News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Who are the people of the book?

Started by farida, July 30, 2008, 07:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muslimtruthrevealed

Again, Im NOT going to argue with you about or with english translations. In the arabic there is no phrase, word or sentence structure that states, implies or suggests 'previous scriptures'.

If I may suggest again, please review the thread and get a cursory understanding of the language of that ayah, then lets talk.

I made it very clear.

[Saba' 34.49] Say. "The Truth has arrived, and FALSEHOOD NEITHER CREATES ANYTHING NEW, NOR RESTORES ANYTHING."

WayFinder

Quote from: Muslimtruthrevealed on November 05, 2008, 03:18:35 AM
Again, Im NOT going to argue with you about or with english translations. In the arabic there is no phrase, word or sentence structure that states, implies or suggests 'previous scriptures'.

If I may suggest again, please review the thread and get a cursory understanding of the language of that ayah, then lets talk.

I made it very clear.

Peace...

I want to let you know that I am still waiting for your translation of the 7:157... Or the verse simply cannot be translated into english according to you??  I am fed up of arguing with you... However, since we are all wrong and you are the one who is right... then translate the verse for us so that we can understand... I am also waiting you to correct my simple 'newspaper' sentence... especially regarding the HAAL usage... and to apply your highly professional grammatical rules to it... Here is the sentence again...

I found the news written in the newspapers -> Wajad tou Al akhbaara MAKTOOBAN fil jareedah

According to you and your grammar that you have been promoting, this phrase is not correct... However, a real teacher does not only tell his students that something is wrong... BUT he also show them the corrected version for them to learn... So please please please... correct this phrase for me brother....  In my phrase I have 'maktooban fil jareedah' while in the verse we have 'maktooban fit tawraati wal injeel'  .... After you correct this easy and simple sentence, we can apply same rules to the verse 7:157 and the case will be solved... If you prove that you are right, and that is the truth... then we are prepared to accept it....

Do not come and argue that Quranic arabic is different from our current arabic because Quranic Arabic is the STANDARD of arabic language and arabic grammar is derived from the Quraan... The Quranic arabic is called FOUSS-HA Arabic... All arab countries have their arabic slang which they use, but standard arabic is quranic arabic and if you master the standard arabic, you will be able to work/live in any arab country easily... 

So prove yourself if you are truthful....
3:7 He it is Who has revealed the Book to you; some of its verses are decisive, they are the basis of the Book, and others are allegorical; then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity they follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation but none knows its interpretation except Allah, and those who are firmly rooted in knowledge say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord; and none do mind except those having understanding.
[url=http://oulilalbaab.wordpress.com/] :welcome: MY BLOG - [/url][url=http://is.gd/eJaMO]  FACEBOOK :peace:[/url]

Aladin Azra

Quote from: farida on July 30, 2008, 07:00:30 AM
Salaam,

Tradionally we understood that this refers to jews and Christains but then it should have said "People of the books"
My question is, without referring to hadiths; who are people of the book?

:peace:
farida

Ehl-ul-kitaab are Followers of the Book, where the Book is genus and can be any book or books. This is different from El-ledhiine oot-ul-kitaab (Those given the Book), cause they were given the Book from Allah (ie. Tewraat, Injeel, Qur'an). These Ehl-ul-kitaab could be called in English "bookish" (I think), since they're getting their knowledge from the Book. They're wrongly identified as Pharisees, as they are the Scribes. In the Qur'an they're some of the Jews and some of the Christians.

One could say that the followers of the Qur'an are also Ehl-ul-kitaab, and that can be the case, but not the rule, even they're rather el-ledhiine oot-ul-kitaab. Ehl-ul-kitaab are only those who strictly follows the Book, no matter what. This should be no case for the Muslims, since we can use a convention (fully agree on something), we can think and make own decisions.

The main issue with these people is that they have a rule on everything, so they cannot go by their own. This was done by their own writing of the Book they follow, and changing existing ones, no matter if these are from Allah or not. So called Hadeeth followers are of these people, those who think that Books arrange their lives in any matter. For example, I was listening a "scholar" saying that there's a rule even for a haircut of the people.

Allah set His boundaries (Hudood), but left us a very huge area of freedom, where we can express ourselves. Ehl-ul-kitaab are not from some religion nor followers of some particular books, they're just people who strictly follow the rules from some books arranging their lives fully by them.
Ordo ab LICENTIA.