Author Topic: Is it possible for God to communicate with us through ways other than the Qur'an  (Read 3566 times)

tlihawa

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
So you're saying that the God of the UNIVERSE communicates with humanity exclusively through a book that came from Arabia 1400 years ago? It's pretty tough thing to propose. What about those before that ? What about those who were not in Arabia ? Or simply, what about people who had and still have absolutely nothing to do with the Quran? What communication ? Whose God ? The god of arabia ? maybe. The God of all people ? certainly NOT.

Salaam Cerberus,

10:47   And for every nation is a messenger; so when their messenger comes, the matter is decreed between them with justice, and they are not wronged.

It's not necessarily a book that came from Arabia 1400 years ago.

I believe the God described in the Qur'an is very fair in terms of giving guidance to humanity and judging in the hereafter.

Peace

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +39/-0
So you're saying that the God of the UNIVERSE communicates with humanity exclusively through a book that came from Arabia 1400 years ago? It's pretty tough thing to propose. What about those before that ? What about those who were not in Arabia ? Or simply, what about people who had and still have absolutely nothing to do with the Quran? What communication ? Whose God ? The god of arabia ? maybe. The God of all people ? certainly NOT.
I added a few more:
What about those who are blind or deaf since birth?
What about animals?

It's a common pattern that is easily observable that:
Some people try to 'narrow' God to their own limited view and understanding.

I now starting to understand why, the motives is try to make or more precisely claim "our God" and not 'their God'. God of exclusivity, driven by an ego, the need to feel 'superior' compared to others, the need to feel 'more right-eous' compared to other group.

Communicating doesn't require words or language.
Actually communicating through words of language is very limited, the limitation is on the language itself.
I'm now actually still in the early stage to grasp the reality of the above.

God is the source, the source of ALL. that's why there is only one God.
Animal plants the devil unbeliever atheist the jews the west whatever you named it...

He communicate to all with ease, and doesn't require any language, and there will be no-'mis communication'.
And to communicate to God also doesn't require any language or words.
More than that.. God knows what you will communicate to Him even long before you communicate to Him.
As time and space is part of His creation, and not a hindrance for Him.

And I don't believe in a 'judging' or 'blaming' God, it totally doesn't make sense at all.
Since God is basically everything, when He blame, He actually blame a part of Himself, blaming the occurrence of events which is totally 100% within His own control.

'When the Almighty pushes you to the forefront of the problem, trust Him completely, because two things can happen: either He will catch you when you fall, or He will teach you how to fly.'
~ Sai Baba

tlihawa

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Salaam Jafar,
yes it based on my own limited view and understanding based on what's was written in

96:4   The One who taught by the pen.
96:5   He taught the human being what he did not know.

I don't know about the animal, but for the blind people,

16:78   And God brought you out of the wombs of your mothers while you knew nothing. And He has made for you the hearing and the eyesight and the minds, perhaps you would be thankful.

17:106   And a Qur'an that We have divided, so that you may read it to the people over time; and We have brought it down gradually.

17:107   Say: "Believe in it or do not believe in it. Those who have been given the knowledge before it, when it is recited to them, they fall to their chins prostrating."

I don't have any answers for every questions, but all I can say God is fully aware,

17:84   Say: "Let each work according to his own. Your Lord is fully aware of who is best guided to the path."

Peace

hawk99

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace,

Allah has ways of communicating with us, through signs, inspiration,
guidance via Qur'an, wisdom, experience, reflection, furqan, dreams,
and yes Allah communicates with sources other than Quran Al Kareem.

:peace:
The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

jkhan

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +2/-0
Peace

If you think so, give some examples?

Merci

Peace…
I prefer if the question is ‘Is it possible for human to communicate with God ….’
Everything is possible for God… So no need to ask the possibilities of God … He does what He wills though..
Yes human is given the capacity to communicate with God… when we supplicate/dua God listens, God watches at us, God records, many a times God responds we rejoice.... we fail to thank.. and forget…
50:16 “We indeed created man; and We know what his soul whispers within him, and We are nearer to him than the jugular vein.”

If God knows what is in our hearts or what a soul whispers within himself, then our communication reaches to God at every time… If our communication reaches to God then it means we have passed our message to God..

But physical or rather tangible Talking/communication is only by three medium as you are aware..

42:51 “It belongs not to any mortal that God should speak to him, except by revelation, or from behind a veil, or that He should send a messenger and he reveal whatsoever He will, by His leave; surely He is All-high, All-wise.”

above three mediums are not limited only to Prophets/Messengers... it can be to any human except God revealed books which is only to prophets...

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
@Cerberus

So how does God communicate to anyone of any religion in your opinion? I mean literally- with words...

I feel God only literally talks to me through the Qur'an. If I get a dream about something and I think it's from God, then it's more of a sign or lesson...I think I mean't literal communication i.e. through words. Not meant sarcastically.

God is our teacher in life, that is a communication beyond words.

God has given us Reason so that we can tell right from wrong in ourselves and around us, and where does this reason come from ? do we generate it ? or does it have a source ? It could come from God...That aswell could be a constant communication that is often neglected and ignored.

I don't know about God communicating with words.

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +2/-0
Oh, if only God would give me some sign. If He would just speak to me once. Anything. One sentence. Two words. Or if He would just send me a message?
For now, the Qoran message will do.
GOD bless.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST

38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?

http://www.total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/website-pages/good-logic/

tlihawa

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
God is our teacher in life, that is a communication beyond words.

God has given us Reason so that we can tell right from wrong in ourselves and around us, and where does this reason come from ? do we generate it ? or does it have a source ? It could come from God...That aswell could be a constant communication that is often neglected and ignored.

I don't know about God communicating with words.

Salaam Cerberus,
I dont think that we can rely on self-assessment on right from wrong. Since there's no guarantee it's coming from God.

May you would like to consider these verses,

2:216   Warfare has been decreed for you while you hate it; and perhaps you may hate something while it is good for you, and perhaps you may love something while it is bad for you; and God knows while you do not know.

4:19   O you who believe, it is not permissible for you to inherit from the women by force. And do not make difficulty for them so that you may take away some of what you have given them, unless they commit a clear immorality. And live with them in kindness. If you dislike them, then perhaps you dislike something while God makes in it much good.

There are good and 'extreme' examples from Prophet Ibrahim and Prophet Musa, when Ibrahim was ordered to sacrifice his son. No one in this world who thinks that killing a child is something good, but the prophet Ibrahim chose to follow God's commands and ignored his personal judgment. Therefore he passed the test.

Another example from Prophet Musa when he met someone who had taught knowledge by God,

18:65   So they came upon a servant of Ours whom We had given him mercy from Us and We had taught him knowledge from Us.

18:66   Moses said to him: "Can I follow you so that you will teach me from the guidance you have been taught?"

18:67   He said: "You will not be able to have patience with me."

18:68   "And how can you be patient about that which you have not been given any news?"

18:69   He said: "You will find me, God willing, to be patient.
And I will not disobey any command of yours."

As we have seen, the Prophet Moses failed to be patient with the instructions given

18:74   So they ventured forth until they came upon a boy, and he killed him. He said: "Have you killed an innocent person without justice? You have done something awful!"

18:75   He said: "Did I not tell you that you will not be able to have patience with me?"

Reaction of the Musa was so natural, no one would justify killing an innocent person, But he failed to follow the instructions of someone who had been given knowledge by God.

This story is not to compare who is the best between Abraham and Moses. But to teach us that we cannot rely on our personal judgment . Now God didn't asked us to sacrifice our son,  but we must always stick to the instructions given by God through His books.

For example, my compassion for the poor is only limited to "money that I do not love" or small amount of money. But with God command, I have to give them at least 20% of my net monthly income after tax.

Sometimes personal judgment often seeks its own justification, therefore it cannot be relied on.

Peace

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
This whole thing you wrote seems like a "personal judgement" to me.

I'll give you my "personal judgement" on the things you brought and let's see which of these judgements is better. Now the criteria for "better" to me is more reasonable, unbiased and makes more sense. For you I guess "better" would be considered what is closer to what is "coming from God". But then whatever is coming from God is subject to personal interpretations that are based on the person's ability.

Moving on to what you put forth

2:216   Warfare has been decreed for you while you hate it; and perhaps you may hate something while it is good for you, and perhaps you may love something while it is bad for you; and God knows while you do not know.

4:19   O you who believe, it is not permissible for you to inherit from the women by force. And do not make difficulty for them so that you may take away some of what you have given them, unless they commit a clear immorality. And live with them in kindness. If you dislike them, then perhaps you dislike something while God makes in it much good.

These verses basically say the following: That pleasurable things are not necessarily good, and that painful things are not necessarily bad.
Something I find very reasonable and truthful.
Can you develop on this idea ? Would whatever development you make not be coming from God and therefore shouldn't be given any importance ?
The idea is that the number one bias of all people is that we are biased in favor of the things that brings us pleasure and biased against the things that brings us pain and suffering. While at the same time, certain things that are pleasurable to us are harming us in many ways and  and things that make us suffer are helping us in many ways to better ourselves. Conclusion ? Judging things as good or bad based on the feelings they give us is wrong.

Another example from Prophet Musa when he met someone who had taught knowledge by God,

[...]

This story is not to compare who is the best between Abraham and Moses. But to teach us that we cannot rely on our personal judgment . Now God didn't asked us to sacrifice our son,  but we must always stick to the instructions given by God through His books.

Again, that is how YOU view that story. The argument itself is out of context in my opinion, that story is clearly aimed at portraying Divine Providence, that things do not happen randomly and that God acts on better knowledge and understanding of things. Definitely not what you're proposing.

For example, my compassion for the poor is only limited to "money that I do not love" or small amount of money. But with God command, I have to give them at least 20% of my net monthly income after tax.

Okay consider these two verses:

(2:219) And they ask you what they should spend. Say, "The excess "
(3:92) You shall not attain righteousness until you spend out of what you love

It seems to say that the minimum to give is the left over, which is reasonable to give away since you don't need it, while the optimum is to reach a level where giving out hard and loved things becomes doable, a level of material detachment. A common concept...Why is it righteous to give out of what you love ? "God didn't say" ? ...

ade_cool

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
[42:51] And it is not for any mortal that God would speak to him, except through inspiration, or from behind a veil, or by sending a messenger  to inspire whom He wills with His permission. He is Most High,  Wise.

The above verse is guidance from Quran on God's communication to mortal like us.