News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Does 17:26 refer to overspending on charity?and how is it the devils trait?

Started by Aryan Warrior, April 19, 2012, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aryan Warrior

So I have read many posts in regards to 17:26-29 which are:

(17:26) And give the relative his due, and the poor, and the wayfarer; and do not waste excessively.
(17:27) Those who waste excessively are brothers to the devils, and the devil was to his Lord a rejecter.
(17:28) And if you turn away from them to seek a mercy from your Lord which you desire, then say to them a gentle saying.
(17:29)  And do not make your hand stingy by holding it to your neck, nor shall you lay it fully open so you become in despair and regret.

As i've read many posts here, they have stated that "waste excessively" refers to overspending on the people previously mentioned in that verse. Follow that verse it states that those who do it are brothers of the devil.

Now I got 3 questions:

1)As I saw the words that make "waste excessively", I saw the two arabic words that made it up were tubadhir which stated that it meant spend and the other was tabdhīran which meant wastefully. Thus comes out to Spend Wastefully.  Does Waste Excessively translate more to spend wastefully? or spend excessively?

2) Does "waste excessively" indeed refer only to those people mention? If it does mean "spend wastefully" instead of "spend excessively" how is it wasteful to spend to overspend on them?

3)In regards to 17:27 now. If it does mean overspending on charity, how does it make one like the brother of the devil?

Lachini

Dear Aryan Warrior

This issue has been explained in the verse 29 of the same chapter:

وَ لا تَجْعَلْ يَدَكَ مَغْلُولَةً إِلى‏ عُنُقِكَ وَ لا تَبْسُطْها كُلَّ الْبَسْطِ فَتَقْعُدَ مَلُوماً مَحْسُوراً  : Do not be stingy nor over generous lest you become empty handed and bankrupt. ( 29 )

Therefore one must take a moderate approach even in charity. The prophet condemned a man who gave away all his wealth in charity while he had  six sons.

youssef4342

Quote from: Aryan Warrior on April 19, 2012, 09:58:40 PM
So I have read many posts in regards to 17:26-29 which are:

(17:26) And give the relative his due, and the poor, and the wayfarer; and do not waste excessively.
(17:27) Those who waste excessively are brothers to the devils, and the devil was to his Lord a rejecter.
(17:28) And if you turn away from them to seek a mercy from your Lord which you desire, then say to them a gentle saying.
(17:29)  And do not make your hand stingy by holding it to your neck, nor shall you lay it fully open so you become in despair and regret.

As i've read many posts here, they have stated that "waste excessively" refers to overspending on the people previously mentioned in that verse. Follow that verse it states that those who do it are brothers of the devil.

Now I got 3 questions:

1)As I saw the words that make "waste excessively", I saw the two arabic words that made it up were tubadhir which stated that it meant spend and the other was tabdhīran which meant wastefully. Thus comes out to Spend Wastefully.  Does Waste Excessively translate more to spend wastefully? or spend excessively?

2) Does "waste excessively" indeed refer only to those people mention? If it does mean "spend wastefully" instead of "spend excessively" how is it wasteful to spend to overspend on them?

3)In regards to 17:27 now. If it does mean overspending on charity, how does it make one like the brother of the devil?

1) I would think that it means spend excessively, and thus wasting your possession
2) God Almighty purposely gave some people more than others, we should not try to "equalize" that and give all our money away. (16:71, 30:28)
3) I would think that the meaning of it would come out to as brother = like of.... thus wasting your possessions away is like the devil who is unappreciative as per 17:27

Facebook Group
[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/[/url]

"Fear not those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear the one who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)