News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

What Happens When You Go To Sleep?

Started by Bosnian Thinker, December 27, 2008, 07:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosnian Thinker

First off, let me state that there must be something beyond the brain.  If you want me to explain why, then I will certainly do so.  Second off, I believe that what is beyond is the soul which leaves us when we go to sleep.  What happens when we go to sleep though?  Where do we "go"?

jibbo

peace

hmm. i don't think we go anywhere.
when we sleep we are in restmode, we are unconscious. the body repairs itself, the more you are physically active the more rest needed.
the same goes for the brain.

39:42 God takes the person when it dies, and during their sleep. He then keeps those that have been overtaken by death, and He sends the others back until a predetermined time. In that are signs for a people who will think.

nafs

Soul/spirit, the vital principle, intellect/reason/mind, inner desire or feeling, knowledge, pride, self-magnification, a state where there is ample scope for action, 'willingly' when used as adverb, nafs - soul of discrimination (mental) and ruh - soul of breath (physical), oneself/itself, whole, essential constituent, reality, sometimes ghayb and nafs are synonymous, a person/being/individual, quantity, man, life, soul + body, life-blood, body, contention/thought/face/substance, heart, stomach, gulp, drought.
63:10 Give from what We have provided to
you, before death comes to one of you,
then he says: "My Lord, if only You
could delay this for a short while, I
would then be charitable and join the
righteous!"

nerspi

peace

i read a few things about such topics...
said something like... we shift frequencies when we go to sleep (also when we die).
we're just in a different world.

ok the article talks more about death, but sleep is very similar.
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research20.html

Bosnian Thinker

Quote from: jibbo on December 28, 2008, 07:24:56 AM
peace

hmm. i don't think we go anywhere.
when we sleep we are in restmode, we are unconscious. the body repairs itself, the more you are physically active the more rest needed.
the same goes for the brain.

39:42 God takes the person when it dies, and during their sleep. He then keeps those that have been overtaken by death, and He sends the others back until a predetermined time. In that are signs for a people who will think.

nafs

Soul/spirit, the vital principle, intellect/reason/mind, inner desire or feeling, knowledge, pride, self-magnification, a state where there is ample scope for action, 'willingly' when used as adverb, nafs - soul of discrimination (mental) and ruh - soul of breath (physical), oneself/itself, whole, essential constituent, reality, sometimes ghayb and nafs are synonymous, a person/being/individual, quantity, man, life, soul + body, life-blood, body, contention/thought/face/substance, heart, stomach, gulp, drought.

Peace.

I disagree.  The brain enters a subconscious state, but I think the soul goes somewhere beyond this universe.  39:42 seems to point to that as well and I'm glad you showed me the verse.  When we die, God takes us somewhere and the same happens when we go to sleep, so wherever we go when we die, we go to the same place when we're asleep.  That's obviously not any "location" that we're aware of; in the Quran, God says that He has created seven universes.  What these refer to exactly is unknown.  Couldn't one of them be the place we go to when we go to sleep?  Peace.

jibbo

Quote from: Bosnian Thinker on December 28, 2008, 10:44:55 AM
Peace.

I disagree.  The brain enters a subconscious state, but I think the soul goes somewhere beyond this universe.  39:42 seems to point to that as well and I'm glad you showed me the verse.  When we die, God takes us somewhere and the same happens when we go to sleep, so wherever we go when we die, we go to the same place when we're asleep.  That's obviously not any "location" that we're aware of; in the Quran, God says that He has created seven universes.  What these refer to exactly is unknown.  Couldn't one of them be the place we go to when we go to sleep?  Peace.

salam

when we sleep we are unconscious, god takes the nafs = consciousness
god takes the nafs doesn't means it is transferred to another place, but we are withheld from consciousness until we are awake.
righteous!"

Bosnian Thinker

Quote from: jibbo on December 28, 2008, 11:19:17 AM
salam

when we sleep we are unconscious, god takes the nafs = consciousness
god takes the nafs doesn't means it is transferred to another place, but we are withheld from consciousness until we are awake.

Peace.  I don't agree.  I still believe that our soul goes to a different "place", a "place" where we experience dreams.

jibbo

Quote from: Bosnian Thinker on December 28, 2008, 06:57:18 PM
Peace.  I don't agree.  I still believe that our soul goes to a different "place", a "place" where we experience dreams.

salam

please tell me why ? what is the reason you believe so ?
peace
righteous!"

Fadhli

I just love this subject. Try google about out of body experience or OBE and astral projection. They explained a lot of things about this stuff. There's a lot of people experienced spontaneous OBE where they just project themselves out of their body and capable of exploring the other realms in this universe. This can also be achieved by using some tools and technique too... Mindset and attitude towards it is an important thing in achieving this.

I could say some key figures about this phenomenon,

the late Robert Monroe who developed the Hemi-Sync technology and Monroe Institute.
Thomas Campbell who researched this nonphysical universe.
William Buhlman, Robert Bruce and plethora of others.

I just let your google shows where you should start.  ;D
The truth is, there is no truth...

TheNabi

Peace

Nietzsche says something along the lines that we interpret our sensory perceptions (that happen while we sleep) in our dreams. Personally I can vouche for that, such as when I've got to pee and when I hear loud noises.

Joe
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek for verification & knowledge. ~> [3/190-191; 17/

Wrestletheangel

I have read somewhere that when we go to sleep, our soul, our POV consciousness, goes to higher planes, thereby allowing the body to rest and heal itself, I believe that dreaming occurs in middle-higher planes, whilst deep dreamless sleep occurs in the highest plane.

One useful tool of increasing self-awareness is to try to control your dreams (when you dream you are in a plane where anything you feel-intend is easily manifested) if your POV (for lack of a better name) is just swept though the dreaming experience you miss out on playing with it and using it to create the micro cosms in which you live. I know for myself this to be hard, it is a bit scary when you realise you can take change and put consciousness in your dreams, for they become more real and you percieve things you don't understand. If that happens remember to have a positive mantra (sth like "be corageous", or "I'm in charge" w-ever) and remind yourself that you are also God you are also the creative principle and that as such you can both create or dissolve whatever you find or not find possitive.

BTW, dreaming occurs on REM sleep, REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement, I wander if this isn't just the body trying to match the all-seeing nature of the pure consciousness (it becomes unidirectional when locked in our bodies.