News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Lookism and the workplace

Started by Sarah, October 03, 2023, 12:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Peace

Is there anything in the Qur'an that talks about lookism?

I think this is a common problem; every female probably feels it to a certain extent in all areas of life i.e. professional and personal. What is the smartest way to handle this issue? Look your best, lose weight, wear makeup etc. so that you are not bullied or held back in both your personal and professional life? Even then, some people will still find certain people unattractive and mistreat them after they've put in full effort. But there must be a way around it because other females who do not fit into conventional beauty standards seem to overcome lookism and still manage to become successful professionally and personally. But it seems like it takes longer or is harder for less beautiful women to become successful. However, I do realise that looks aren't everything and factors such as intelligence, EQ, connections, work ethic etc. also come into play. But I definitely think there is a looks bias in the workplace.

You could say personality and confidence matter most (which is true) but we live in a shallow world where certain people will try to hold you back in your job or career and even personal life because they look down on your appearance regardless of how good, kind or nice your personality may be. So morally yes our goodness and character matter most. But practically, we are trying to live and survive in a world full of shallow people who are often in positions of power and authority. On the other hand, if you're seen as prettier or too pretty, jealous people might try to hold you back. But even though this is a disadvantage for attractive females, men are often the people who are in positions of authority and I personally sense that they tend to make it harder for women they don't find attractive. Perhaps it's just in my head but I doubt it because of a gut instinct. To further complicate things, perhaps certain men will also make it harder for women they are attracted to if they sense that they do not like them back. 

Keep in mind that this post isn't about pleasing men. Why would I want to please men I'm not interested in? It's about avoiding discrimination based on looks.

If you've had similar problems and know what I'm talking about, how are you handling it?

'These are the verses of Allah which We recite to you in truth. Then in what statement (hadith) after Allah and His verses will they believe? (45:6)'

SarahY

Peace.

Discrimination exists and people have many biases. You can't change how people think. Only you can work on YOU. Ultimately you should do your job and regardless of how you look if you do good it will be beneficial and people will see that (and sometimes they won't!).

We live in a world with so many issues, one isn't to compete with "shallowness" inevitably your actions are what matters. Be sensible. There will always be someone better, smarter, more attractive etc and there will always be the opposite.

We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Bashar

Peace back/ Salam,

let's not forget about "Hearism and the workplace" of which Telefonists could complain.