News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Fellow females, do any of you still wear the hijab

Started by Sarah, June 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Peace,

If you do, why? If not and you used to wear it, how did you find transitioning into a non-hijab wearer? Was it hard? Did you feel exposed the first weeks? do you ever miss wearing it? Do people treat you differently now that you don't wear it?
'These are the verses of Allah which We recite to you in truth. Then in what statement (hadith) after Allah and His verses will they believe? (45:6)'

Amra94

Quote from: Sarah on June 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM
Peace,

If you do, why? If not and you used to wear it, how did you find transitioning into a non-hijab wearer? Was it hard? Did you feel exposed the first weeks? do you ever miss wearing it? Do people treat you differently now that you don't wear it?
Peace, I only wore hijab out in public a few times just to see what it's like. I noticed people stared more and white women were friendlier towards me.

I do feel bad for all the women that are forced to keep it on because they'll be harassed by hateful traditional Muslims..

Jane

I wore it as an experiment when I was 19 for about 4 months. I never believed in it (I was a Submitter/Rashad Khalifa follower at the time) but I was desperate to convince Sunnis to become Submitters so to infiltrate their groups I figured I better resemble them so they trust me and then will listen to me telling them all about the 19 code. Didn't work. They just got annoyed and I can't believe I wasted my time. I stopped wearing it when I realised there was nothing to be gained by befriending Sunnis any more.

I did attract some odd looks since where I lived at the time it was like 99.9% white in my town and there were no Muslims living there at all that I knew of. The local people didn't know what to make of me and some guessed that I was becoming Hindu or even Buddhist!
:confused:

Nobody thought it was weird when I stopped wearing it since I just went back to normal (I'm a white British convert). I think my family were relieved that my Muslim Phase as they saw it was over. Except that it wasn't haha.

I didn't feel exposed when I stopped nor did I miss it. I was glad to give it up because by then it was summer and I was too hot all the time. I was disturbed also by how much my hearing was weaker when my ears were covered with fabric and how brittle my hair got, probably from my scalp not being able to breathe properly and/or from my hair being wrapped tight constantly. It was miserable and I feel so sorry for the women who are forced to wear it their whole lives.
PEACE

SleepySoul

I wore the headscarf a few times at one point.  I also wanted to start wearing the abaya but it didn't happen. No one made me wear it so taking it off wasn't that difficult either.

Now I don't feel it's necessary or even compulsory. But I do still believe in modest/decent dressing (for both men and women) and that it's an Islamic concept.

Also, it's fine if other women want to wear the headscarf/abaya as long as they don't judge others harshly, bother them about it or treat them badly.
I also don't really believe it's going to protect someone from sexual assault.

I do understand that more outward appearing Muslim women are more likely to be victims of islamophobia which is very wrong.

Amra94

After pondering over the verses about womens dress code, I think I'm gonna start wearing full hijab. One verse that sticks out to me is

24:60 And women of post-menstrual age who have no desire for marriage - there is no blame upon them for putting aside their (outer) garments [but] not displaying adornment. But to modestly refrain [from that] is better for them. And God is Hearing and Knowing.

So older women are allowed to relax their dress code which imo means dressing somewhat modestly without a headcover or super loose or long clothing as long as it's not revealing since they're still supposed to refrain from displaying adornment. The dress code for younger believing women is supposed to be way more modest which is why to me wearing hijab and long loose fitting clothing makes sense.

Wakas

https://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/misconception.php?id=34

The following verse shows being clothed is the norm but makes it clear that flexibility is allowed in certain situations, as long as we are mindful of modesty. The context is etiquette within the household:

And the women who are past child bearing and who do not seek to get married have no sin upon them if they discard their garments*, provided they do not show off with their beauty. If they abstain, then it is better for them. God is Hearer, Knower. [24:60]
*Arabic word is "thiyab" and refers to ordinary clothes/gowns.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

jkhan

Quote from: Amra94 on June 27, 2020, 01:09:01 PM
After pondering over the verses about womens dress code, I think I'm gonna start wearing full hijab. One verse that sticks out to me is

24:60 And women of post-menstrual age who have no desire for marriage - there is no blame upon them for putting aside their (outer) garments [but] not displaying adornment. But to modestly refrain [from that] is better for them. And God is Hearing and Knowing.

So older women are allowed to relax their dress code which imo means dressing somewhat modestly without a headcover or super loose or long clothing as long as it's not revealing since they're still supposed to refrain from displaying adornment. The dress code for younger believing women is supposed to be way more modest which is why to me wearing hijab and long loose fitting clothing makes sense.

I see wearing something on head is very much cultural and optional.. But wearing below neck is almost must for women apart from what is apparent.. ...

In Quranic point of view...
Apart from regular instructive verses like the link provided by Waqas..
I see not the two women at the well for whome Musa assisted were covering their entire body...

I don't see the women converged at the request of the wife of Aziz (chapter 12)were fully covering... Verses don't depicts so... But with their dialogue they seem Muslim... And believe in God..

And I don't see in verse 33:52 that women were fully covered so that no one can see their beauty.. Being a prophet it seems their beauty can attract him.. So.. In my understanding fully covered women with loose cloths never attracts anyone..coz you don't see a women in that dress..  It shows Mohamed has seen the women what is naturally apparent... Face is identity to like a person first.. So it shows in those societies (Yousuf, Musa,  Mohamed) women and that also Muslim  women not covering complete body.... Coupled with that even God never seems to be ordering to do so..
That's my take..
But wearing hijab for attraction and beauty while not calling a rule from God.. I don't see anything wrong.. coz God says garments are to cover private parts as well for beauty.. There is no beauty when women are sealed to bottom with black dress.. That's cultural torture..  Hard to breath one month with this face mask... Wonder how they live fully covered for life...  That's not God's nature..
Let us die with guidance

[url="https://discord.gg/3NSZH3hxy7"]https://discord.gg/3NSZH3hxy7[/url]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/@purposefullivingg"]https://www.youtube.com/@purposefullivingg[/url]

Amra94

Quote from: jkhan on June 27, 2020, 09:12:45 PM
I see wearing something on head is very much cultural and optional.. But wearing below neck is almost must for women apart from what is apparent.. ...

In Quranic point of view...
Apart from regular instructive verses like the link provided by Waqas..
I see not the two women at the well for whome Musa assisted were covering their entire body...

I don't see the women converged at the request of the wife of Aziz (chapter 12)were fully covering... Verses don't depicts so... But with their dialogue they seem Muslim... And believe in God..

And I don't see in verse 33:52 that women were fully covered so that no one can see their beauty.. Being a prophet it seems their beauty can attract him.. So.. In my understanding fully covered women with loose cloths never attracts anyone..coz you don't see a women in that dress..  It shows Mohamed has seen the women what is naturally apparent... Face is identity to like a person first.. So it shows in those societies (Yousuf, Musa,  Mohamed) women and that also Muslim  women not covering complete body.... Coupled with that even God never seems to be ordering to do so..
That's my take..
But wearing hijab for attraction and beauty while not calling a rule from God.. I don't see anything wrong.. coz God says garments are to cover private parts as well for beauty.. There is no beauty when women are sealed to bottom with black dress.. That's cultural torture..  Hard to breath one month with this face mask... Wonder how they live fully covered for life...  That's not God's nature..

What would be the point of describing these womens dress code.. It doesnt say they didnt cover their bodies either so you're just assuming they weren't covered. Why not look at how Christians depict Mary, that's prob how believing women dressed. I didnt mention face veil but a headscarf and long loose clothing like a dress doesnt hide your natural body size or face so men can still be interested in marrying you.

Amra94

Quote from: Wakas on June 27, 2020, 06:08:45 PM
https://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/misconception.php?id=34

The following verse shows being clothed is the norm but makes it clear that flexibility is allowed in certain situations, as long as we are mindful of modesty. The context is etiquette within the household:

And the women who are past child bearing and who do not seek to get married have no sin upon them if they discard their garments*, provided they do not show off with their beauty. If they abstain, then it is better for them. God is Hearer, Knower. [24:60]
*Arabic word is "thiyab" and refers to ordinary clothes/gowns.

Hmm why would it single older women out if the context is within the household only when it should apply for any woman and the other verse (24:31) essentially says what you're saying for women in general.

Wakas

Quote from: Wakas on May 29, 2009, 02:08:57 PM

My only question mark on dress code was 24:60, as I couldn't prove if it meant discard clothes in general (less likely), or in the house (more likely, due to context), or something else. But now having thought about it, if we take into consideration privacy in times of undress when others must seek permission to be among you at these times, and who revealing of "total beauty" applies to, then it implies (proves?) it is wthin the household. This would also imply that maintaining the minimum dress code with those mentioned in 24:31 is better for us or the norm, unless there is a reason, e.g. 24:60.

Also connects to previous verse with "wa".
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]