News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Didn't the writer of the quran know...........?

Started by 357, May 29, 2012, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didn't the writer of the quran know that there where days as long as six months on the earth earth

The writer new but the people who mistranslated didn't know.
13 (92.9%)
The writer didn't know!
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

dawngorgeous

It was quite difficult to fast in the North of England and Scotland last year.  There was almost no time to sleep and let your last meal of the day get digested before it was time to get up and eat and start the fast again.

Peace.

Mr.Q

2:184,185

If it happens that it is too difficult or not feasible, then you may substitute feeding the poor instead. God is Merciful.

Quote from: dawngorgeous on May 29, 2012, 01:45:59 PM
It was quite difficult to fast in the North of England and Scotland last year.  There was almost no time to sleep and let your last meal of the day get digested before it was time to get up and eat and start the fast again.

Peace.

Dawn it is getting better still......

Quote from: Mr.Q on May 29, 2012, 02:50:25 PM
2:184,185

If it happens that it is too difficult or not feasible, then you may substitute feeding the poor instead. God is Merciful.

Hi Q,

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=2&verse=184

I think it is the sick and those on a journey! who are exempted according to word for word translation.

farida

Only the creator of this world could exempt those who have not witnessed the month. (meaning the crescent cycle made up of days and nights) That is why only those who witness the month are supposed to fast, but the moonsighting commitee is putting it as a "Special Case" so it's they who failed to understand the Qur'an.
Salaam

Mr.Q

Quote from: 357 on May 29, 2012, 04:02:25 PM
Dawn it is getting better still......

Hi Q,

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=2&verse=184

I think it is the sick and those on a journey! who are exempted according to word for word translation.

Interesting. What is the meaning for the root ṭā wāw qāf ? Project Root List doesn't have it.

Yusuf Ali
(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew.
Pickthal
(Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need - but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know -
Shakir
For a certain number of days; but whoever among you is sick or on a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days; and those who are not able to do it may effect a redemption by feeding a poor man; so whoever does good spontaneously it is better for him; and that you fast is better for you if you know.
Sher Ali
The prescribed fasting is for a fixed number of days, but whoso among you is sick or on a journey, shall fast the same number of other days; and for those who are able to fast only with great difficulty, is an expiation - the feeding of a poor man. And whoso does good of his own accord it is better for him. And fasting is good for you, if you only knew.
"Progressive Muslims"
A limited number of days. Whoever of you is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days; and as for those who can do so but with difficulty, they may redeem by feeding the needy. And whoever does good voluntarily, then it is better for him. And if you fast it is better for you if you knew.

Mr.Q

Quote from: 357 on May 29, 2012, 05:48:12 PM
Which aya Q,

ṭā wāw qāf ?

From 2:184  Its the word yuṭīqūnahu that is translated differently. Corpus have the root as ṭā wāw qāf but  I can't find it on Root List.

Quote from: Mr.Q on May 29, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
From 2:184  Its the word yuṭīqūnahu that is translated differently. Corpus have the root as ṭā wāw qāf but  I can't find it on Root List.

.....who find it imposed on them as a thing difficult,troublesome,inconvenient.

http://www.tyndalearchive.com/TABS/Lane/

The quistion was concerning the command to fast from dawn to sunset. It is a command to do with dawn and sunset, and in some countries the dawn and sunset doesn't happen for maybe up to six months!

So is it mistranslation or didn't the writer know about the dawn and sunset, or doesn't the ramadhan fasting apply in that scenario.

Mr.Q

I am not sure if the Prophet knew of places in the extreme north and south latitudes that have sometimes 20+ hours of daylight. Why would he? I don't the translation is wrong at all and that fasting is decreed for those that are able.

That's why I think it is accurate in the understanding that if fasting is just not feasible, as above, or not doable because of say a medical condition, then you may substitute feeding the poor in place of fasting. IMO