Author Topic: Do believers suffer more than people who do not believe  (Read 1350 times)

Sarah

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Do believers suffer more than people who do not believe
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
Peace

As a Sunni I used to believe this because of hadith. I'm not sure if it's correct from Quranic perspective?
😃👀✋

Scribbler

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Do believers suffer more than people who do not believe
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:11:42 AM »
Salam,

According to the Quran, calamities will not fall exclusively on the unrighteous, but also the righteous:

8:25
And fear against a chastisement / trial which cannot afflict exclusively those of you who do wrong, and know that God is severe in punishment.
Turn to Allah before you turn to ashes.

Mohammed.

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 10:18:44 AM »
salaam Scribbler,

وَاتَّقُوا فِتْنَةً لَّاتُصِيبَنَّ الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا مِنكُمْ خَاصَّةً وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ 8:25

لَوْ كَانَ عَرَضًا قَرِيبًا وَسَفَرًا قَاصِدًا لَّاتَّبَعُوكَ وَلَٰكِن 9:42

In 9:42, the term لَّاتَّبَعُوكَ not giving opposite meaning i.e. لَّا is used for emphasis

Therefore my understanding of the verse 8:25:
"And fear (and avoid a) test/torture (that) strikes/hits especially/specifically those who caused injustice/oppression from you, and know that God (is) strong (severe in) the punishment."

The Qur’an says:
And what struck/hit you from a disaster so (it is) because (of) what your hands gathered/acquired, and He forgives/pardons on much [42:30]. Also 30:36, 30:41, 4:79, 5:49 etc.
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

nimnimak_11

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
Believers get tested. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll suffer. If you are reverent of God, it's hard to suffer. It's hard to suffer because you truly believe Existence/God to be perfect so you truly believe that you and everyone else (including your family) will only get what they deserve 100%. If things look bad, you know it's only the appearance of things, or you know it's because you deserve it. It won't get to you.

You'll be tested with some "fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient" 2:155

Sarah

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
Peace

thank you for the answers people
😃👀✋

Jafar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +111/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:08 PM »
The root of suffering is attachment.

Attachment to what you want, to what you don't want, to your social identities, to the image of yourselves, to your body, to anything else that your persona / ego has attached / identify itself to.

The attitude of acceptance (arabic: islam without the capital i) can help to lift / release from all of your attachments.

That's the lessons that you will learn along as you progress through your current lifetime.

Until the time has come for you to say goodbye to anything that you've attached yourself to, including the persona that you see in the mirror.

As such, the perception of sufferings has no correlation with social identity / religion but more of correlation with one character and attitude.

A disciple asked, “Master, is it okay for a monks to use emails?”
“Yes, son,” the guru quipped, “as long as there are no attachments.”

-- 101 Monk Jokes