About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Recipes

Started by Leyna, July 11, 2010, 01:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyna

Peace everyone  :peace:

Do you have some recipes to share? If yes please post them here.  :eat:

Quote from: LeynaGiven my love for Indian food, I would love to get some interesting recipes from the Pakistani members on here.

Quote from: Ayisha
requests

somosa recipe
pakora recipe
lentil daal

taking account of we only got 1 flour type in Luxor, which is used for everything and can only get lentils not any other special lentil type things you might use

Thank you  ;D

I'll start with some recipes I love.

One of my alltime favourites: palak paneer, spinach with homemade cheese.

I serve it with basmati rice and lentils with fried onions.

Palak paneer is a delicately flavored vegetable which is eaten with relish in North India. Palak paneer is a favorite Indian vegetable, which is both nourishing and delicious. It is a North Indian dish, which is popularly served with meals all over the country. Palak paneer is made of palonshak and paneer. Palanshak is the Indian name for spinach, and paneer is the Indian counterpart of cheese. However, paneer can also be substituted with tofu to suit individual taste.

Ingredients

Paneer ? 500 gms
Fresh spinach- two medium sized bunches
Fresh coriander- half a bunch
Cooking oil ? 4 tsps
Onion- one large
Tomato- One large
Garlic paste- 3tsps
Ginger paste- 1tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsps
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
Butter- 1 tsp

Preparation

First cut the paneer into small ( about 1?) cubes.
Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat 2 tsps of cooking oil.
Stir-fry the paneer cubes till golden brown.
Remove and drain on a tissue. Keep paneer aside.
Add 2 spoons of oil in same pan and fry chopped or grinded onion till soft.
Add garlic and ginger paste and stir for a minute before mixing the tomato paste, freshly chopped coriander leaves, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
Mix well and roast for a while.
Boil the spinach leaves and blend in a food processor after they cool down.
Add spinach paste to the mixture.
Now add the fried paneer cubes to the gravy and mix well, without crushing them.
Garnish with butter and serve hot with Indian rotis or parathas.

www.indianrecipes.co.in/indian-vegetarian-recipes/palak-paneer.html

Paneer - Indian cottage cheese

you need

milk (full cream): 1 liter
lemon: 1
muslin cloth or a fine thin cloth

Preparation

1. take 1 liter milk in a heavy bottomed vessel.
2. let it boil, now reduce the flame and to the boiling milk add the juice of 1 lemon
3. as soon as u add the lemon juice the milk will immediately split.
4. cook this till the milk is curdled and a pale yellow transparent water is left behind .
(you can add more lemon if required).
5. keep on stiring occassionaly to avoid sticking of the milk at the bottom of the vessel.
6. now strain this in a fine muslin cloth to separate the water from the curdled milk.
7. hang this cloth for about 1 hour to drain all the excess water.
8. this lump of curdled milk in the cloth is paneer which can be cut into pieces and used in any dish as per requirement.

http://www.sanatansociety.org/indian_vegetarian_recipes/vegetarian_recipes_basic_paneer_recipy.htm

Note: I usually triple the recipe since the cheese keeps in the fridge for quite some time.

Lentils with fried onions

200 gms red or brown lentils
1 liter of water
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tomatoes, diced
salt
2 green chilli peppers (or more, according to taste)
fresh coriander
2 tbs. ghee or oil
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium sized onions, sliced
chili pepper, according to taste

~Put lentils, water, turmeric, cumin and tomatoes in pot and cook for 10-20 minutes, or until lentils are soft.

~Add salt and take off the stove.

~Heat the ghee or oil in a small pot and fry the onions and the garlic until brown. The onions are similar to the ones you put on kushari, so you have to be patient and fry them for at least about 20 minutes, until they are nicely dark and crisp, but not burned.

~Sprinkle onions on the lentils, serve with basmati rice.

jaythikay99

savage_carrot

Quote from: Ayishataking advantage while the subject has been thrown in

requests

somosa recipe
pakora recipe
lentil daal

taking account of we only got 1 flour type in Luxor, which is used for everything and can only get lentils not any other special lentil type things you might use
I think you might get some good recipes off the net for the first two. I have no idea how to make those things myself, I use the ready made mixes like Shan etc for pakoras. Lentils however I make in basically the same way Leyna mentioned, except we don't use ghee at all (makes me queasy) and add whole white zeera/cumin and dried red chillies to the final oil flavouring along with the browned onions. Also we add chili powder whilst cooking the dal/lentils. I have a great recipe for chicken karahi however without using a ready made mix! RH take note:

Chicken Karahi

3 tbs oil
1 med onion
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1.5 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
1 tsp chili (or to taste)
Quarter tsp turmeric
2 lbs chicken in pieces
6 tbs plain yougurt
half cup chopped tomato
Salt to taste

Final flavouring:

1 tbs peeled fresh ginger in shreds
7-8 tbs chopped cilantro
2-3 whole green chilies
1 tsp garam masala
7-8 tbs peeled and finely chopped tomatoes

Oil in pot on med-high heat, when it's hot, put in the onions, garlic and ginger. Stir fry till golden brown. Add salt chili powder and turmeric. Stir once or twice and chuck in the chicken. Fry until the chicken turns opaque on the outside. Add the yogurt and tomato. Cook, stirring until the yogurt disappears. Cover and cook for 10 minutes/until it's cooked, stirring now and again. Stir in all ingredients then for the final flavouring, cover and reduce the heat as low as possible and cook for another 3 minutes or so.

Just recalled Leyna's a vegetarian. I have this Sri Lankan worker who makes the most awesome potato curry ever. It's somewhat Thai-ish but not and very spicy which is awesome, at the same time it's complemented with creaminess from the coconut milk. I'll ask her how she makes that.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Leyna

Quote from: savage_carrot on July 12, 2010, 03:37:29 AM
Lentils however I make in basically the same way Leyna mentioned, except we don't use ghee at all (makes me queasy) and add whole white zeera/cumin

Actually, I add cumin too even though it's not mentioned in the recipe.

Maisha

Oh Yummy food!!!

Rice Pakoras

Great way to use up left over rice.

Leftover cooked (plain) rice plus yoghurt. It should just make a thick batter. Leave it out for a few hours so that yoghurt gets a nice sourish taste. Add gram flour...enough to make it a pakora type consistency ie not too watery nor too hard. Add salt, fresh coriander leaves, garlic paste and red chillie powder.

Take small amounts in your hand and drop into fairly hot oil (not too hot as the outside will cook faster and insde will be raw). You can reduce the heat slightly once the pakoras have taken shape. Fry for a few minutes. They will make little squidgy shapes ie not perfect rounds. (You can use a teaspoon to drop the batter in the oil as well)

Serve with green chutney.

Ayisha

aahh read the recipes, felt hungry, went in kitchen, found hubby drinking milk and raw egg, dont feel hungry now  :-\
In the name of God, The Compassionate, The Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe,
The Compassionate, The Merciful,
Sovereign of the Day of Judgement!
You alone we worship, and to You alone we turn for help.
Guide us to the straight path,
The path of those You have favoured,
Not of those who have incurred Your wrath,
Nor of those who have gone astray.

Maisha

^^ Feel free to post burnt lasagne recipe  :P

Leyna

Thanks, maisha, I will definitely try this since I often have leftover rice.  :)

Ayisha

Quote from: Maisha on July 13, 2010, 07:46:13 AM
^^ Feel free to post burnt lasagne recipe  :P
;D I will do later, must try doing some work now.  :-[
In the name of God, The Compassionate, The Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe,
The Compassionate, The Merciful,
Sovereign of the Day of Judgement!
You alone we worship, and to You alone we turn for help.
Guide us to the straight path,
The path of those You have favoured,
Not of those who have incurred Your wrath,
Nor of those who have gone astray.

jaythikay99

Quote from: Ayisha on July 13, 2010, 07:39:01 AM
aahh read the recipes, felt hungry, went in kitchen, found hubby drinking milk and raw egg, dont feel hungry now  :-\
:muscle:  :laugh: