News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Fellow females, do any of you still wear the hijab

Started by Sarah, June 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra94

Quote from: Sania Haque on December 11, 2020, 07:02:15 AM
No it's uncomfortable. Even women in islamic countries also say it's uncomfortable. Do you realize how hard it is to wear hijab in a hot weather. I have developed acne around my neck and shoulder area because of it. Even when you are with people who accept you, you feel odd and left out. It is an outdated clothing, so some women find it restrictive
I live in a desert city and covering my skin/head is something I always do to protect me from the sun.

16:81 (He has) made for you from the mountains, shelters and has made for you garments which protect you from the heat and garments which protect you from your [enemy in] battle. Thus does He complete His favor upon you that you might submit [to Him].

Sania Haque

Quote from: Amra94 on December 11, 2020, 10:12:14 AM
I live in a desert city and covering my skin/head is something I always do to protect me from the sun.

16:81 (He has) made for you from the mountains, shelters and has made for you garments which protect you from the heat and garments which protect you from your [enemy in] battle. Thus does He complete His favor upon you that you might submit [to Him].

Your choice. I was talking about the struggles most women feel while wearing hijab. Judging by your comment, you might live in middle east so it's a common attire there. For muslimahs living in a non Islamic environmental it is a struggle and it's not because of rude Christians. There are many other factors in it

Amra94

Quote from: Sania Haque on December 12, 2020, 02:26:45 PM
Your choice. I was talking about the struggles most women feel while wearing hijab. Judging by your comment, you might live in middle east so it's a common attire there. For muslimahs living in a non Islamic environmental it is a struggle and it's not because of rude Christians. There are many other factors in it
Phoenix is a desert. There are different ways to cover your hair that isnt the traditional hijab style. I dont even look Muslim and I'm comfortable.

Sania Haque

Quote from: Amra94 on December 12, 2020, 03:46:09 PM
Phoenix is a desert. There are different ways to cover your hair that isnt the traditional hijab style. I dont even look Muslim and I'm comfortable.

As I said your choice. Although i dont know why would you want to cover your hair when it itself acts as a cover for the head protecting it from the sun. I can understand why some people would like to cover their face because of the sun but covering of head still doesn't make sense to me when the hair is already acting as a protection of the head from the sun. But as I said your choice

Amra94

Quote from: Sania Haque on December 13, 2020, 06:13:13 AM
As I said your choice. Although i dont know why would you want to cover your hair when it itself acts as a cover for the head protecting it from the sun. I can understand why some people would like to cover their face because of the sun but covering of head still doesn't make sense to me when the hair is already acting as a protection of the head from the sun. But as I said your choice
That's not enough protection especially if you're white and even your scalp burns. And of course main reason i cover is to be more modest.

Veerle

Salaam

I still wear the hijab. I love and hate it in almost equal measure.
Sometimes I wear it because I want to, sometimes for my husband, sometimes I put it off, sometimes I replace the classic hijab with a turban. I find signs in the noble quran to indicate that we should wear it and I find signs that we don't. I am conflicted towards the subject.

All throughout history women of various religions, cultures and climates have often covered their heads and hair in one way or another. Royals, women and men, wear crowns. Men in various religions and cultures have or are still covering their head at times. Something about covering the head seems to demand (self)respect.  I definitely behave and carry myself different when I wear hijab.

I can imagine that it is God's will that we wear hijab just as easily as I can imagine god laughing at us for worrying about something stupid as this.

What I am sure off and am not conflicted about is that no good can come from forcing a woman to dress a certain way because 10 lines in a 1000 page book might me saying that she might be obligated to cover her hair.

The eyes that read the Quran need to decide if they believe or not, if they follow or not and if they understand the same as other eyes or not.

SarahY

I devoutly wore a headscarf for many, many, years, I no longer adhere to it as a strict dress code.

Everyone will have their own convictions as to why (for or against).

Some people find discomfort, some people find comfort. In my experience it was my norm, people are adaptable. What may seem uncomfortable and unusual will soon be normal/tolerable.

Everyone has their own perceptions/view of "you" and we can't control that. Wearing a headscarf has the benefit of being identified as Muslim but I guess it may be a detriment in some cases. I feel without a headscarf you blend in more however maybe in a dominant headscarf wearing company/society that may not be the case.

Everyone's experiences will be different depending on where they live and their company.

We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?