News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Taxes

Started by Al-Azhar, September 28, 2011, 05:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al-Azhar

Read an article about taxing wealth not income in Islam.
Confused as usual, so someone care to explain with examples?

Peace,

Azhar
Be open-minded and promote freedom of expression; listen to all views and follow the best (39:18)

Do not miss the main point by indulging in small and inconsequential details (2:67-
71; 5:101-102; 22:67)

Producer

http://free-minds.org articles don't have search tool. please provide the link/page of the article.

Al-Azhar

Sorry for the late reply, i forgot i posted this!

I have been searching for the articles which i read on the net and i have found one but its just an article on wiki.answers. I can't find the articles that i had read originally.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Concept_of_Taxation_in_Islam
Be open-minded and promote freedom of expression; listen to all views and follow the best (39:18)

Do not miss the main point by indulging in small and inconsequential details (2:67-

Producer

2:256
There shall be no compulsion in the religion.

To tax by compulsion, is prohibited. What verse from Quran, that make tax Compulsory?

Just Verse from Quran, no where else. 

Abdul-Hadi

Greetings and Peace, all  :group:

2:256 There shall be no compulsion in the religion.

What do taxes have to do with the religion/deen:confused:

Just because something is compulsory, it doesn't mean that it is prohibited IF it is not pertaining to the deen!  :!

:peace:

~Abdul-Hadi

Layth

20% can be applied as a tax by an Islamic state.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

Producer

Pay you Taxes Voluntarily. I don't feel volunteer to pay taxes. Maybe in 1000years later I may get the feeling to Voluntarily pay taxes.   :)

Tax done to fund the State Govt. Tariff is a tax on Import, protecting the State Local Industry.

Tax the State, Cheap imports will weaken the State. US free trade for example, Taxing the state, no tariff for imports(free trade).

Student of Allah

Salam,

I think most people misunderstand the concept of taxation. It can be used for benefit or cause injustice. Anarchist behaviors are seen from people who somewhat separate the state from its people and assume that the tax money will be used for increasing "the king's" wealth. But it does not have to be that. We can sort it out in a way which would benefit us. Spending it for our benefits and using it to make sure the economy doesn't collapse, we can defend ourselves against enemies, we can increase our knowledge, we can eat sleep and shit in peace :)

Everyone would like their interceptor fighter jets to destroy the enemy fleet if the enemy comes to attack their nation, but no one is willing to make sure we have the money to afford the fighter jets in the first place :P Setting a reasonable base tax rate does not mean you are creating a new law in God's perfect deen. It only violates the deen if your rate of tax or the reason for the taxation or the way you tax or the one you tax violates the deen.

Peace
--------------------- Student of Allah
[url=http://studentofallah.blogspot.com/]"Student of Allah"'s blog[/url]

Al-Azhar

Thanks for the replies.

So
Quote from: Layth on October 07, 2011, 03:43:46 AM
20% can be applied as a tax by an Islamic state.

And it says that in the Quran?

I was reading up on those "ask the imam" sites and they were saying there's only a 2.5% tax...not that i put much weight on anything they say.

Also, is it on income or wealth?

I don't mean to sound pedantic..I'm just curious to know.

Peace!

Producer

I found no compulsory tax in the Quran.

Islam cannot impose tax.

2:256
There shall be no compulsion in the religion.