Author Topic: Salah, Ghusl and Wudu  (Read 525 times)

Sania Haque

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Salah, Ghusl and Wudu
« on: January 12, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »
Assalamo Alaikum,

This topic is still one of the most debated topic here but I want to know something different this time. After reading multiple posts on how the word salat can mean something different and it's really not about the traditional ritual prayer, I came to the conclusion that I did agree with them. So basically I stopped praying for a while because  i really didn't think there was any us of it. And really finding out that tahajjud prayer is not any miraculous prayer that Allah loves and grants us wishes is still very heartbreaking ( I am still not over that lose ). Anyways joking aside, I saw no benefits of praying the traditional way. Boy was I wrong. These past few weeks have been a curse for me. a) I felt really lost. I think it was bound to happen since this change was so sudden and leaving behind something which had been a big part of your life until now is really depressing. b) now I dont know how to actually pray to Allah. See we are alll taught since our childhood that namaz/salah is like conversing directly with God, and Allah listens to you. Salah has been something that has helped my spiritual journey so much. Now the connection between me and Allah is lost. It just feels so off. When I try to pray ,( i still dont know what the heck i am doing but I an trying ) it doesn't feels like praying, i donot feel the same kind of connection with Allah, when I pray I feel like i am just talking to nothing like I am just blabbering silently to open air. Not gonna lie my faith has just been dwindling away ( as I have mentioned in one of my previous posts ). Nothing is the same anymore, like i know I was misguided back then but my faith in Allah was just 📈📈📈📈 and the thing I missed the most is those arabic duas which when  you recite them X times and it would get you Allah's protection/wishes come true/etc etc. I think it was just the matter of beliefs because I used to believe they were miraculous and they really did help me. Now as soon as I start to recite those old duas whenever hardships strikes me, I pause and I am reminded of the fact that they are not miraculous. They are just normal words which is in arabic and it doesn't matter if we actually pray in arabic or in our native tongue. Oh well the magic is gone. Life has been kicking my butt these last few days and my anxiety has gone so bad that I have reached my breaking point. The fact that now I cannot even pray properly and have this constant nagging that Allah is not hearing me and my duas are going unheard is literally making me go crazy. I decided that I will stick to the traditional ritual pray for the sake of my sanity. At the end of the day Allah only wants me to establish prayers so it really doesn't matter which way I choose to fullfil his commands. The traditional prayer is anyways all about glorifying Allah in arabic and I really see nothing wrong with it. I am ready to follow anything that helps me grow spiritually. Traditional prayers have given me a sense of security and peace since the beginning and at this pont I need to feel Allah's presence in my heart in any ways that is possible.

So members of FMO, how many of you decided to stick with traditional prayers and how many of you are still stuck with it ? Any advice on how you observed the prayer while keeping it in line with Quran ?

Now coming to the main dilemma, wudu and ghusl. Performing them is east peasy. Knowing what breaks wudu and what makes ghusl mandatory has been a pain in my backside. At least wudu is still somewhat not that much of a big deal because most of the time water is available and I can renew it. But what about ghusl? The sectarians have spread out a list but now it's pretty sus to me.
Now I did a quick research that ghusl becomes mandatory when :

-you have sex ( I think we find this in the Quran too ) but they say even if a person didn't have any sex,  discharge of sexual fluids through masturbation/wet dreams or any other factor makes ghusl mandatory. So does the Quran actually speaks about sexual intercourse or just sexual fluids ?

- Menstruation of course. But I have heard that we can still pray during our menses ( heeeellllllllppppppl )

- Post partum bleeding ( huh ? )

Can It be possible that ghusl and salah are not even related ? Like ghusl is just Ghusl ( bath ) and even if you haven't yet had a shower after menstruation/sex you can still pray ?

Also any advice how yall deal with hardships in life without these dua assisting you? Like of course all of still pray and ask Allah to guide us and ease our hardships but how do yall do it ? Like do yall just go " Allah help me " in your heart ? Moreover, do yall still believe in those Quranic duas that are actually just verses of Quran, you know they have so many of them, one of the most popular one of them " dua e yunoos ". It hasn't actually helped me quite frankly. But still. Do they help? ( I dont think they make much difference tho )

PS : how do you get over the heartbreak of coming to know that tahajjud prayer is a lie ? 😔✌🏻

Peace

nimnimak_11

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Salah, Ghusl and Wudu
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
Life has been kicking my butt these last few days and my anxiety has gone so bad that I have reached my breaking point.
Do you believe God is Almighty? Do you believe that God Handles ALL affairs (including how you feel or who can do what to you...including yourself)? Do you believe God Handles all affairs Perfectly? By Perfectly I mean whatever happens to you or someone else, is absolutely perfect/fair/just/beautiful/glorious.

If you sincerely believe yes to the above questions, then I don't understand how you can have anxiety. Anxiety is rooted in a fear of imperfection happening or occurring. Like you're afraid someone or something will have something happen to them that they didn't FULLY deserve. But this is impossible because God Controls Everything. If you trust in God, you have nothing to fear, nor anything to grieve because God is wholly innocent of evil, and God Handles ALL affairs. And none can be as good to you as God, not even yourself. It is only when your sincerity or trust in God is lacking that fear and grieving become at all possible.

The fact that now I cannot even pray properly and have this constant nagging that Allah is not hearing me and my duas are going unheard is literally making me go crazy.

But God Knows what you reveal and what you hide. The idea that Allah is not hearing you is absurd/paradoxical/false. You are not responsible for what happens to you. God is Responsible for what happens to you and everyone else. All you are responsible for is what you choose to be (good or evil, sincere to God or insincere to God), you are only responsible for what you choose. Nothing else. The consequences of your choices, are all God's and God's responsibility alone. Neither you nor anyone else possesses an atom's weight in comparison to God. God Tells you that if you choose to be evil in an unrepentant manner, then it's good/perfection that you be punished. God is Responsible for your punishment. God is responsible for perfection. Not you. All good/perfection is from God, all evil is from ourselves. Our decision to view God as not truly Perfect, is unfair to God. This rightfully causes us suffering. So do your best view/treat God as truly Perfect. Because that is the truth. This constant nagging that Allah is not hearing your dua, is a consequence of how you view God. You are not viewing God as Perfect. God is much higher than what we view It. But at least let's do our best to view it as Perfect as we can.

So members of FMO, how many of you decided to stick with traditional prayers and how many of you are still stuck with it ? Any advice on how you observed the prayer while keeping it in line with Quran ?

I upheld ablution like the Quran said and tried to uphold 'Salat' twice a day. One at the beginning of my day and one at the end of it. Salat for me would be sitting down and remembering God with verses and things that I came across in life that injected me with the reverence of God. It also consists of me recalling some of the things I say to myself to never do again and thing that I should try to improve on. Recently I stopped even this. I find that sometimes I wake up and really don't need to do my Salat because my reverence is potent. I've seen multiple times that when I try to Salat with a potent reverent state, I harm myself and even my reverence. I still feel a genuine need to uphold at least once a day or even twice. But my understanding of Salat is completely different at the moment. God Willing, I will start a new thread to discuss how the verses outlining ablution are actually describing mental preparation for going about your day seeking to respond and race towards God. This seeking to respond and race towards God is Salat in my opinion. For example, if I try and understand more about the nature of Existence on all levels (from overall things to things that pertain to my current situation in life and what sort of goals I should set to pursue in relation to improving my situation to the point of Heaven), and exercise reason in trying to do this, I think this is Salat.

I really don't think traditional salat has any benefit other than that it shows that you are willing to be humble and disciplined. Past a certain point, if you persist with it, I think you are willing to show laziness in Salat, in that you are being called to progress and change, but you do not take the step towards this. If you are not called to this, then you are not lazy at all. If someone genuinely finds potent benefit in traditional salat, such that to them it is truly as important as the Quran makes it out to be, then they should continue with it. They should make sure though that they are not lying to themselves in the name of religion or God.

Having said that, fasting would seem pointless at first glance, maybe even ridiculous. Don't eat, it's virtuous/sawab. But with the studies coming through on intermittent fasting, it would it is madness to not fast in my opinion. Traditional salat is completely useless to me. I'm very confident on this. The Salat I upheld, was clearly beneficial to me, but the idea of doing it twice a day, was showing signs of harming reverence such that either I changed the content of my Salat, or I uphold less frequently. This is still something striving in terms of trying to form a better understanding.
Now coming to the main dilemma, wudu and ghusl. Performing them is east peasy. Knowing what breaks wudu and what makes ghusl mandatory has been a pain in my backside. At least wudu is still somewhat not that much of a big deal because most of the time water is available and I can renew it. But what about ghusl? The sectarians have spread out a list but now it's pretty sus to me.

-you have sex ( I think we find this in the Quran too ) but they say even if a person didn't have any sex,  discharge of sexual fluids through masturbation/wet dreams or any other factor makes ghusl mandatory. So does the Quran actually speaks about sexual intercourse or just sexual fluids ?

- Menstruation of course. But I have heard that we can still pray during our menses ( heeeellllllllppppppl )

- Post partum bleeding ( huh ? )

Can It be possible that ghusl and salah are not even related ? Like ghusl is just Ghusl ( bath ) and even if you haven't yet had a shower after menstruation/sex you can still pray ?

I really don't think we need to to physical ablution. I will hopefully start a new thread to discuss this more. Just do what you think God would want you to do whilst viewing God as truly Perfect. Ask yourself all the time, am I viewing my Lord as Perfect? Am I sincere in my view of God Being Perfect? Or do I just believe God is God without really thinking about Godliness/Perfectness of God?

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »
Peace sister.
My experience with  salat led me to go back to basics and work on myself. I found it pointless asking people what to do and a waste of time doing things I was not ready for.
Basically concentrate on your own character and live for both your well being and the wellbeing of all the other creatures.

GOD stands for all that is "good". Ibada is following /mirroring/….the good . That is living for the sake of GOD.
Qoran calls it "Sirat Al Mustaqeem".-The straight path-.
So, try your best to be the following:
Just, peaceful, non aggressive, tolerant ,forgiving, fair, "love GOD and love thy neighbour", sincere and approachable...etc.

A character with good morals and the love of GOD and His creatures would be living for the sake of GOD.

Both easy to see and difficult to do. Try your best anyway if you can.

If you have worked on these basics ,then your salat will come easy as you will be connected to your creator. 24/7.

I have found that I needed help from GOD and like my body needed 5 meals a day, my soul needed feeding also . So I do my salat 5 times a day by connecting to GOD 5 specific times a day to recharge my spirit. Yes to grow our soul we need these connections like your mobile needs to be charged daily to keep functioning.
As well as the basics,Salat,Sawum,...etc  are extras to help us stay on the straight path and to keep our soul healthy.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/

tlihawa

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »

Peace

Salaam Sania,
I think it's not necessary a Ghusl (bath), but something as describe on the verse below,

5:6 O you who believe, when you rise up for salat, then wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you have had intercourse, then you shall purify. And if you are ill, or traveling, or you have excreted feces, or you have had sexual contact with the women, and you cannot find water, then you shall select from the clean soil; you shall wipe your faces and your hands with it. God does not want to place any hardship on you, but He wants to purify you and to complete His blessings upon you that you may be thankful.

To me ablution and salat are related, since one of my salat form is to read/study Al Quran at the appointed time (4:103, 11:114, 17:78-79)

My goal to learn Al Quran during my salat is to get better understanding, however, none can grasp it except those purified.

56:77   It is an honorable Qur'an.
56:78   In a protected Book.
56:79   None can grasp it, except those purified.
56:80   A revelation from the Lord of the worlds.

So from 5:6, God said that this ablution is to purify us,

5:6 .....God does not want to place any hardship on you, but He wants to purify you and to complete His blessings upon you that you may be thankful.

Beside the physical purification like ablution, also there's a way to do it spiritually through the sadaqah,

9:103    Take from their wealth a sadaqah to sanctify them and purify them with it, and salla upon them; for your salataqa is a tranquility for them; and God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.

So hopefully by taking these actions we will be able to grasp information from Al Quran.

Now I would like to share with you my understanding regarding why we should avoid sexual intercourse and the things related to it when we have intention to study quran.

During Ramadhan, God allow us to have sexual intercourse at night,

2:187 It has been made permissible for you during the night of fasting to approach your women sexually. They are a garment for you and you are a garment for them. God knew that you used to betray your souls, so He has redeemed you, and forgiven you; now you may approach them and seek what God has written for you. And you may eat and drink until the white thread is distinct from the black thread of dawn; then you shall complete the fast until night; and do not approach them while you are devoted <akifuna> in masjid. These are the boundaries of God, so do not transgress them. It is thus that God clarifies His revelations to the people that they may be righteous.

but not when we devoted in Masjid to seek what God has written to us.

and during the Hajj,

2:197 The Hajj is in the appointed months; so whoever decides to perform Hajj in them, then there shall be no sexual approach,

The reason lies in 2:196, I have my own translation for that,

2:196  And complete hajj and umrah for Allah. And If you are abstain from sexual intercourse <uh'sir'tum>, then it will be easier for the guidance <hadyi> ; and do not disturb your heads until you reach the guidance (to be focus)...

So this is why we need to be purified. But having said that, it doesn't mean we should avoid sex forever.

This practice of abstaining from sexual intercourse is quite popular among religious people in the past.

Higher Taoist practices what they called cultivating male sexual energy. They avoid sex to get enlightenment. https://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Secrets-Love-Cultivating-Sexual/dp/0943358191

Also some of the priest don't get married. Do they have the same reason? or something else? I don't know.

However, Monasticism is not part of the God rules,

57:27   Then We sent in their tracks Our messengers. And We sent Isa, son of Mary, and We gave him the Injil, and We ordained in the hearts of his followers kindness and mercy. But they invented monasticism which We never decreed for them. They wanted to please God, but they did not observe it the way it should have been observed. Consequently, We gave those who believed among them their recompense, while many of them were wicked.

So we should avoid sex only on certain points as described in Quran, not for the whole life.

Peace