News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Which version of Quran do you use for your study?

Started by Birdy, September 26, 2014, 03:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arman

Quote from: SAbboushi on October 18, 2014, 07:29:41 PM
Hi Birdy-

I have been using the Hafs version mainly because I believe it is the most popular among the Arabs (whereas I believe Warsh is more popular in North Africa).
But from what I have read, both versions seem to have "issues".

I have the 14 different versions of the Quran (different Riwayat) and I plan to examine the differences at some point in the future.

What version are you using?

Salam SAbboushi.

This is a very interesting resource indeed. Would you please tell us where these various versions are available? Is there any online resource that gives the full comparison at least between hafs and wars? I have only seen a few "sample" differences and they seemed to be no brainers.

May Allah guide us all to the straight route.

Regards,
Arman
Indeed I have faced my face to the One who farmed the heavens and the earth in precision; and I do not happen to be among the ones associating partners (with Him).

SAbboushi

And Salam to you Arman-

I got 14 pdf files from someone who says they came from http://audio.islamweb.net/audio/index.php?page=rewayat&rewaya=1 and I believe the differences have been highlighted in different colors:

Riwayat-Basra-Abu-Amr-al-Duri.pdf
Riwayat-Basra-Abu-Amr-al-Susi.pdf
Riwayat-Damascus-Hisham.pdf
Riwayat-Damascus-Ibn Dhakwan.pdf
Riwayat-Kufa-al-Kisai-Abu'l-Harith.pdf
Riwayat-Kufa-al-Kisai-al-Duri.pdf
Riwayat-Kufa-Asim-Hafs.pdf
Riwayat-Kufa-Asim-Shuba Ibn Ayaash.pdf
Riwayat-Kufa-Hamza-Khalaf.pdf
Riwayat-Kufa-Hamza-Khallad.pdf
Riwayat-Madinah-Qalun.pdf
Riwayat-Madinah-Warsh.pdf
Riwayat-Makkah-al-Bazzi.pdf
Riwayat-Makkah-Qunbul.pdf

The site is in Arabic and I couldn't find the files myself.  If you don't read Arabic and can't find the files there, let me know and I'll find a way to get them to you God Willing (if you want them).

I sent an email to the site asking if I could get the 14 riwayat in a data format but never heard back.

Peace-
Sam

Birdy

Peace  :sun:

thank you for the participation on this topic and the responses.
I use Hafs reading style - Riwayat.
So I was studying a few different I've found on the net but my Arabic is weak.
Thank you SAbboushi for the link, I will visit the site so God will.

I've stated this topic when I recognize that there are more than one reading style. I got to know there are grammatical/spelling differences. Based on disciplines in the linguistic the meaning of the words does change the sense of the verse/s. So with it it changes also the context so the text comprehension. Further, the meaning of the words have changed with the time, like usually in any other language.
I think, in virtue of the existing differences comes to confusions by translation from Arabic Quran (e.g. in Hafs) to other language/s.
It is possible that the different exegesis of Quran are as well the product of the coherent facts mentioned above.

Finally, for me the main message of Quran is preserved but it would be beneficial for the readers' comprehension when the reading-text is grammatical correct.

You are very welcome to give  your opinions and professional expertise regarding this issue here. Thanks in advance!

God bless you all.

SAbboushi

May peace be with you Birdie-

I believe I am in agreement with your position, particularly

Quote from: Birdy on October 20, 2014, 05:35:54 AM
I got to know there are grammatical/spelling differences. Based on disciplines in the linguistic the meaning of the words does change the sense of the verse/s. So with it it changes also the context so the text comprehension. Further, the meaning of the words have changed with the time, like usually in any other language.
I think, in virtue of the existing differences comes to confusions by translation from Arabic Quran (e.g. in Hafs) to other language/s.

I also find translations to be biased (maybe sometimes intentionally, other times not) towards the beliefs / desires of the translators, which I believe is difficult to see for us non-Arab speaking followers of Quran unless the translation is word by word where it is now more difficult to embed one's biases.

With Regards-
Sam