News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Does the Quran authorize man made laws ?

Started by Ahmd, February 13, 2013, 04:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahmd

Does the Quran authorize man made laws for issues not specifically mentioned in the Quran... Providing it is within the limits that God has set in the Quran.

Aamer

[16:116] You shall not invent lies about God by attributing lies with your tongues, saying: "This is lawful and that is forbidden." Those who invent lies about God will not succeed.

[6:115] The word of your Lord has been completed with truth and justice; there is no changing His words. He is the Hearer, the Knower.

God makes it clear that his word is complete and there is no changing or adding to his laws. So what about the things not mentioned in Quran. For example, Quran doesn't mention what sexual positions to use, Quran doesn't mention masturbation, growing a beard, driving over the speed limit, etc. What about those things? Well if it ain't in Quran... It ain't important to your salvation. Peace!
If it ain't in the Quran... It ain't relevant to our salvation.

neb87

Quote from: Aamer on February 14, 2013, 02:48:53 AM
[16:116] You shall not invent lies about God by attributing lies with your tongues, saying: "This is lawful and that is forbidden." Those who invent lies about God will not succeed.

[6:115] The word of your Lord has been completed with truth and justice; there is no changing His words. He is the Hearer, the Knower.

God makes it clear that his word is complete and there is no changing or adding to his laws. So what about the things not mentioned in Quran. For example, Quran doesn't mention what sexual positions to use, Quran doesn't mention masturbation, growing a beard, driving over the speed limit, etc. What about those things? Well if it ain't in Quran... It ain't important to your salvation. Peace!

I have to disagree with you using your last point as a basis. Driving over the speed limit is a reckless disregard for the safety of yourself and others. This is clearly against Quranic values, and yet is not stated explicitly within the Quran as such. I think if you're driving over the speed limit and commit vehicular manslaughter, it is pertininent to your personal salavation in that you disobeyed a common sense law for no good reason and ended an innocent life as result. Masturbation and growing a beard don't have the potential to negatively effect others. For this reason, I think as long as the "man-made" law agrees with Quranic values it is important to your salvation and should not be considered a change or addition, just a logical application in keeping with the theme of "for all people, for all times".

Aamer

Quote from: neb87 on February 14, 2013, 05:27:50 AM
I have to disagree with you using your last point as a basis. Driving over the speed limit is a reckless disregard for the safety of yourself and others. This is clearly against Quranic values, and yet is not stated explicitly within the Quran as such. I think if you're driving over the speed limit and commit vehicular manslaughter, it is pertininent to your personal salavation in that you disobeyed a common sense law for no good reason and ended an innocent life as result. Masturbation and growing a beard don't have the potential to negatively effect others. For this reason, I think as long as the "man-made" law agrees with Quranic values it is important to your salvation and should not be considered a change or addition, just a logical application in keeping with the theme of "for all people, for all times".

Cone to think of it, you're probably right. Can you think of any verses that would verify "Common sense" laws though?
If it ain't in the Quran... It ain't relevant to our salvation.

huruf

I think the Qur'an is more about principles than about laws. If laws made by humans keep to quranic principles they should be al right, but what is wrong, absolutely always wrong is to put to the laws made by human de label of divine and say that it is ordered or prohibited by God. Human laws can be done and undone as we see fit. Not God laws. So what should not be admissible is to attribute to God what is not God's, which si why hadith is perfectly our of bounds when it is attempted to derive necessary laws from them.

Salaam

neb87

Quote from: Aamer on February 14, 2013, 06:24:15 AM
Cone to think of it, you're probably right. Can you think of any verses that would verify "Common sense" laws though?

Huruf's post is pretty much how I see it, too. The principle that human life is sacred is firmly established in the Quran. We're free to make any human laws that are based on honoring that principle, to protect human life from reckless disregard, as the need arises. For example, where I live the speed limit in a school zone is 15 mph, but the speed limit on the freeway is no less than 40. Two completely opposite laws, but both are based on the principle of protecting life and are therefore both fine and dandy. The Quran didn't need to warn us of all possible scenarios where we'd need different laws because the foundations of principle are strong enough to ensure safety and freedom from arbitrariness.

Jafar

All of this is due to heavy influence from "Judaism", where they see everything written in the Torah as "God's Law".

There are lot of things which is not covered in the Quran (or Torah) some of them are:
- Law on Jungle/Forest preservation.. (as perhaps most Arabs & Jews never seen any jungle in their entire life)
- Law / regulation on River / Waterway preservation (What the heck is river??? We only have Wadi!)
- Law on the preservation of Polar bear natural habitat (Polar bear?? What the heck is that!)
etc.. etc..

Salam / Peace

Fallen Angel 21098

Salam brother Jafar, what exactly do you mean by mentioning the lack of explanations on such topics?

Jafar

Quote from: Fallen Angel 21098 on February 15, 2013, 07:27:29 AM
Salam brother Jafar, what exactly do you mean by mentioning the lack of explanations on such topics?

Quran was not meant to be a 'be all end all' human law to be issued and enforced by all human.

Salam / Peace

Fallen Angel 21098

Quote from: Jafar on February 15, 2013, 03:59:19 PM
Quran was not meant to be a 'be all end all' human law to be issued and enforced by all human.

Salam / Peace

Oh, but then what is Quran?

Salamun Alayk