Author Topic: New article: salat timings as per The Quran  (Read 10264 times)

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
Re: New article: salat timings as per The Quran
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »
Also sidenote, you state here that fajr salah begins at twilight. Can you remind me where this stems from? Why does it not start from full darkness prior to twilight?

In my article I clearly state the verses: "11:114, 17:78, 24:58..."

I'm not against it starting at the full darkness just prior to morning twilight as it's not like its an exact science, i.e. it's not like everyone knows the exact second when dark night ends and when morning twilight begins. It's a guide, an exemplar. In practical terms I do not see why it would be started at dark night  because it's dark, more difficult to see where one is going and since reading of Quran is likely involved (depending on your view of the regular/timed salat of the mumineen) then being able to see the text helps.

Your updated pic does not conflict with anything I wrote. Please read what I wrote, quote:

Two common interpretations have been to take "duluk al-shams" as "sunset" or "sinking/rubbing/pressing of the sun" (i.e. from when the lower edge of the sun disc rubs/touches the horizon). I have personally swayed between these two understandings. The primary signification of DLK is rubbing, and if this is coupled with 20:130 wherein it says "before the setting/departing of the sun" then this would fit. In other words, "duluk al-shams" can mean when the sun's lower edge rubs the horizon BEFORE sunset.
If we consider one undertaking 'salat al-fajr' (the salat of/at dawn) then it is easy to realise one may crossover timewise into some point after sunrise, due to concentration/focus and/or finishing recitation/reading etc. In other words, going from "before the rising of the sun" (i.e. dawn) to after the sun's rising, i.e. "edges of the daytime" in this instance.
Thus, the "edges of the daytime" could be incorporated under the 'salat al-fajr' and 'salat al-3sha' periods, especially so if one wished to extend these periods in length.

Perhaps I could add a link to your pic to explain what I mean (in case anyone still doesn't get it).

THINK about it in practical terms. If one is undertaking salat al fajr do you expect to have one eye on Quran* and one eye on the horizon to make sure the sun does not cross over? Of course not. What if one is halfway through a verse do they stop as soon as they glimpse the sun might be above horizon? Of course not.

*or if you think it means prayer then do you expect to be looking down and up constantly or looking around to make sure the sun doesn't cross the horizon.

Further does anyone honestly think God, the almighty, the merciful, is going to care if you are a few mins out here or there, or you didn't start/stop at the exact time. Not the God I believe in.

Let me state again, quote:

No matter where one is in the world all societies have a morning (activity/working period) and evening time (sleep/rest period). Of course this would mean there is no set time-range for each salat in this scenario, which is not a problem in my view, and the morning and evening time-ranges in Quran can be taken as exemplars/models to follow.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org