News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

99 NAMES OF GOD

Started by wrkmmn, March 12, 2016, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man of Faith

As far as I am concerned the sectarian interpretation of Quran does not even state that there is a name for God/Rabb.

God's "name" is Rabb. Ya Rabb :-)

Ya Rabb is the only used Ya expression for God.

Be well
Amenuel
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

wrkmmn

peace:

Arman: Yes I consider Rahman a synonym of Rahym, I do not have enough evidence to do it otherwise. Unless you tell me what change in the tense/meaning does the N at the end of roots exactly do , with evidence.  And, I actually made a mistake, the Spanish word is correct, but the English translation would be more "Compassionate" than " beneficent".

progressive 1993:
QuoteThis is sectarian hogwash. As far as I know there are 114 names of God in the Quran.
I do not belong to any sect, and though I verified that most of the atributes exist in the Quran, I did not get them from there my self. Therefore, if you can provide me with the rest of the attributes, so that I can translate them all, may God reward you. Please, include the verses where they appear, if you are truthful.

may God increase our knowledge and give us wisdom

agphys

does looking at your hand palms tell you anything? look, 81 on the left + 18 on right = 99

God knows best

Bender

Quote from: wrkmmn on April 02, 2016, 02:22:29 PM
peace:

Please, include the verses where they appear, if you are truthful.

Hi,

If the quran is the criterium to give a name then a lot of "names" in your list are not from the quran.
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi al-alameen

fye

Does the Quran ever day he has only 99 names?
Praise be to ALLAH
my friend and only friend

Arman

Quote from: wrkmmn on April 02, 2016, 02:22:29 PM
peace:

Arman: Yes I consider Rahman a synonym of Rahym, I do not have enough evidence to do it otherwise. Unless you tell me what change in the tense/meaning does the N at the end of roots exactly do , with evidence.  And, I actually made a mistake, the Spanish word is correct, but the English translation would be more "Compassionate" than " beneficent".

Salam brother.

My proposition with regards to the name Ar-Rahman is as follows. Please let me know exactly for which step you are looking for more evidence:

1. Ar-Rahman as spelled in Qur'an (without the alif in the middle) is not the same as the known Arabic word Ar-Rahmaan (رحمان) which I did agree that it means "Compassionate" - with the ending alif-nun implying an elative form of the word Raheem. But note - to make an elative form the word needs both the letters alif and noon, while Qur'an has skipped the alif.

2. Since I am convinced every word and letter in Qur'an is purposeful - the implication of this different spelling to me is that God has chosen to change the word slightly and hence the best meaning of this new unique Quranic word can only be derived from usage in Qur'an.

3. The usage of the word in Qur'an implies that the word refers to someone with Supreme Authority rather than highlighting His Mercy or Compassion. The article I referred earlier provides detailed review of the usage of the word in Qur'an:

http://www.free-minds.org/Old/articles/gods_system/rahman.htm

4. However, since the linkage of the word to the root R-H-M is obvious, I understand the word as "The One upon whose Mercy we all are absolutely dependent". Thus the link with Mercy is retained and yet the Supreme Authority is implied. Reading it like this on one hand makes the usage of the word meaningful in Qur'an verses (13:30, 19:18, 19:45 etc.) and on the other hand, makes the two frequently paired words Ar-Rahmanur Raheem complementary to each other - God is absolutely Merciful to us and we are absolutely dependent upon His Mercy - rather than being mere repetitions.

5. The word "Almighty" just happens to be the closest approximation of the meaning of "The One upon whose Mercy we all are absolutely dependent" - if I have to choose a single English word. If I find a better word, I am open to accepting it.

This is how I find the word to be the most meaningful in Qur'an. I just wanted to share this with you in case it is helpful to you, or other readers. But of course if you choose to stick to the traditional view that Ar-Rahman is same as Ar-rahmaan (with the center alif) which means same as Ar-Raheem - then of course you are free to understand however you choose. I do not mean to debate with you, my goal is only to highlight the perspective which is often overlooked.

May Allah increase us in knowledge.

Regards,
Arman
Indeed I have faced my face to the One who farmed the heavens and the earth in precision; and I do not happen to be among the ones associating partners (with Him).

wrkmmn

Peace arman.

I am only sharing too. the two ideas are here, people is free to decide whatever they wish to believe al-rahman to mean.

Peace bender:
If the quran is the criterium to give a name then a lot of "names" in your list are not from the quran.
I said," though I verified that most of the attributes exist in the Quran, I did not get them from there my self." So, it is not my list. But, please list those that are not in the Quran, so that I can correct my understanding, if you are truthful.

Bender

Quote from: wrkmmn on April 05, 2016, 03:03:38 PM

Peace bender: I said," though I verified that most of the attributes exist in the Quran, I did not get them from there my self." So, it is not my list.  But, please list those that are not in the Quran, so that I can correct my understanding,if you are truthful.

Hi,

RED: The reason why I will not do this is not because I am truthful or not truthful, but it will take to much time from me to do this job. And as you know time is money!

wrkmmn

Peace:

bender
QuoteAnd as you know time is money!
45:35This, because you take the Signs of Allah in jest, and the life of the world has deceived you...
time is time, and money is money.

I invest my time accumulating knowledge and truth, you invest your time accumulating money, let's let everybody strive for what he/she values the most. Just do not come again preaching to me your nonsense, wasting my time, because somebody with such mindset is void of any truth.

3:185...And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion.
61:11you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
4:74So let those fight in the cause of Allah who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. And he who fights in the cause of Allah and is killed or achieves victory - We will bestow upon him a great reward.

2:212Beautified for those who disbelieve is the life of this world...
66:9O you Prophet, strive with the steadfast disbelievers, and the hypocrites, and be harsh with them; and their abode will be Hell; and miserable is the Destiny!

Bender

Quote from: wrkmmn on April 09, 2016, 02:52:39 PM
Peace:

bender45:35This, because you take the Signs of Allah in jest, and the life of the world has deceived you...
time is time, and money is money.

I invest my time accumulating knowledge and truth, you invest your time accumulating money, let's let everybody strive for what he/she values the most. Just do not come again preaching to me your nonsense, wasting my time, because somebody with such mindset is void of any truth.
Peace,

I was telling you that your list of names contains a lot of names which are not from the quran, that is not preaching but telling you a fact.
Since you are one who invests his time in accumulating knowledge and truth, it is maybe an option to put this in your to do list for a rainy sunday afternoon.

3:185...And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion.
61:11you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
4:74So let those fight in the cause of Allah who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. And he who fights in the cause of Allah and is killed or achieves victory - We will bestow upon him a great reward.

2:212Beautified for those who disbelieve is the life of this world...
66:9O you Prophet, strive with the steadfast disbelievers, and the hypocrites, and be harsh with them; and their abode will be Hell; and miserable is the Destiny!

thanks for the verses!

:peace: