Previous topic - Next topic

Mohammed.

Quote from: hawk99 on June 06, 2019, 10:22:13 AM
[6:121] And do not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has not
been mentioned,

It says mention Allah's name before you eat, negating that the
eater has to be the slaughterer.

salaam,

How did you reach that conclusion? If it [remembering God's name] is for (just) before eating, it would be like "Eat in the name of your Lord" imho,

See 96:1
"Read in the name of your Lord"

I understand 6:118,119 & 121 in such a way that 'remembering God's name' should happen/happening somewhere (far) before eating.

6:118 "So eat from what God's name was remembered on it"/ "So eat from that on which the name of God has been remembered"
Note the Arabic mimmā

And while/for eating, there are some verse/s which mentions 'thanking God' (e.g. 16:114).
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Amra94

Quote from: Mohammed. on June 06, 2019, 12:50:42 AM
peace Amra94,

You can't do slaughter for fish like in animals/birds. If you slaughter fish, then it would be almost like cutting its belly or splitting many internal organs like heart, liver, stomach, gills etc. together ! which is more cruel than taking the fish out of water!
I think it's still less painful than suffocating.

Amra94

Peace Amra94, suffocating and strangling are not the same.
Since strangling livestock is forbidden does that mean suffocating them some other way is allowed?

been mentioned,

It says mention Allah's name before you eat, negating that the
eater has to be the slaughterer.

[16:14] And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender
meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the
ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek
of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful.

Anyway how would you slaughter shrimp   :eat:

:peace:
been mentioned,

How is that saying BEFORE YOU EAT?

And shrimp aren't fish but idk I've never had shrimp, they're bottom feeders. I personally don't consider them to be "good" things to eat.

The Faiz

Peace,

I think an important question is are fish/sea food good or pure to eat?

I used to eat fish, shrimp, etc. but I ceased eating shrimp after contemplating it some more.
I echoe Amra's sentiments that they are bottom feeders and essentially sea bugs.

However, I have not been eating fish either lately, considering how common parasites are within them.

In the US, our food and drug administration pays mention to the fact that a large percentage of fish will be carrying parasites and that's why they recommend high temperature cooking and being careful.
This in my opinion misses the point that whether or not you kill a worm with heat doesn't mean you still aren't ingesting a dead worm. How can that be something pure to eat?

Just food for thought.

Peace
Faiz

hawk99

Quote from: Mohammed. on June 06, 2019, 11:42:07 AM
salaam,

How did you reach that conclusion? If it [remembering God's name] is for (just) before eating, it would be like "Eat in the name of your Lord" imho,

I accept your opinion for your own understanding, however if
you would notice there is no word "slaughter" in the ayat.

Quote from: Mohammed. on June 06, 2019, 11:42:07 AM
salaam,
I understand 6:118,119 & 121 in such a way that 'remembering God's name' should happen/happening somewhere (far) before eating.

True, we should always be mindful of our lord at all times, submission
to our sustainer is the goal while walking, sitting, sleeping, and at all
other times.

Quote from: Amra94. on June 06, 2019, 11:42:07 AM

6:118 "So eat from what God's name was remembered on it"/ "So eat from that on which the name of God has been remembered"
Note the Arabic mimmā

And why should you not eat of that upon which the name of Allah has been
mentioned while He has explained in detail to you what He has forbidden
you, excepting that to which you are compelled. And indeed do many lead
[others] astray through their [own] inclinations without knowledge. Indeed,
your Lord - He is most knowing of the transgressors.

:peace:

Quote from: Amra94 on June 06, 2019, 01:43:22 PM
Since strangling livestock is forbidden does that mean suffocating them some other way is allowed?

Peace Amra94, no we are not to strangle or suffocate the livestock.   :nope:

been mentioned,

Yeah don't eat something without mentioning Allah.

And shrimp aren't fish but idk I've never had shrimp, they're bottom feeders. I personally don't consider them to be "good" things to eat.

Your personal diet is okay.

[6:145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything
forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or
blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that
which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been
invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor
exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

@ Amra94 and Mohammed do you remember Allah before eating
fruits, vegetables, snacks, when there is no meat involved?

The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Amra94

Quote from: hawk99 on June 06, 2019, 04:15:57 PM
Peace Amra94, no we are not to strangle or suffocate the livestock.   :nope:
Peace, why not suffocate the livestock if you say strangling and suffocating are different?

Yeah don't eat something without mentioning Allah.

Your personal diet is okay.

[6:145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything
forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or
blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that
which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been
invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor
exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

You don't only mention God's name before eating meat or anything, God's name should be mentioned over the animals before slaughter.

22:36 And the camels and cattle We have appointed for you as among the symbols of God; for you therein is good. So mention the name of God upon them when lined up [for sacrifice]; and when they are [lifeless] on their sides, then eat from them and feed the needy and the beggar. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may be grateful.

Amra94

Quote from: The Faiz on June 06, 2019, 03:44:40 PM
Peace,

I think an important question is are fish/sea food good or pure to eat?

I used to eat fish, shrimp, etc. but I ceased eating shrimp after contemplating it some more.
I echoe Amra's sentiments that they are bottom feeders and essentially sea bugs.

However, I have not been eating fish either lately, considering how common parasites are within them.

In the US, our food and drug administration pays mention to the fact that a large percentage of fish will be carrying parasites and that's why they recommend high temperature cooking and being careful.
This in my opinion misses the point that whether or not you kill a worm with heat doesn't mean you still aren't ingesting a dead worm. How can that be something pure to eat?

Just food for thought.

Peace
Faiz
Peace, I haven't had fish in a while either. Rather get my omega 3's from chia seeds and walnuts :D We can't say all seafood is impure though because it is lawful 16:14 And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful.

Mohammed.

I accept your opinion for your own understanding, however if
you would notice there is no word "slaughter" in the ayat.
So, don't you care the way in which animal being slaughtered? Whatever is the way slaughtered, just considering only the meat?

Here is my understanding of the verses 6:118,119 & 121
Quote from: Mohammed. on April 25, 2019, 01:25:07 AM
The verses 6:118,119 &121 does not mention slaughtering specifically, so

'on which God's name has been remembered' may also mean Fair Treatment throughout farming as well as during slaughtering. [God's name-The Merciful, so 'remembering Gods name' may refer to kind treatment to animals?]
i.e. remembering God and His mercy on us and doing the processes accordingly.

True, we should always be mindful of our lord at all times, submission
to our sustainer is the goal while walking, sitting, sleeping, and at all
other times.
You say we should always be mindful of our Lord at all times, then, we should always be care about the way our Lord's creations are treated. right?

39:18
"The ones who listen to what is being said, and then follow the best of it. These are the ones whom God has guided, and these are the ones who possess intelligence."

So which is better/best?
1.Considering remembering God's name (The Merciful) while slaughter
2.Considering remembering God's name (The Merciful) during farming as well as while slaughter
3.Not considering remembering God's name (The Merciful) while slaughter

I remember The Creator not only before eating but also while eating any food (if my mind isn't distracted)
I remember and wonder about Allah the way He designed/engineered the food for us which I am eating, for example if it's an apple-its unique taste, texture, shape, colour, the way it grown etc. I enjoy it. And I thank my Lord for giving me an opportunity to experience this wonderful world. I was nothing worth mentioning before I came into existence.
And sometimes I wonder/remember the way He designed/engineered my mouth, tongue, teeth etc. the mechanism of chewing, digestion absorption and the mechanism of growth etc.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Mohammed.

Quote from: The Faiz on June 06, 2019, 03:44:40 PM

peace,

I think no need to care about parasites which are not identifiable with naked eye.
Even treated drinking water may contain dead microbes in it.

Cerberus

slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail slaughter  :hail

The fact that it is mentioned in the quran, is it because it's the holiest, most pious,virtuous, god-observing way of killing an animal or is it because it was the most appropriate way of killing an animal at that time ?

We've been given the tools to figure out the right way to do things, and if we didn't then how could we possibly discriminate between what is right or wrong ?

It's been over a thousand years now, the human mind wasn't in stagnation all this time and we're certainly not living today to mindlessly replicate how people did things at one point in history.