News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

How can we verify everything we encounter? A question on 17:36

Started by Lambda, July 14, 2013, 05:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambda

17:36 Do not uphold what you have no knowledge of. For the hearing, eyesight, and mind, all these are held responsible for that.
I was reminded of this verse when I read the claims of dietary prohibitions, such as "don't eat seafood along with fruits," "eat fruits before meals to enhance absorption of fruits" ... Often, evidence supporting these claims is not shown. Many people do believe in them, and eat carefully as advised. However, thinking of 17:36, I found these claims dubious, and following them blindly will be idolatry. Then how to verify those claims? Most people know not biochemistry or physiology, and can't understand the complex biochemical pathways underlying these claims. Most people will be reluctant to experiment these claims on themselves, since they don't want to get sick. Most people won't get round these claims by simply avoiding those foods, as those foods are common. So what to do?
There are other circumstances in which the verification is way too complex for non-professionals. However, Quran denounces blind following, so what to do?
There is no god except God

Wakas

Those who listen to what is being said, then follow the best of it.
These are the ones God has guided, and these are the ones who possess intelligence.

[Al Quran, 39:18]

?
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. [url="http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/"]My articles[/url]

[url="//www.studyquran.org"]www.studyQuran.org[/url]

Earthdom

QuoteThen how to verify those claims? Most people know not biochemistry or physiology, and can't understand the complex biochemical pathways underlying these claims.

The people who speak in their field is called a professional one.
The example is if we create a seminar and it's topic is about medical, it's funny and not professional if we invite an artist.

Yeah 17:36 , 39:18 or 30:29 can be used as ethic of professionalism.

Lambda

I mean that how can we not be gullible. There are people who advocate pseudoscience. We've got one in China in 2010; he claimed that eating raw eggplants can help remove fat in the blood, and that, well, I roughly remember, green beans can cure hypertension and many other disease. His book became a best seller, but later, real experts debunked his pseudoscience. He's got nothing but raw eggplants and green beans, and some of his theories can be easily rebutted with IGCSE Biology. However, so many people got fooled. Not that many people know real biology or medicine, so got fooled. It's not feasible to study biochemistry from the basic for everyone. What to do in that case?

zone

Quote from: Lambda on July 14, 2013, 10:06:40 AM
I mean that how can we not be gullible. There are people who advocate pseudoscience. We've got one in China in 2010; he claimed that eating raw eggplants can help remove fat in the blood, and that, well, I roughly remember, green beans can cure hypertension and many other disease. His book became a best seller, but later, real experts debunked his pseudoscience. He's got nothing but raw eggplants and green beans, and some of his theories can be easily rebutted with IGCSE Biology. However, so many people got fooled. Not that many people know real biology or medicine, so got fooled. It's not feasible to study biochemistry from the basic for everyone. What to do in that case?

Peace Lambda.

In real science, when someone put forward a new finding, normally in a symposium, and later finds its way in an established journal, the discovery has merit. But it is better to wait for another research to be conducted elsewhere to confirm or reject the finding. When several researches are done with the same finding, it has stronger merit. The industry practices are a bit problematic in a sense everyone can make up a claim. So it is advisable that you won?t become a guinea pig. Consider testimonials and real life experiences of many people as cases for verification.

39:18 is the key for guidance in this matter as put up by Wakas.

Zone.

mmkhan

Salaam Lambda,

What do you think of this thread? Is it helpful? InshaAllah.

May Allah bless you :pr
mmKhan
6:162    قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العلمين
6:162    Say: My contact prayer, and my rites, and my life, and my death, are all to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

3:51

Lambda

Yes, it helps. I came up with my own answers. Just like I view users' feedback when I'm shopping online, I may do the same for those dietary prohibitions. Though this way doesn't always works, as most people are gullible and will distort observations, at least some feedbacks are objective. Or ask a real expert, just like the court asks the expert witness. It might not always be right, but at least better than being fooled.
Thanks.

DrGm

peace,

God gave us eyes to see what is good for us;  ears to hear what is good for us; nose to smell what is good for us;  tongue and skin to taste and feel what is good for us;  mouth to eat and speak what is good for us;  and heart for discerning what is good and bad.  This is the scale for individual proof.  we should not go for collective proof.

each individual proof strengthens us in right path, collective proof if it resemble our individual proof only then we have to accept it. 

when we take food, we should observe our heart, whether i'm peaceful by the sight, feel and taste.  our life force will not accept anything that is bad for us.  example: if the food is bad; either we vomit, or feel discomfort.

peace