Author Topic: repentance, absolution  (Read 854 times)

PeggyVega

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: repentance, absolution
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 04:20:52 AM »
The Quran says, "Those who remember God and implore forgiveness for their sins if they do something shameful or wrong themselves - who forgives sins but God? - and who never knowingly persist in doing wrong"

nimnimak_11

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: repentance, absolution
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:10:48 AM »
Salam everyone,

Here is are 2 translations of  verse 4.17 I wonder if I understood well :

Sahih international :The repentance accepted by Allah is only for those who do wrong in ignorance [or carelessness] and then repent soon after. It is those to whom Allah will turn in forgiveness, and Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.

Yusuf Ali: Allah accept the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and repent soon afterwards; to them will Allah turn in mercy: For Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom.

The verse in arabic:
إِنَّمَا ٱلتَّوْبَةُ عَلَى ٱللَّهِ لِلَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ ٱلسُّوٓءَ بِجَهَٰلَةٍ ثُمَّ يَتُوبُونَ مِن قَرِيبٍ فَأُو۟لَٰٓئِكَ يَتُوبُ ٱللَّهُ عَلَيْهِمْ وَكَانَ ٱللَّهُ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا 

So the repentance is only accepted when someone commit a sin (by evil i wonder if it includes all sins) without knowing it is bad and repent soon after.
So he have to repent immediatly after he realized he has done evil.
But it can take more or less time for one to realize it, right ?

I can see examples of people, who commit sins, know there are sins or ignore the warns of some believers. At the moment maybe they didn't realized the serouisness of their deeds or were somehow not "ready" .

I wonder with the verse above if their deeds will be forgiven, if their repentance will be accepted. Seems like that no. But i could be wrong.

I give a few example here to illustrate:

The man (or woman) who commits adultery and did it several times and knew that it was bad but only repented years laters. He committed it not to challenge God but because of weakness or wasn't able to stop himself ( or not willing to not do it at that time).

The woman who had seen someone (a wizard ?) in order to make something to keep her husband, thinking that it was a good thing. I heard stories like this in Morrocco. What about her repentance ?

To sump up: There is no way to repent unless we do evil by ignorance, isn't it.
So even one has been accorded by Allah a life of 70 years  (for example) but did "evil" not by ignorance in his life and repented after, he won't be forgiven.
example: He committed sins from 20 to 50, repented at 50 and has 20 years left before he dies.

I believed before I read this verse, that the sincere repentances were accepted if done before agonizing, when we are about to die or a few times before dying. But didn't thought that those you did sins thiking they can do all sins they want and just need to "hajj" or repented to be forgiven: I means those who somehow "plays" or are premeditating or calculating.

I just wonder if there is here (in this verse) a degree of seriousness to be take, the real attention of the people ( really bad or "just" negligent or carefree).

I noticed in the translations that some translators added "carelessness" or " folishness" as if the word translated by "ignorance" encompasses those meanings.

Can someone bring more details ? (by using verses and their knolewdge in arabic).

May the God guide us.

If I sin and then seek forgiveness in a genuine and sincere manner, then I think that means my punishment ends. If I intentionally rape a woman, and then seek forgiveness from God, then can it be the case that nothing bad happens to me? If my repentance is truly sincere, I think my punishment ends and nothing bad happens to me afterwards. But how do you sincerely seek forgiveness for raping a woman with intent? Is it not the case that you would voluntarily hand yourself over to the authorities or slave away to make amends to the woman you raped? So in this, is there suffering? If you are truly repentant during this process, I'm not sure you can truly suffer. The more truly repentant your are, the less you suffer I think. The less repentant you are (despite taking the steps towards repentance, such as handing yourself over to the authorities, or slaving away for the woman) the more you suffer in your goal for setting things right. If you persist in your attempt to set things right, it may be such that you become truly repentant such that you are no longer Hell worthy. Now contrast this with when you do something without fully intending or knowing that it is evil. I don't think any suffering would follow for you if you truly view your Lord as Perfect.