Author Topic: What exactly does living for the sake of God mean  (Read 286 times)

Sarah

• Apprentice
What exactly does living for the sake of God mean
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
Peace

So when we say we want to live for the sake of God, earning his pleasure, does it simply mean to satisfy God? Does God actually FEEL  happiness when we do a good deed for Him? Can we do anything good to 'impress' God? Is trying to 'impress' God the same thing?

I know to impress and to please have different meanings but what about islamically speaking?
😃👀✋

jkhan

• Truth Seeker
Re: What exactly does living for the sake of God mean
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
Peace

So when we say we want to live for the sake of God, earning his pleasure, does it simply mean to satisfy God? Does God actually FEEL  happiness when we do a good deed for Him? Can we do anything good to 'impress' God? Is trying to 'impress' God the same thing?

I know to impress and to please have different meanings but what about islamically speaking?

Peace Sarah. .
Is your subject a verse from QURAN? If not just follow Quran for salvation of your own....
God doesn't need of us...But he provides us.... But when we obey and thank Him for what He has provided in our own interests , He is not the one neglecting us.. Rewards are waiting...
Though God doesn't in need of us, He is ever watching us not coz He needs us but to reward and punish, He has taken His responsibility .. Coz all His what we indulge in....

SarahY

• Global Moderator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 03:23:56 AM »
I guess it’s how people personify God. As far as I am aware, God is beyond our thoughts and feelings.

112:4 (Asad) "and there is nothing that could be compared with Him.

Asads notes:
Cf. note 2 on 89:3, as well as surah 19, note 77. The fact that God is one and unique in every respect, without beginning and without end, has its logical correlate in the statement that "there is nothing that could be compared with Him" - thus precluding any possibility of describing or defining Him (see note 88 on the last sentence of 6:100). Consequently, the quality of His Being is beyond the range of human comprehension or imagination: which also explains why any attempt at "depicting" God by means of figurative representations or even abstract symbols must be qualified as a blasphemous denial of the truth.(Quran Ref: 112:2 )

Doing acts for the sake of God is just another way of saying I’m sacrificing my desire/choice to obey God’s commands (or rather my understanding of God’s command). When you read the Quran the good deeds are for you, your family and your community. It’s for the betterment of you and society and likewise when you do bad, it’s a detriment for you and society. 

When people talk about pleasing God, it’s more about following God’s commands and seeing themselves as righteous or closer to God or closer to their reward.

Salams
We all have blind spots.
Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
ambiguity is there for a reason, why do you think?
We're all different, so how can we all be equal?

Cerberus

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
The TRUE good deeds we do are for ourselves. It is supposed to change us for a better state of being and bring us closer to who we are supposed to be.

Example:

To give out of something because you have excess of is one thing.

To give out of something because circumstances  (out of pity, people looking, ...) made you do it is another thing.

But to give out of something that you hold dear, that you love and is attached to... to give out of that intentionally, knowingly,  is to be exercising detachment. And exercising selflessness. What else could that be ? craziness ? maybe. But it is something one will do consciously because it's a hard thing to do and it is hard because it is not desirable. No one gives out of what they desire. The desire itself will prevent you from doing that. Therefore anyone who does that must have exercised something beyond that desire. They exercised their own will.

jkhan

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
The TRUE good deeds we do are for ourselves. It is supposed to change us for a better state of being and bring us closer to who we are supposed to be.

Example:

To give out of something because you have excess of is one thing.

To give out of something because circumstances  (out of pity, people looking, ...) made you do it is another thing.

But to give out of something that you hold dear, that you love and is attached to... to give out of that intentionally, knowingly,  is to be exercising detachment. And exercising selflessness. What else could that be ? craziness ? maybe. But it is something one will do consciously because it's a hard thing to do and it is hard because it is not desirable. No one gives out of what they desire. The desire itself will prevent you from doing that. Therefore anyone who does that must have exercised something beyond that desire. They exercised their own will.

Meaningful what you say in my perception to certain extent....

What if we sum up this way....
If we sit for an exam, we do it for our own self,  but we have a purpose for why we sit for the exam.... We don't sit exam for nothing... First intention is get through.. And by getting through we expect something better than those who failed... At least we have one reason why we sat for. 
In that angle compare our life for exam... Our life is our own goal... When we eat we eat for hunger and to survive and for nutrition, strength..etc. We don't eat for God... But if we are believers... We add one thing to what we consume... We tempt to eat what is good and allowed... So we follow a condition eating ...
Same way in exam.. If you answer to a question it should be meaningful and under the accepted answers to get due respect or mark.. Otherwise how well your answer is written won't get the mark coz you opted wrong answer.. So you have not obeyed what is taught.. etc.
Thus.  We sit for the exam for our own sake first to pass, then anticipate long term benifit out of it...
Samway... We live our life for us... We are compelled to abide by certain set of rules(including God's law) if in case our intent is benefit after the life...

Otherwise You won't get what you expect... We don't live for the sake of God.. It's so uppish... We live for our own sake...
Why there will be a judgement day,  coz we lived our life for own sake with own decisions by accepting or rejecting God..

Rahma

• Beginner/Inquirer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 07:30:35 AM »
Good question!

I often wonder the difference between doing good for goodness' sake and doing good for a good afterlife. Which one is done for God? You'd often find non-believers/atheists questioning the intention of religious folks. How good is an action that is constantly attached to an outcome of gain for your ownself. What level of growth does a person receive?

That said, I am in no way judging those whose good works are attached to an outcome of afterlife. Each person has levels of faith and willpower. Some maybe motivated by heaven and that maybe good enough for them.

But, of course, I am also concerned about doing good for goodness' sake and getting to the end and finding no comfortable place, for that is not what you worked towards  :'( #existentialworries

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »
Basically concentrate on your own character and live for both your well being and the wellbeing of all the other creatures.

GOD stands for all that is "good". Ibada is following /mirroring/….the good . That is living for the sake of GOD.
Qoran calls it "Sirat Al Mustaqeem".
So, try your best to be the following:
Just, peaceful, non aggressive, tolerant ,forgiving, fair, "love GOD and love thy neighbour", sincere and approachable...etc.

A character with good morals and the love of GOD and His creatures would be living for the sake of GOD.

Both easy to see and difficult to do. Try your best anyway if you can.
GOD bless .
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST

38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?

http://www.total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/website-pages/good-logic/