News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Is eating liver halal

Started by Amra94, January 23, 2022, 11:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra94

Since consuming blood is forbidden, would you say eating liver is also forbidden because the liver cleans blood?

The Middle Path

Peace Amra94,

In my studies of the Quran, I have never found any verse which suggests that eating liver is forbidden. Therefore I think eating organs of animals (i.e. liver) is lawful. Some people I know think organ meats of animals are tasty. Also, some research suggests that organ meats of animals (e.g. liver) is healthy and nutritious. As far as I am concerned, the liver of cow is tasty. I have also eaten bone broth, and I like it. Some research suggests that bone broth from animals has an incredible range of health benefits, but I digress. Based on my knownledge, the foods we are forbidden to eat are mentioned in detail in the quran.

All food was lawful unto the children of Israel, save what Israel had made unlawful unto itself [by its sinning] before the Torah was bestowed from on high. Say: "Come forward, then, with the Torah and recite it, if what you say is true!" (3:93)

Forbidden to you is carrion, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that over which any name other than God's has been invoked, and the animal that has been strangled, or beaten to death, or killed by a fall, or gored to death, or savaged by a beast of prey, save that which you [yourselves] may have slaughtered while it was still alive; and [forbidden to you is] all that has been slaughtered on idolatrous altars... (5:3)

Today, the good things have been made lawful to you, the food of those who have been given the book is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them... (5:5)

Say [O Prophet]: "In all that has been revealed unto me, I do not find anything forbidden to eat, if one wants to eat thereof, unless it be carrion, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine-for that, behold, is loathsome-or a sinful offering over which any name other than God's has been invoked. But if one is driven by necessity - neither coveting it nor exceeding his immediate need -then [know that], behold, thy Sustainer is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace." (6:145)

Say: "Have you ever considered all the means of sustenance which God has bestowed upon you from on high -and which you thereupon divide into 'things forbidden' and 'things lawful? Say: "Has God given you leave [to do this] -or do you, perchance, attribute your own guesswork to God?" (10:59)
Hai Zamane Ka Taqaza Anjuman
Aur Be-Khalwat Nahin Souz-e-Sukhan

Amra94

Quote from: The Middle Path on January 25, 2022, 02:23:10 PM
Peace Amra94,

In my studies of the Quran, I have never found any verse which suggests that eating liver is forbidden. Therefore I think eating organs of animals (i.e. liver) is lawful. Some people I know think organ meats of animals are tasty. Also, some research suggests that organ meats of animals (e.g. liver) is healthy and nutritious. As far as I am concerned, the liver of cow is tasty. I have also eaten bone broth, and I like it. Some research suggests that bone broth from animals has an incredible range of health benefits, but I digress. Based on my knownledge, the foods we are forbidden to eat are mentioned in detail in the quran.

All food was lawful unto the children of Israel, save what Israel had made unlawful unto itself [by its sinning] before the Torah was bestowed from on high. Say: "Come forward, then, with the Torah and recite it, if what you say is true!" (3:93)

Forbidden to you is carrion, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that over which any name other than God's has been invoked, and the animal that has been strangled, or beaten to death, or killed by a fall, or gored to death, or savaged by a beast of prey, save that which you [yourselves] may have slaughtered while it was still alive; and [forbidden to you is] all that has been slaughtered on idolatrous altars... (5:3)

Today, the good things have been made lawful to you, the food of those who have been given the book is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them... (5:5)

Say [O Prophet]: "In all that has been revealed unto me, I do not find anything forbidden to eat, if one wants to eat thereof, unless it be carrion, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine-for that, behold, is loathsome-or a sinful offering over which any name other than God's has been invoked. But if one is driven by necessity - neither coveting it nor exceeding his immediate need -then [know that], behold, thy Sustainer is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace." (6:145)

Say: "Have you ever considered all the means of sustenance which God has bestowed upon you from on high -and which you thereupon divide into 'things forbidden' and 'things lawful? Say: "Has God given you leave [to do this] -or do you, perchance, attribute your own guesswork to God?" (10:59)
Yeah both liver and bone broth are nutritious. I only eat them for health benefits they're not my favorite things.
Someone was saying you shouldn't eat liver because the liver cleans blood and that is approaching the limits set by God but I think blood being forbidden means straight up drinking an animals blood like many pagan tribes do.

Noon waalqalami

Quote from: Amra94 on January 23, 2022, 11:08:50 PM
Since consuming blood is forbidden, would you say eating liver is also forbidden because the liver cleans blood?

peace,
it's permeated in all meat; forbidden is flowing blood (any) and swine blood (permeated)

6:145 الا except ان that ىكون being مىته lifeless (carrion)
او or دما blood of مسفوحا poured forth of (any animal)
او or لحم flesh خنزىر swine

16:115 انما solely حرم prohibit علىكم upon you المىته the lifeless
والدم and the blood ولحم and flesh الخنزىر the swine (read together)