News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Relationship between "manahma" and "Ahmad"?

Started by Cushan, May 16, 2011, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cushan

Someone online sent me a link to a clip from the movie Passion of the Christ where the actor playing Jesus uses Elah for God and a word that sounds similar to "Achmad". There's obvious problems with this as Islamic apologetic because Ahmad means praised and the root of manahma is nachma (with an 'n') and means comforter. But I was impressed by the fact that the person who translated the Greek dialogue into Aramaic used manahma instead of paraclete. In the Targum of Onkelos, Onkelos translates all Hebrew instances of menachum and related words into the Greek loan-word paracleta.

There are a lot of seemingly altered names in the Quran. Isa is not etymologically related to Jesus. Not even Ismail is spelled the same as it is in the Bible. Injil is a letter for letter rendering of the Greek word for message, but Muslims give it various Arabic etymologies. Is it possible that the same thing happened between Menachem and Ahmad? Unlike the Christians Menachem and its root had Messianic connotations for the Jews. The Jews even invented a fictional Messiah named Menachem Ben Amiel (comforter, son of the nation of God).

Anyway, here's the link to the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONzVBoCHTM
And the Messenger cried out: O my Lord! surely my people have treated this Quran as a forsaken thing.  ~ 25:30

mirjamnur

mirjamnur

Salam

SONG OF SONGS - MACHMAD

[Also known as Song of Songs of Solomon or Song of Solomon]

Many Muslims, particularly over the past few decades have made reference to the Hebrew Bible and in particular, Song of Songs verse 5:16, to support the notion that 'Muhammad' is mentioned in the Torah.
Song of Songs 5:16
"His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. (Hebrew Machmad) This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem"   [3]
Machmad-im (Plural)

Quite apart from the contentions against this hypothesis and what the Hebrew "Machmad" actually refers to given the context and the somewhat romantic content, it is to be noted that on the strength of verse 61:6, Prophet Jesus (pbuh) was not referring to the Old Testament with regards the mention of a Prophet named 'Ahmad'.

Song of Songs is not considered part of the Torah proper, which from a Quranic perspective, is a reference to those books that were revealed to Prophet Moses. (pbuh) The Song of Songs is part of the wider Jewish Tanakh and in particular, the Ketuvim (Writings) and not the 'Torah'.

Furthermore as already noted, the term used in Song of Solomons is 'Machmad' and not 'Ahmad'.

If 'Muhammad' (as some Muslims assert) was a reference to what Prophet Jesus (pbuh) referred to, then there is no reason why the name 'Muhammad' would have been not captured by verse 61:6 when the name 'Muhammad' is well known to the Quran.

It is academically unacceptable to transport a similar sounding text from one ancient scripture into another language and then to assert that they are the same term.

'Machmad' in Hebrew means a desirable or pleasant thing. We note its usage in verse 1 Kings 20:6.
1 Kings 20:6
"Yet I will send my servants unto thee to morrow about this time, and they shall search thine house, and the houses of thy servants; and it shall be, that whatsoever is pleasant (Hebrew: Machmad) in thine eyes, they shall put it in their hand, and take it away"   [4]
In this context, substituting Machmad with 'Muhammad' would make absolutely no sense.

It is also to be noted that the Hebrew letter used in 'MaCHmad' is 'CH' (Chet - Guttural Ch) and not 'H' (He). The text does not say 'MaHmad' as is sometimes incorrectly vocalised by those that propound this hypothesis. What often compounds the problem is the often incorrect transliteration of the Hebrew word which does not capture the 'Chet' in Hebrew.

source: http://quransmessage.com/articles/ahmad%20FM3.htm
Salam :peace:

youssef4342

Peace

well some names took a change in rendering into different languages, however,m that doesn't change the person....

Examples:

English: Moses
Hebrew: Moshe
Arabic: Mosa

English: Elijah
Hebrew: Eliyah
Arabic: Eliyas

Facebook Group
[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/[/url]

"Fear not those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear the one who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

mirjamnur

Taliyah Al-Mahdi

ח = ح

If folks would like to know more about this subject from a secular historian's perspective, check out my upcoming work: The Greatest Story NEVER Told: The Truth About the "Jesus" Myth and the Historical Figures Behind It...

Therein, i positively identify the "Menachem" mentioned by the Jesus character as Menachem Ben Yehudah Ha'Galili. The work is about 1500 pages, so hard to summarize the whole argument with citation here.

Feel free to PM or email for more info.
TALIYAH AL-MAHDI
The Vanguard of the Mahdi | A Revolution of CONSCIOUSNESS

www.TALIYAH.org