"Although ultrasound imaging is generally considered safe when used prudently by appropriately trained health care providers, ultrasound energy has the potential to produce biological effects on the body. Ultrasound waves can heat the tissues slightly. In some cases, it can also produce small pockets of gas in body fluids or tissues (cavitation)."
https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/medical-imaging/ultrasound-imaging

"When modern sophisticated equipment is used at maximum operating settings for Doppler examinations, the acoustic outputs are sufficient to produce obvious biological effects, e.g. significant temperature increase in tissue or visible motion of particles due to radiation pressure streaming effects. The risk of inducing thermal effects is greater in the second and third trimesters, when fetal bone is intercepted by the ultrasound beam and significant temperature increase can occur in the fetal brain."
https://chriskresser.com/natural-childbirth-iib-ultrasound-not-as-safe-as-commonly-thought/
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Amra94

Quote from: Mohammed. on May 21, 2019, 11:17:14 PM
peace,

Not at all agreeing treating animals with man made medicines/treatments. Its all based on human understanding. Who knows the side effects(long term) of these medicines?(which cannot find through experiments). Animals cannot express their feelings/pains as such with human, right?
Who knows that these doctor fellows won't find it wrong in the future?

WHO cures the wild animals when they are ill? (e.g. wounds after fighting). [I witnessed curing without any medicines.]

I think there is no need of a pet in a Happy human family.

In my home sometime cats will come and sometimes dogs but they are not ours/pets (I usually do not let them to come inside the home without reason). Sometime cat comes with its babies. I like to observe their life.
God is the healer but that doesn't mean we have to avoid medicine and medical procedures just because they're man made treatments. What's wrong with praying to God for healing AND seeking treatment..

Mohammed.

Quote from: Amra94 on May 24, 2019, 05:10:37 PM
God is the healer but that doesn't mean we have to avoid medicine and medical procedures just because they're man made treatments. What's wrong with praying to God for healing AND seeking treatment..

My view regarding the subject
https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9610495.0

Amra94

Quote from: Mohammed. on May 24, 2019, 10:03:26 PM
My view regarding the subject
https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9610495.0
No offense but people who think that way give me a headache. You got some good answers to your question.