News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Pakistan?

Started by Leena, March 11, 2006, 12:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobster

i hardly ever use "tu" either. Unless i'm talking in Spanish.
Or when I was talking to God in urdu. You use "tu" when with someone you are really close with. when disrepect isn't an issue.
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

savage_carrot

For me tu never really seemed like something I should use. It's more like street talk to me. Tum on the other hand seems the closest and the nicest way of being informal to someone who is close to me. I would choose Aap when talking to people I don't know that well. It's really interesting how we perceive things though  :)
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Lobster

i don't think many educated people in Pakistan use tu. Because urdu is kind of the "elite" language, along with english. only the lower class kids, or the punjabi kids i knew used 'tu.'
I was friends with these three brothers, and they always addressed eachother with Aap.  annoying.
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

ik75243

peace

QuoteYou use "tu" when with someone you are really close with

that is true

QuoteFor me tu never really seemed like something I should use. It's more like street talk to me

same here

QuoteI would choose Aap when talking to people I don't know that well

same here

QuoteIt's really interesting how we perceive things though

We are 'designed' that way.

ice_blue

i study at a busniness school here. amongst friends 'tu' is okay. however, when talking to some stranger or an elder 'tu' is impolite.

regards

rraza

hmmmm...i actually have lived in lahore my whole life...and NEVER used tu...it is disrespectful nomatter whom your talking to  :)
hell...is simply an absence of God

Hassan Bin Izhar

Salam all lovely Pakistanese
Any muslims from Islamabad? would really like to have a get together and discuss Quran , and could build a permanent club