Main Menu

:: Was Muhammed name of a Prophet? ::

Started by mmkhan, September 18, 2012, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marifhaq

:welcome: :welcome:
My dear Mazhar,Huruf.Bender and others,
the arabic word , kana , does not mean just ,"is"
mostly it is used as ,"was" try looking kana at other places in quran,and for the Ayat, ma kana Mohammad......."was" for kana is more suitable,

May I add that ,some scholars say, that this ayat is not a quranic ayat,if we take kana as "was" but some translators have translated kana as was.so better if we analyze the word, "kana" first.thanks

Man of Faith

كن (or ك و ن ) can also mean "become".

Be safe
Amenuel
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

huruf

If I ever said kaana means is, I was referring to the virb as such, just as we say the ber to be,in Arabic the verb is denominated, that is the name of the verb is the complete sense. So I have never said kaana mean is or was or anything like that in the sense of the veerbal tense, because it is the completed tense in the third person masculine. The uncompleted tense in the same person is yakun.

Onething is the name of the verb, another thing is the tense and it depends on a lot of things which tense is used when.

Salaam

marifhaq

salam to all, Islaamic Awareness, has done dome research on the name Mohammad,scholars suggest that the name Mohammad was a given name to prophet of islam many years after his death,while he was on earth he was not called Mohammad,because archchief and history book suggest that this name came into light much later,it is not on the wriotings of dome of rock,it not in the engravings on rock in Saudi Arab area, whereas names of many Sahaba are mentioned,even early islamic coins have to kalma or this name,but it was inserted later,if any one needs to have some more references he can contact me on my email address, thanks.

almarh0m

Peace be with you all

Khataman Nabiyin = " Seal of the Prophets " which is Muhammad. And Muhammad is, anyone of the countless messengers who posses(ed) exemplary character and conduct, who is fair and just and always uphold justice where-ever he was/is in dealing with people and the environment. Allah is precise in his use of words if he says "khatam" he means just that .......(seal/stamp), and if Allah wants to say "akhir" or last, he would have said so and not say khatam.

This is my personal understanding of the verse under discussion and I am happy with it until Allah guides me to a better understanding.

Peace
"He who Created me, it is He who Guides me"

Timotheus

Quote from: Man of Faith on November 10, 2015, 11:58:34 AM
كن (or ك و ن ) can also mean "become".

Be safe
Amenuel

peace. what leads you to this conclusion?
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

huruf

Quote from: almarh0m on November 21, 2015, 07:37:25 PM
Peace be with you all

Khataman Nabiyin = " Seal of the Prophets " which is Muhammad. And Muhammad is, anyone of the countless messengers who posses(ed) exemplary character and conduct, who is fair and just and always uphold justice where-ever he was/is in dealing with people and the environment. Allah is precise in his use of words if he says "khatam" he means just that .......(seal/stamp), and if Allah wants to say "akhir" or last, he would have said so and not say khatam.

This is my personal understanding of the verse under discussion and I am happy with it until Allah guides me to a better understanding.

Peace

I agree with that. For a long time I hvve upheld that khatam is seal or stamp, and concerning the khataman-nabiyin it is attributed to the transmitter of Qur'an, which is itslef a khatam of scriptures in the sense that you use a stamp like for gold if it passes the test it is indentedif it does not it is not, so with the Qur'an in hand any other purported scripture can be tken as such to whatver extend or discrded as such to whatever extent. The Qur'an has been reserved precisely so that all scriptures can be preserved in what they hold of truth an real divine guidance. Not just those tht sprung in the MIddle East but in the whoe wide world.

Salaam

uq

We should remember that in the prevailing Bedouin culture of 6th century Arabia, men were referred to by their kunya which in English is a surname. (I use surname here in the archaic definition of the word to mean "a name, title, or epithet added to a person's name, especially one indicating their birthplace or a particular quality or achievement" as defined in The New Oxford English Dictionary).

It is reported that Muhammad had a son who died in childhood, his son's name was Ibrāhīm. As such, it is not improbable that Muḥammad was referred to as Abū Ibrāhīm for most of his adult life.

You will notice the same to be the case for many succeeding generations of Arabs who were called by their surname and their proper names. Example, Abū Ḥāmid (referring to Al-Ghazālī), Abū Al-Walīd (referring to Averro?s), Abū Naṣr (referring to Al-Fārābī).

Alternatively, some people of the time may have been given a laqab which in English is a cognomen, such as Ta'abbaṭa Sharrā, or Anf Al-Nāqa.

Alternatively still, some people of the time may have been called by their nabaz which in English is a nickname, such as Babba.

In my experience of today's Arab culture (specifically in the Peninsula), men are still called by their surname (as defined above) as a sign of respect and to confer some sense of deference to him.

I find it very unlikely that Muḥammad would have been called by his first name even by his peers. It is most likely that he would have been called by his surname. However, in today's Arab culture (specifically in the Peninsula), when one is asked for one's name, one mentions one's first name, surname, and family name.

The point I'm trying to make is that if there are a lack of historical sources that indicate Muḥammad's proper (first) name, then it could be on account of the above explanations.

Irrespective of all the above, I suffice myself with 47:2 in believing that the name of the man to whom God revealed the Quran was Muḥammad.
uq

huruf

Quote from: uq on January 23, 2016, 06:46:25 PM

I find it very unlikely that Muḥammad would have been called by his first name even by his peers. It is most likely that he would have been called by his surname. However, in today's Arab culture (specifically in the Peninsula), when one is asked for one's name, one mentions one's first name, surname, and family name.

The point I'm trying to make is that if there are a lack of historical sources that indicate Muḥammad's proper (first) name, then it could be on account of the above explanations.

Irrespective of all the above, I suffice myself with 47:2 in believing that the name of the man to whom God revealed the Quran was Muḥammad.

I agree with that.

Salaam

imrankhawaja

Quote from: uq on January 23, 2016, 06:46:25 PM

yeh no doubt,,, even the book fellows(ahle kitab) called him muhammad,,, mean praised one,,, exactly what has been written in both new and old testamant,,, the proclaimmed one ,, both jews and christians still think their messiah will come ,,, without knowing it already came 1400 years ago,,,