News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Polygamy in 4:23

Started by Aladin Azra, July 16, 2022, 04:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aladin Azra

There was a much discussion about polygamy here. I wanna rise a question about polygamy in 4:23. First, we can see that "Haraam women" are in plural, except the last group, which are in dual. We were said that we cannot join two sisters. If we are not allowed to join any two women  (or more) then there would be no need to tell about joining two sisters. Verb used is imperfect, subjunctive mood and its meaning is that two sisters will be married to the same man at the same time; it's not about to marry one woman then after divorce or death we're forbidden to marry her sister, but to marry them both.

If I understood good this is telling us that we can marry more women, but not two sisters together. I don't know any aayet which forbids males to marry more then one woman. Please quote if you know any.
Ordo ab LICENTIA.

jkhan

Quote from: Aladin Azra on July 16, 2022, 04:46:42 AM
There was a much discussion about polygamy here. I wanna rise a question about polygamy in 4:23. First, we can see that "Haraam women" are in plural, except the last group, which are in dual. We were said that we cannot join two sisters. If we are not allowed to join any two women  (or more) then there would be no need to tell about joining two sisters. Verb used is imperfect, subjunctive mood and its meaning is that two sisters will be married to the same man at the same time; it's not about to marry one woman then after divorce or death we're forbidden to marry her sister, but to marry them both.

If I understood good this is telling us that we can marry more women, but not two sisters together. I don't know any aayet which forbids males to marry more then one woman. Please quote if you know any.

Yes it is a much spoken topic and still under scrutiny... Well according to Quran tone I am of the opinion that Men can marry more than one woman at a time.. But not for women..  Women at a time only one man.. And only after divorce and waiting period... It may predominantly viable such practices in those days and I'm conditions that they were in.. Nevertheless, law is applicable to any believer even now...
But I have no clue how many a man can marry at a time as a limit...
We have seen prophets and many examples of old generations had multiple wives or they simply practiced polygamy...
I don't see any harm in it literally but women of modern days would prefer only one husband for her.. And most men also prefer and able to go have one wife at a time..
Only a rich person or someone who is enriched by nature all amenities would be able to marry more women... 
Anyhow.. One would wonder why would a man marry more than one wife if not for sexual pleasure... Sexual pleasure is equally enjoyed by both parties men and women... So if sexual pleasure is the only factor in polygamy then it is a mammoth injustice towards women... Coz rich women when she become bit older should be able to marry a young man..
My natural instincts suggest me that there is a huge benefit in that society by large for women since men are ready and allowed to marry more women at a time.. Not only in the system of God but in the culture also..
Every women will have an opportunity of indulging in a family life even those who are possesed by oaths...
In case lesser men than women in society could result in bizarre conundrum...

But God has allowed... No one can ever denybit within Quran verses.. After all Mohamed was also just a human being.. And it is very manifest that he had many wives and he was not transgressing any cultural aspects neither.. Time elapsed and things transformed... Now it is not the trend almoat everywhere in the world.. But still in some tribal areas they may be practicing willingly...
Thank you..
Let us die with guidance

[url="https://discord.gg/3NSZH3hxy7"]https://discord.gg/3NSZH3hxy7[/url]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/@purposefullivingg"]https://www.youtube.com/@purposefullivingg[/url]

Euphoric

It doesn't say not marry two sisters it says tajm3ow two sisters.

Polygamy is absolutely permitted.