News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Project: Free Classical Arabic Dictionary/Lexicon (Lane)

Started by Wakas, August 01, 2005, 12:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakas

peace be upon you All,

As part of my input into studyquran, I have decided to launch a project to distribute the monumental work of Edward Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon for free. Thats right, free.

Since it is out of copyright, it can be copied and uploaded onto the internet easily, but this involves conversion of the pages first.

I have did some research, and planned the costs, and the results are as follows:

1) All 8 volumes (about 3200 pages) can be scanned into a word-searchable PDF document. To view/open PDF files, you need Adobe Acrobat reader, which is free to download.

2) A special page will be created in studyquran and each of the 3200 pages will be uploaded, and also as one large file encompassing the entire Lexicon, giving flexibility in work-method. All files will be available for download.

3) As part of the conversion process, I will receive all files on one CD (or perhaps DVD depending on the size). Thus I will be able to make as many copies as I want to distribute them worldwide to whoever wants one (if they dont wish to download the files for some reason) at cost-price, and you will also be able to make as many copies as you wish.

4) The uploaded pages will be incorporated into PRL, which means when people look-up a root, not only will they be able to see its possible meanings from various Lexicons, every occurrence of the root in 'al quran' (separated by specific derivative), comments on grammar, but also they will be able to click on a link in which the relevant pages of Lane's Lexicon will be shown if they wish to see what it says about the root.

The total cost of this project will be: from ?290 to ?450

The reason for the price range is because I am still finalising some points with the company who gave me the lower quote.

This is a call for funds/money for this project. Anyone who wishes to contribute towards this goal should send money (whatever they wish to contribute) through paypal to:

The time allowed for funds/money to be sent will be one month. After which, this project will go ahead, no matter what the funds/money raised is. Thus, theoretically, one can contribute nothing to this project and still reap its benefits.

If the total is reached prior to the one month deadline, a message will be posted here letting everyone know. If there is excess money/funds, it will be donated to charity. All acount information will be posted for transparency purposes, once the project is complete.

------

For those unfamiliar with what Lane's Lexicon is, it is imply an Arabic-English dictionary which discusses the meanings and forms of Arabic roots & words, from Classical Arabic sources, which is crucial in studying 'al quran', which is in Classical Arabic. It took the author over 30 years to produce and it is considered the greatest Arabic-English lexicon/dictionary in the world today. And you, and future generations can have it for free!

Quote from: "Prof. A.J. Arberry (who translated 'al quran')"'It is a work of such fundamental importance and of such matchless excellence that praise for it is quite superfluous. Every Arabist since Lane has had good cause to bless him for his superhuman labours ... It is certainly true to say that every work produces in this century relating in any way to Arabic studies has drawn heavily on the Lexicon.'

------

Please note: This project is a non-profit based initiative, and is for research/education purposes.

Any questions/suggestions, feel free to post them here...

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Wakas

Here are samples images scanned by me, not the companies:

http://www.studyquran.co.uk/PLL.htm

If anyone has any OCR software for English or Arabic, give the files a go, see what happens. Let me know the results.

Wakas
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

Wakas

peace All,

I tested some OCR on the pdf file, and here are the results:

http://www.geocities.com/learnislamquran/omniOCRpdfwithimageontext.pdf

Specifically, check the word-search function with Adobe Acrobat. Not that I think this is how most people will use it, but its a nice icing on the cake, if its done.

The OCR software used was Omnipage Pro 14.

Wakas

Idris

peace be upon you wakas,

good job on this, i dont have a credit card so can u take cash on this for a donation?
Workers and their families may starve to death in the New World Order of economic rationality, but diamond necklaces are cheaper in elegant New York shops, thanks to the miracle of the market.
-Noam Chomsky

Wakas

peace be upon you Idris,

Quotecan u take cash on this for a donation?

No. But you can easily donate your time once the pages are uploaded, because the relevant root page(s) from Lane will be linked to PRL for easy look-up, so you could help with that, which is just as valuable as money in my opinion.
In fact, anyone who can recognise an Arabic letter could help with this.

Let me know.

Wakas

Idris

peace wakas,

im down, just let me know when to get started, yahoo and aim=ELEPlaya4Life
Workers and their families may starve to death in the New World Order of economic rationality, but diamond necklaces are cheaper in elegant New York shops, thanks to the miracle of the market.
-Noam Chomsky

Asim Iqbal

Assalam-u-alaikum !
Peace/Safety be with you !

I highly appreciate both the projects.

I didn't find the information about Project free Lane's Lexicon on your web site . I suggest that you make a page on your web site in which you describe this project in detail. i.e. the plan, the effort required, how can a person help you out, i.e. what are the possible ways in which different people can help you out etc...,faq's about this project. Motivation for this project .
Similarly do the same for project root list.

Pre-requisites for each particular task like having the lexicon, or knowing Arabic Alphabet, donating atleast 1 hour daily, analysis, testing etc...can also be listed so that each person can help the way he/she can help with the resources that he/she has available.

1. Spreading the information about the projects:

For spreading information about the projects a permanent address is required, i.e. something like www.studyQuran.co.uk/projects etc... as I think the addresses in forums are not permanent . Once a page is made on www.studyQuran.co.uk and it is attractive enough and gives all the necessary details, the spreading of this link to as many as possible Muslims can start.

2. Attracting manpower and then using it effectively and efficiently:
Again the same page/pages on www.studyQuran.co.uk should give
1. The complete information about the project
2. The Financial requirements (the shortcomings in funds so far)
3. Why is the project so important
4. How can you help:
In which you clearly explain all the possibilities in which a person can help you out . He/she could find some option by which he/she can help you out
For example
How can the ones help  :
1. Those who have Lexicons and other Arabic resources
2. Those who don't have the lexicon but know Arabic Alphabet
3. Those who can donate atleast 1 hour daily or atleast 7 hours per week or more.
4. Those who check quality
5. Those who do testing
6. Those who can attract other people by spreading the information
7. Those who research options for improving quality.

Also consider and discuss the possibility of:
A cheaper printed version of Lane's Lexicon in addition to free availability of download and browsing on the internet and cost price CD's .

1. Online downloadable version (Project free Lane's Lexicon)
   2. Online accessible version(Project free Lane's Lexicon)
   3. DVD's / CD's(Project free Lane's Lexicon)
   4. Printed version(Project free Lane's Lexicon)
   5. Downloadable version of Project Root List.
   6. Online study version of project Root List
   7. CD/DVD version of project Root List
   8. Printed version of project Root List

:idea:  :!:
ALLAH is Absolutely Perfect. All kinds of Glory, Praises and Thanks are for ALLAH Almighty alone, The Lord, The Creator and The Cherisher of all the creation.

Wakas

peace be upon you Asim,

Thanks for the suggestions.

QuoteI didn't find the information about Project free Lane's Lexicon on your web site .

I posted it on several forums. I did see a post from a member called Asim on study-islam, who provided a link and showed support for the project, perhaps that was you.

QuoteA cheaper printed version of Lane's Lexicon in addition to free availability of download and browsing on the internet and cost price CD's .

This is a future possibility, as I have access to professional printing facilities at near-cost price. If I, or anyone who obtained the files once released, decided to do this, it may be cheaper doing this abroad, i.e. in your country of Pakistan.

I like your idea of creating a dedicated page for projects and I will do this in the future. I will write something for PLL (project lane's lexicon) in the meantime.

Wakas

Asim Iqbal

Assalam-u-alaikum !

Peace/Safety be with you (all) !

Wakas,

I am posting in this forum only as I think you prefer this forum more.
:!:

:arrow: After reading the posts in this forum and MWU forum, I think the quality  is the main concern as far as the final deliverable of the project is concerned. Those who have the printed version of Lane's Lexicon can check the image quality ,e.g., the contrast, scan quality, the focus being on resembling the printed version as much as possible as the project is a high demand and high usability project and so the quality should be excellent. Alternatives should be considered and the scanned pages from different professional companies, or other alternatives should be uploaded for open comparison by all and then final scanning source can be decided considering the scan quality of that source. Moreover research for better alternatives can be done. What is that page size issue? Due importance should be given to that also i.e. if the page size of the original printed version is larger than A4 then the scanned pages should also be larger than A4. If we adjust the page size the quality in my opinion will deteriorate, what do you think ?

:arrow: After Quality another aspect is content i.e. tha scanner should not mis-scan any words, i.e. , miss out any part of a word or scan spots which is not acceptable, for that proofreading is required.

:arrow: Word search option, a good bonus option, should not be at the cost of loss of quality of image and content authenticity. If it can be added without compromising on image quality ( maximum resemblance to printed version ) and content authenticity ( the exact contents of the printed Lexicon ) .

:arrow: What does that $150 dollar Cd offer, what are the unique search, organization functions of that CD. Your free product should be better than that CD.

:arrow: To summarize :

The focus points for the free Lexicon include and you can add more
options

1. Scan quality (Resembling as much as possible the printed version, contrast, readability, eye-friendliness , the text shouldn't be dull, Text shouldn't be blur , it should be sharp )(Alternative analysis by comparing the scans of different options and researching for better options)

2. Content Authenticity (No mis-scan and all the content should be authentic exactly matching the printed version content (Proofreaders))

3. Word search option (though I don't understand how is it supposed to operate)

4. Better than the 150$ Cd in all aspects .

If you need any help contact me either via e-mail or through the forum. Whatever you like more
ALLAH is Absolutely Perfect. All kinds of Glory, Praises and Thanks are for ALLAH Almighty alone, The Lord, The Creator and The Cherisher of all the creation.

Asim Iqbal

Brother Wakas, you said a few minutes ago

QuoteI like your idea of creating a dedicated page for projects and I will do this in the future. I will write something for PLL (project lane's lexicon) in the meantime.

:idea: Yes feel free to consult me on any issue so that I can give you ideas about making that dedicated page more interesting and attractive. Feel free to ask anything.  

:idea: In my opinion this page should be done within this week as I want to try to spread information about these projects and the best way is to refer to a direct link like www.studyQuran.co.uk/projects etc... and that page should be capable enough of doing the rest i.e. attracting manpower and retaining manpower as I explained before and can give more explanation.