News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

New Groundbreaking Arabic Book: Peacemaking from the Quran

Started by ayman, December 02, 2012, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Chimp

Quote from: es on December 24, 2013, 10:21:55 PM
Come on, brother, there's no need for such comments.

We should not lose sight.
We should not fight.
We should hold on to the rope nice and tight.
We should unite.

Why not? It was a light-hearted comment . . . jeez!

hawk99

Quote from: es on December 24, 2013, 10:21:55 PM
Come on, brother, there's no need for such comments.

We should not lose sight.
We should not fight.
We should hold on to the rope nice and tight.
We should unite.

Quote from: The_Chimp on December 24, 2013, 11:19:27 PM
Why not? It was a light-hearted comment . . . jeez!

Jeez = Jesus = call on Jesus for assistance

ya Allah = call on Allah for assistance, is the best expression of exasperation, but you already know that!

God bless

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

The_Chimp

Quote from: hawk99 on December 25, 2013, 02:33:05 AM

Jeez = Jesus = call on Jesus for assistance

ya Allah = call on Allah for assistance, is the best expression of exasperation, but you already know that!

God bless

I also know that Jeez - is mild expression of surprise. . . .and NOT calling Jesus Christ for help. 

hawk99

Quote from: The_Chimp on December 25, 2013, 02:53:52 AM
I also know that Jeez - is mild expression of surprise. . . .and NOT calling Jesus Christ for help.

hmmm, ok,

On the one hand you are correct:

Definition of JEEZ
?used as a mild oath or introductory expletive (as to express surprise)

On the other hand......

Origin of JEEZ
euphemism for Jesus
First Known Use: 1923

God bless

Man of Faith

Peace,

That is true. Saying jeez is using Jesus' name, even if by slang.

I usually say "oh Lord God". It may be more righteous.

God bless you
Website reference: [url="http://iamthatiam.boards.net"]http://iamthatiam.boards.net[/url]

Zulf

What is important is what we mean when we utter what we utter. The intention is the important thing.... not the etymology of the uttered word/expression. Then of course, there are expression, although innocently uttered, that we perhaps better refrain from using... like "bloody hell"... or worse...

Uttering 'jeez' doesn't mean we call on Jesus... and just because we celebrate Christmas it doesn't mean we believe Jesus was more than a human man, and it doesn't even mean we commemorate Jesus birth at all, whether as God incarnate or as just a human messenger.

Peace
If you name me, you negate me.

The_Chimp

Quote from: Man of Faith on December 25, 2013, 04:57:42 AM
Peace,

That is true. Saying jeez is using Jesus' name, even if by slang.

I usually say "oh Lord God". It may be more righteous.

God bless you

You are getting extremely petty . . . following me around and leaving nasty comments just for the sake of it. You do not know much or have answer . . . like all your brethren resort to making up nonsense. 

Rather than highlighting your inadequacies - try staying quiet.

The_Chimp

Quote from: hawk99 on December 25, 2013, 03:07:12 AM
hmmm, ok,

On the one hand you are correct:

Definition of JEEZ
?used as a mild oath or introductory expletive (as to express surprise)

On the other hand......

Origin of JEEZ
euphemism for Jesus
First Known Use: 1923

God bless

It did start off as an abbreviation of saying Jesus - but not saying "Oh Jesus" . . . and it is better than you sing "Jesus Christ" as a an expression to express surprise or annoyance.

- - -

I don't particularly have any problems saying Jesus Christ! other than to showing disrespect or taking his name in vain.

hawk99

Quote from: Zulf on December 25, 2013, 10:40:56 AM
What is important is what we mean when we utter what we utter. The intention is the important thing.... not the etymology of the uttered word/expression. Then of course, there are expression, although innocently uttered, that we perhaps better refrain from using... like "bloody hell"... or worse...

Uttering 'jeez' doesn't mean we call on Jesus... and just because we celebrate Christmas it doesn't mean we believe Jesus was more than a human man, and it doesn't even mean we commemorate Jesus birth at all, whether as God incarnate or as just a human messenger.

Peace

Peace Zulf,

Of course you are correct, but I was not addressing intentions, only the definition, knowledge is king.

Quote from: The_Chimp on December 25, 2013, 11:08:36 AM
It did start off as an abbreviation of saying Jesus - but not saying "Oh Jesus" . . . and it is better than you sing "Jesus Christ" as a an expression to express surprise or annoyance.

- - -

I don't particularly have any problems saying Jesus Christ! other than to showing disrespect or taking his name in vain.

I understand your point, on the other hand, some may interpret it as you calling on other than God.

God bless

Zulf

Quote from: hawk99 on December 25, 2013, 11:11:52 AM
Peace Zulf,

Of course you are correct, but I was not addressing intentions, only the definition, knowledge is king.

I understand your point, on the other hand, some may interpret it as you calling on other than God.

God bless

Definitely agreed.
I felt I just wanted to exclaim my own idea. I fully understand your point of view. I often take a similar standpoint.

The tricky part is that we very often cannot know the other party's real motivation... we only guess, and then judge as per our own ideas and assumptions. This is what we all do. All "sides" accuse the "other side" based on conjecture. It's the trademark of the human being.

Peace and best wishes!
If you name me, you negate me.