News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Bakka is here

Started by tlihawa, February 24, 2012, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlihawa

Salam,
I've been search for a place called Bakkah for a long time, but could not find it anywhere. Until I realized that I'm asking wrong question about Bakkah. To understand what bakkah is, I need to clarify the related words come up in the same context such as bayt, hajj, and what the things Ibrahim and Ishmael have done in the past, according to Quran. Let's get into the verses:

=Bayt=
There's a lot of verses talking about bayt in Quran, both physically and metaphorically. but clearly, we can distinguish them by look at the context. Here is the example how to treat the word 'bayt' taught by Allah:

29:41 The parable of those who take protectors other than Allah is that of the spider, who builds (to itself) a house<baytan>; but truly the weakest of houses <buyuti>is the spider?s house <baytu>;- if they but knew.

29:42 And such are the Parables We set forth for mankind, but only those understand them who have knowledge.

This verse has described the Polytheism belief as weakest house metaphorically. So we knew that when a verse talk about a house or bayt, followed by a statement regarding either polytheism or monotheism, the house(s) or bayt here must be understood metaphorically.

For example :

16:26   Those before them had schemed, so God came to their buildings from the foundation, thus the roof fell on top of them; and the retribution came to them from where they did not know.
16:27   Then, on the Day of Resurrection He will humiliate them, and say: "Where are My partners regarding whom you used to dispute?" Those who have received the knowledge said: "The humiliation today and the misery are upon the rejecters."

In 16:26, it talks about a building which its roof has fell down. And this verse followed by a question regarding God's partner confirming polytheism practiced by some people. It means that the buildings here must be understood metaphorically, just like the spider's house mentioned in 24:91.

And another parable has explained by God in following verses:

24:35    Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The Parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche and within it a Lamp: the Lamp enclosed in Glass: the glass as it were a brilliant star: Lit from a blessed Tree, an Olive, neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil is well-nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it: Light upon Light! Allah doth guide whom He will to His Light: Allah doth set forth Parables for men: and Allah doth know all things.

24:36 In houses <buyuutin>, which Allah hath permitted to be raised; for the celebration, in them, of His name: In them is He glorified in the mornings and in the evenings,-

In 24:35, Allah has described Himself using parable. And do you recall a house which its foundation has been raised up by Ibrahim and Ishmael? It's one of the houses raised up as mentioned in 24:36.

Let's take closer to the verses:

2:127    And as Abraham raised from the Sanctuary its foundations, along with Ishmael: "Our Lord accept this from us, You are the Hearer, the Knowledgeable."
22:26   And We have appointed to Abraham the location of the House: "Do not set up anyone with Me, and purify My House for those who visit, and those who are standing, and the kneeling, and the prostating."

As you can see, the word house here has followed by the command not to set up any Idol, confirming Monotheism. So the house here must be understood metaphorically. This house is not laid in physical place but it's explain about the monotheism. And it's the opposite of polytheism, the spider's house.

Now, it's clear about the bayt. Let's move to another word, Hajj.

=Hajj=

Since the Bayt itself is not a physical place, the word hajj automatically has nothing to do with a physical journey. So what's the hajj then? Hajj is the calling to monotheism for the mankind.
In lane lexicon, triliteral root word Haa-Jiim-Jiim = to intend to a certain target. And the target is bayt, the monotheism.

The only acceptable word for different people with different background of beliefs is just monotheism. That's why we are commanded not to arguing during the hajj:

2:197 ...no arguing in the hajj;

It's because we are told to talk about the only acceptable words for whole mankind : God alone.

22:67   ...So do not let the matter fall into dispute. And call upon your Lord, for you are on a guidance which is straight.

Now it's clear that the purpose of Hajj is to call the people which likely has different creed, and different qiblah as well, to God alone.

Hajj also has rites called Safa and Marwa also known as signs of God. Phrase signs of God also mentioned in 22:36.

2:158   Indeed, Safa and Marwa are among the signs of God.
22:36   And the plump livestock, We have made them for you to be among the signs of God; you will have benefit in them. So mention the name of God upon them in lined up <Sawāffa> ; when they are down on their sides, you may eat from them and feed with them the poor and the needy. It was thus that We have made them in service to you, that you may be thankful.

Since there is no physical place get involved, Safa and Marwa must be translated literally:

Safa/Sawaffa
= Sad-Fa-Fa = side by side, laid out, a rank/row/line

Marwa
= Miim-Ra-Waw = the stone on which an animal is slaughtered.

So the signs of God is the plump livestock lined up and get slaughtered.

It's in line with the God's command to every people (ummah) to perform a rites (mansakan):

22:67   For every people (ummah) We have established rites which they are to fulfill. So do not let the matter fall into dispute. And call upon your Lord, for you are on a guidance which is straight.

And that rites is:

22:34   And for every people (ummah) We have established rites that they may mention the name of God over what He has provided for them of the animal livestock. Your god is One god; submit to Him and give good tidings to those who obey.

Once again, the rites is for every people (ummah), means everyone which likely coming from many different beliefs.

So now we have two places has been translated into words which match into the context. Now let's move to Bakkah, the place which had been lost for many years.

=Bakka=

Bakka, since it's related to the Bayt, which has been understood as non physical structure, so nothing can stop us to do the same thing with Bakkah.

3:96 inna awwala baytin wudhi'a lilnnaasi lalladhii bibakkata mubaarakan wahudan lil'aalamiina

I've put my translation, word by word as follows:

inna

indeed

awwala

Alif-Waw-Lam - its origin or source; his or its original state,

baytin
house (please understand it metaphorically as monotheism)

wudhi'a
Waw-Dad-Ayn = the proper place of a thing.

lilnnāsi
for the mankind

lalladhī

those who

bibakkata
= Ba-Kaf-Kaf (e.g. bakka) = distinguishing/ranking above others

mubārakan

blessed

wahudan
and a guidance

lil'ālamīna
for the worlds.

So the verse will be:

3:96 Indeed, something that originated from monotheism (baytin) is a proper place for people who in the difference with another (in beliefs), which is blessed, and guidance for whole worlds.

This translation makes sense to me because it's in line with the purpose of hajj. But since I'm not good enough in Arabic, especially in grammar, any comments and input, really appreciated.

Peace

tlihawa

Salam,
and here is another verse to support this conclusion. It's regarding the time of hajj and its manner:

2:189  They ask you regarding the crescent moons, say: "They are a timing mechanism for the mankind and the Hajj (intention)." And piety is not that you would enter the houses (of monotheism) and become distinct <ẓuhūrihā>, but piety is whoever is righteous and comes to the houses (monotheism) in its proper manners <abwābihā> . And be aware of God that you may succeed.

ẓuhūrihā
Za-ha-Ra = become distinct, distinguish

abwābihā
Ba-Waw-Ba = mode/manner.

for the first time, this verse has meaning to me.

peace

tlihawa

Salam,

And here is the verse talk about Umra and preparation of Hajj:

2:197 Hajj months are made known. So whoever decides to perform the Hajj therein, then there shall be no sexual approach, nor wickedness, nor arguing in the Hajj. And any good that you do, God is aware of it; and bring provisions for yourselves, though the best provision is righteousness; and be aware of Me O you who possess intelligence.

the explanation of 2:197 lies in this verse:

2:196 And complete the Hajj (intention) and to inhabit <umrata> for  God. If you are abstain from sexual intercourse <uh'sir'tum>, then it will be easier for the guidance <hadyi> ; and do not disturb your heads until you reach the guidance (to be focus). Whoever among you is ill or has an affliction to his head, then he may redeem by fasting or giving a charity or a rite. then when you are become quite in mind <amintum>, then whoever took advantage, but decides to inhabit  <umrah> until the Hajj, then it will be easier for the guidance <hadyi>; but for he who cannot find anything, then he must fast for three days during the Hajj and seven when he returns; this will make a complete ten; this is for those whose family is not resident at the Masjidil Haram. And be aware of God, and know that God is severe in retribution.

um'rata
= Ayn-Miim-Ra = to inhabit, dwell
uh'sir'tum
Ha-Sad-Ra = abstain from sexual intercourse

hadyi
guidance

amintum
Alif-Meem-Nun = become quiet/tranquil in heart/mind, become free of expectation of evil or free of an object of dislike/hatred, promise/assurance of security/safety, become trustful/faithful/confident, to believe/acknowledge it, manifestation of humility/submission.

We have asked to inhabit <umrata> before the Hajj. And clearly, after deciding to perform the Hajj, we are told to avoid the sexual intercourse, to make it easier for us to get the guidance, and to stay focus. The same phrase has been used to describe people who decided to inhabit until the hajj. To inhabit <umrata> until the Hajj will make it easier to get the guidance.

And I see the strong relationship between the hajj and the fasting month...

peace

tlihawa

Salam,
and here is what inside the Hajj and its purpose:

22:27  And announce to the people in Hajj, they will come to you on foot upon every gift that is not hope for the return <dāmirin> . They will come to you from far and widely separated area.
22:28 So that they may witness benefits for themselves, and mention the name of God in the appointed days over what He has provided for them of the animal livestock. So eat from it and feed the needy and the poor.

yatūka

Alif-Taa-Waw (e.g. of "atawoo") = to come

rijālan
Ra-Jiim-Lam = to go on foot, urge with foot, walk,

dāmirin
Dad-Miim-Ra = Property of which one hopes not for the return. A debt of which payment is not hoped for, or for the payment of which no period is fixed for. A gift that is not hoped for.

The only reason why this verse mentioning 'rijalan' or 'on foot' is that the Hajj will be held locally for every people. Where is as far as reached by walk for the one who will attend.

So the Masjidil Haram must be something not bound with a fixed time and place. Considering the Masjidil Haram also exist in Musa time, 17:1-2.

And the word dāmirin here means a selfless giving. There's so many motives behind the given gift. One of them to promote your belief. It's not allowed in Hajj. Promoting your beliefs will lead you to argue, which is forbidden in Hajj. You are only allowed to promote God Alone, the Monotheism, the Bayt.

Any comments? Input?

peace..

tlihawa

Salam,

I have re-translate some verses regarding abstaining (fasting), Umra and Hajj. I also put my own explanation for each verse, to help to understand my point of view.

2:183 O you who believe, fasting has been decreed for you as it was decreed for those before you, perhaps you may be righteous.

2:184 A few number of days; however, if any of you is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days; and as for those who can do so, they may redeem by feeding the needy. And whoever does good voluntarily, then it is better for him. And if you fast it is better for you if only you knew.

2:185 Scorching/heat month, in which the Qur'an was revealed; as a guide <hudan> to the people and clarities from the guidance <bayyinati> and the Criterion. Therefore, whoever of you witnesses the month, then let him fast therein. And whoever is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days. God wants to bring you ease and not to bring you hardship; and so that you may complete the count, and glorify God for what He has guided you, that you may be thankful.

ramadan
Ra-Miim-Dad = to be burning, heat, be blasted by the sun. ramaDda - to sharpen (a spear) between stones, roast, pasture on a burning ground, burn. ramDda - scorching heat, burning hot (ground). ramadzan - the ninth month of Islamic calendar, the month of fast.

Note:
Abstaining/Fasting is must be done in summer (depend on location) for believers unless who is ill or travelling, including travelling to outer space. Some people also asking this  ;D

2:186 And if My servants ask you about Me, I am near answering the calls of those who call to Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided.

2:187 It has been made lawful for you during the night of fasting to approach your women sexually. They are a garment for you and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray your souls so He has accepted your repentance, and forgiven you; now you may approach them and seek what God has written for you. And you may eat and drink until the white thread is distinct from the black thread of dawn; then you shall complete the fast until night; and do not approach them while you are devoted <ʿākifūna> in the temples. These are the boundaries of God, so do not transgress them. It is thus that God clarifies His revelations to the people who they may be righteous.

Notes :
What we are prohibited during abstaining has been revealed in opposites:
1. Sexual approach are allowed during the night, so we shouldn't do it on the day.
2. Eating and drinking until dawn, and then abstaining (to it) till the night.
3. No sexual approach while devoting. Reason behind this prohibition has explained in verse 2:196.

Also we are commanded to perform devoting <ʿākifūna>.

Devoting here means seeking what God has written for us. To link the explanation <bayyinatin> to the guidance <hudan> in Quran. The guidance <hudan> itself has explanations <bayyinatin> as shown in verse 2:185.

This verse below shows how devoting should performed:

73:20 Your Lord knows that you rise a little less than two thirds of the night, and half of it, and one third of it; and a group of those who are with you. And God measures the night and the day. He knows that you will not be able to keep-up, so He pardons you. So read what is made easy of the Qur an. He knows that there will be sick among you, and others that go forth in the land seeking from the bounty of God, and others who are fighting in the cause of God, so read what you can of it. And hold the salat and contribute towards purification and lend God a loan of righteousness. And whatever you put forth yourselves, you will find it with God, for it is better and a greater reward. And seek the forgiveness of God, for God is Forgiving, Merciful.

Note:
As we can see in this verse, the devoting has done during the night, which is to recite Quran as much as we can. During fasting night, when we perform devoting, no sexual approach even tough it's allowed during the night. And for the day, the activity is going as usual, unless the eating and drinking matter.

2:189  They ask you regarding the new moons <ahilati>, say: "They are a timing mechanism for the mankind and the Hajj (intention)." And piety is not that you would enter the houses (The Monotheism) and become distinct <ẓuhūrihā>, but piety is whoever is righteous and comes to the houses (The Monotheism) in its proper manners <abwābihā> . And be aware of God that you may succeed.

Note:
I have checked the meaning of ahilati in lane lexicon and it means new moon. So the timing of Hajj is when the new moon arise after fasting days, if you decide to continue to Hajj after fasting. The days gap between the fasting and Hajj called Umra (to stay or to inhabit in physical context).

I think the timeline should be like this:
- First full moon after summer solctice -- start fasting or abstaining.
- After fasting for ten days, the moon entered waning cresent phase.
- If we decided to stay and continue devoting until Hajj, we wait around 5 days for Hajj
- The moon entered waxing cresent phase, it's time for Hajj
- Even tough the time has been set, whoever hurries or delays it to two days, it will be ok. (see 2:203)

2:196 And complete the Hajj (intention) and to stay <umrata> for  God. If you are abstain from sexual intercourse <uh'sir'tum>, then it will be easier for the guidance <hadyi> ; and do not disturb your heads until you reach the guidance (to be focus). Whoever among you is ill or has an affliction to his head, then he may redeem by fasting or giving a charity or a rite. then when you are become quite in mind <amintum>, then whoever took advantage, but decides to stay <umrah> until the Hajj, then it will be easier for the guidance <hadyi>; but for he who cannot find anything, then he must fast for three days during the Hajj and seven when he returns; this will make a complete ten; this is for those whose family is not resident at the Masjidil Haram. And be aware of God, and know that God is severe in retribution.

2:197 Hajj months are known. So whoever decides to perform the Hajj therein, then there shall be no sexual approach, nor wickedness, nor arguing in the Hajj. And any good that you do, God is aware of it; and bring provisions for yourselves, though the best provision is righteousness; and be aware of Me O you who possess intelligence.

2:198 There is no sin upon you to seek goodness from your Lord. So when you had overflow <afadtum> (of guidance), then remember God at the symbol which is restricted <masharil haram>, and remember Him as He has guided you; for you were straying before that.

afadtum
Fa-Ya-Dad = to be copious, overflow, abound, flow freely, spread. afada - to pour, proceed, return, be immersed in any business or communication, go from a place to another in a crowd. (it is both transitive and intransitive)

masharil haram
sacred signs = Signs of God ie. Safa & Marwa

2:199 Then you shall continue <afidu> (to seek for the guidance) from where the people has continued <afada>, and seek the forgiveness of God; God is surely Forgiving, Merciful.

afidu/afada
Fa-Ya-Dad = to be copious, overflow, abound, flow freely, spread. afada - to pour, proceed, return, be immersed in any business or communication, go from a place to another in a crowd. (it is both transitive and intransitive)

2:200 When you have completed your rites, then remember God as you remember your fathers or even greater. From among the people is he who says: "Our Lord, give us from this world!" But in the Hereafter he has no part.

2:203 And remember God during a few number of days (fasting days). Whoever hurries to two days, there is no sin upon him; and whoever delays, there is no sin upon him if he is being righteous. And be aware of God, and know that it is to Him that you will be gathered.

Note:

Sometimes it's hard to determine the moon phase whether it has been arose or not even with the high technology. So I think that's why this verse has revealed.

That's all. Hope it useful for you.

Peace

Wakas

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

GODsubmitter

Thank you tlihawa

most interesting and useful  :sun:
God has no Religion!

God is running everything.

Peace begins with me.

wasi

THIS IS REALLY INTERESTING IDEA .... :! :!
WASI

wasi

Thank you wakas ..i just forget about 2:196
WASI

tlihawa

Thanks all for your comments.
@wakas I've checked my understanding of 2:196, and I see strong relationship with another ayat, especially the purpose of devoting. 2:196 has explain the reason why we shouldnkt have any sexual approach with woman during the devotiing. But I'm afraid I missed something. Please if you have any comment.