Critical Examination of Islam > What is the nature of God?

Saying that God is only one in number is ignorant, is it?

(1/3) > >>

MSW:
Shlom 'laikhem :group:

I wasn't replied to my previous post on a similiar topic and I just wanted to present forth and idea that struck me a few weeks ago. The idea is: Saying that God is one is ignorant; God cannot be encompassed by rules of mathematics. He is not 1 but the 1! My number 1! I know the idea is peculiar because we would need to find a new definition of shirk if that were true :) ,but I would just like to hear your opinion about this thought.

Shalom, Salam, Shlom, Peace, Pokój!

amuslim:
Peace,

I think conjuring any idea of God is borderline shirk if it isn't already.  For example, from what I hear from some Wahabbi's they believe that God has a face, hands, body, etc.  They believe that when people get to Jannah, they will be able to see God's Face.

As far as the number 1 is concerned, God refers to Himself in the Old Testament as well as in the Qur'an as a cardinal one.  In otherwords, it is completely 1, no 3 in 1, etc.  The meaning doesn't get translated when done into English (not sure about other languages).  Knowing this, one can battle the mushriks that claim that Jesus is God.  This is why God doesn't use the number 1 in the Arabic Qur'an but the cardinal 1 "ahad".  Similarly in Hebrew, Deuteronomy 6:4 when it is said "Hear O Israel, the Lord your God is One", it uses "ehad".  This is why Jews laugh at Christians.

I am not an expert in Arabic so if anyone sees any faults, feel free to correct me.

Peace

Kaiokenred:

--- Quote from: amuslim on January 01, 2012, 03:39:13 pm ---Peace,

I think conjuring any idea of God is borderline shirk if it isn't already.  For example, from what I hear from some Wahabbi's they believe that God has a face, hands, body, etc.  They believe that when people get to Jannah, they will be able to see God's Face.

As far as the number 1 is concerned, God refers to Himself in the Old Testament as well as in the Qur'an as a cardinal one.  In otherwords, it is completely 1, no 3 in 1, etc.  The meaning doesn't get translated when done into English (not sure about other languages).  Knowing this, one can battle the mushriks that claim that Jesus is God.  This is why God doesn't use the number 1 in the Arabic Qur'an but the cardinal 1 "ahad".  Similarly in Hebrew, Deuteronomy 6:4 when it is said "Hear O Israel, the Lord your God is One", it uses "ehad".  This is why Jews laugh at Christians.

I am not an expert in Arabic so if anyone sees any faults, feel free to correct me.

Peace

--- End quote ---

I have an unicorn at my room, if I look at it's eyes just once I have a guaranteed ticket to Jannah because Unicorn is All-ll-ll-ll-ll-ah's sacred animal.

Abdul-Hadi:
Greetings and Peace, all  :group:

3:7 He is the One who sent down to you the Book, from which there are firm revelations; they are the essence of the Book; and others which are similar. As for those who have a disease in their hearts, they will follow what is similar from it seeking to confuse, and seeking to derive an interpretation. But none know its interpretation except GOD, and those who are well founded in knowledge; they say: "We believe in it, all is from our Lord." And none will remember except those who possess intelligence.

6:19 Say: "Which is the greatest testimony?" Say: "GOD is witness between me and you, and He has inspired to me this Qur'an that I may warn you with it and whoever it reaches, that you are bearing witness that with GOD are other gods!" Say: "I do not bear witness!" Say: "He is only One god, and I am innocent of what you have set up!"

Here is a part of a scholarly article that shows the meaning of the word one (echad in Hebrew) in the Bible; source follows.

According to numerous popular websites and even a number of textbooks, the combination “one bunch,” we are invited to think, shows that “one” means more than one, so-called “compound one” or “composite one.” The mistake is quite obvious. One bunch is still in Hebrew and English one bunch and not two or more bunches! It is nonsense to suppose that the word “one” has altered its meaning when it modifies a compound noun. It is the noun which is compound and gives us the sense of plurality. The word “one” is fixed and unchanged in meaning in both “one pencil” and “one bunch.” The numerical adjective, “one,” retains its meaning always as “one single.” When Adam and Eve are “one flesh,” they are not two or more “fleshes”! One still means one. The combining of Adam and Eve as “one flesh” has not altered the meaning of “one” (echad).

How would the proponents of one as “compound one” explain Nehemiah 11:1: “one [echad] out of ten”? Or Ezra 10:13: “one [echad] day or two”? “Two are better than one [echad]” (Ecc. 4:9). “If two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one alone [echad] keep warm?” (Ecc. 4:11). “Where a lone [echad] man may be overcome, two together may resist” (Ecc. 4:12). The rest of the 970 appearances of echad might be cited to make exactly the same point.

http://www.21stcr.org/multimedia-2011/1-pdf/ab-echad.pdf

ALLAH knows best.

:peace:

~Abdul-Hadi

Student of Allah:

--- Quote from: MSW on January 01, 2012, 03:25:41 pm ---Shlom 'laikhem :group:

I wasn't replied to my previous post on a similiar topic and I just wanted to present forth and idea that struck me a few weeks ago. The idea is: Saying that God is one is ignorant; God cannot be encompassed by rules of mathematics. He is not 1 but the 1! My number 1! I know the idea is peculiar because we would need to find a new definition of shirk if that were true :) ,but I would just like to hear your opinion about this thought.

Shalom, Salam, Shlom, Peace, Pokój!

--- End quote ---

Shalom Aleikhom,

You are ok to assume that unless God Himself says anything about it. You are free to assume that God is beyond our language, He cant be called The Merciful, unless if He Himself says he is The Merciful. Once you hear Him say that, there is no place for debate. Unless ofcourse if there is something that is haunting you , may be ? We can only know as much as He reveals to us.

Abdul-Hadi's post is great, gave a lot at it :)

Peace
------------- Student of Allah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version