Author Topic: Do the FRUITS mentioned in the Quran GROW in Makkah or immediate regions?  (Read 12450 times)

WayFinder

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace,

We all know that the Quran was mainly directed to the arab audience of Muhammad [pbuh], therefore most of the examples cited in the Quran should have been perceivable/observable by the audience... For example, if a particular fruit is mentioned, the people should not be looking at one another thinking what kind of fruit it is.. but they should already have the knowledge and awareness regarding the fruit in question.  Since it is believed that Muhammad[pbuh] lived in Makkah, then switched to Medina, then back to Makkah....  It is safe to assume that the fruits mentioned in Quran must grow well in these 2 regions...

Here is the list of fruits mentioned in The Quran:

1. Grapes
2. Dates
3. Pomegranate
4. Fig
5. Olive

Can anyone of you confirm that all these fruits are grown in Makkah?  Or can shed more information regarding the issue...

Thank you
3:7 He it is Who has revealed the Book to you; some of its verses are decisive, they are the basis of the Book, and others are allegorical; then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity they follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation but none knows its interpretation except Allah, and those who are firmly rooted in knowledge say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord; and none do mind except those having understanding.

hafeez kazi

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Do the FRUITS mentioned in the Quran GROW in Makkah or immediate regions?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »
peace wayfinder

THE FRUITS OF MECCA

They say: "We shall not believe in thee until thou cause spring to gush forth for us from the earth "Or you have a garden of date-palms and grapes, and cause rivers to gush forth in their midst abundantly; 17:90/91

With it He causes to grow for you the crops, the olives, the date-palms, the grapes, and every kind of fruit. Verily! In this is indeed an evident proof and a manifest sign for people who give thought. 16:11

And a sign for them is the dead land. We gave it life, and We brought forth from it grains, so that they eat thereof. And We have placed therein gardens of the date palm and grapes, and We have caused springs of water to gush forth therein 36:33/34

All the fruits and crops named above in the verses were not grown in Mecca except the dates.

It is He Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and with it We bring forth vegetation of all kinds, and out of it We bring forth green stalks, from which We bring forth thick clustered grain. And out of the date?palm and its spathe come forth clusters of dates hanging low and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). Look (UNZ.URO) at their fruits when they begin to bear, and its ripeness thereof. Verily! In these things there are signs for people who believe. 6:99 (Mecca)

See you not, that Allah sends down water (rain) from the sky, and causes it to penetrate the earth, (and then makes it to spring up) as water-springs and afterward thereby produces crops of different colours, and afterward they wither and you see (TARAA) them turn yellow, then He makes them dry and broken pieces. Verily, in this, is a Reminder for men of understanding. 39:21 (Mecca)

The said fruits and crops were not grown in Mecca, therefore to look or see the fruits when they begin to bear and ripe and the crops turn yellow, the prophet must visit the far neighbouring country Jordan. Did prophet ever visit Jordan to confirm the truthfulness of the verse? Why did Allah ask the prophet to see or look at the things, which was practically impossible for him? If we replace Mecca with other city, which grows these fruits, then it will fit in the verse like hands in the gloves.

WA- HUWA 'ALLADHE ANSHA'A JANNAAT MAcROSHAAT WA- GHAYR MAcROSHAAT WA- AN- NAKHL WA- AZ- ZARc MUKHTALIF (AN) 'UKUL -HU WA- AZ- ZAYTON WA- AR- RUMMAAN MUTASHAABIH (AN) WA- GHAYR MUTASHAABIH KULO MIN THAMARAH 'IDHAA ATHMARA WA- 'AATO H.AQQ -HU YAWM H.AS.AAD -HI WA- LAA TUSRIFO 'INNA -HU LAA YUH.IBB AL- MUSRIFEN 6:141 (Mecca)

And it is He Who produces gardens trellised and untrellised, and date palms, and crops of different shape and taste (its fruits and its seeds) and olives, and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in taste). Eat of their fruit when they ripen, and pay the due thereof (its Zakat, according to Allah's Orders 1/10th or 1/20th) on the day of its harvest, and waste not by extravagance. Verily, He likes not Al-Musrifun (those who waste by extravagance), 6:141 (Mecca)

How could the people of Mecca pay the rights of the poor from the harvest of the fruits when they ripe and crops of what they never harvested unless they are the people of that city where these fruits are grown. It is like asking people of Finland to pay taxes on mangoes grown in their garden. Remember Saudi Arabia was not the place where grapes, olives and pomegranates were grown. Even a layman would never ask such things, then how could Allah ask the Meccans to pay the dues on the fruits and vegetables, which they don?t grow? Does not Allah know that the Meccans have only date palms and should have asked to pay the dues on the day of harvest of dates when they ripe? How did those who believed paid the dues of the poor when in fact they grew nothing of such fruits except dates? Are we not undermining the wisdom of Allah by believing that the prophet was in Mecca, which grew nothing beyond dates?

"O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in an uncultivated valley by Your Sacred House in order, O our Lord, that they may perform As-Salat so fill some hearts among men with love towards them, and (O Allah) provide them with fruits so that they may give thanks. 14:37

And (remember) when Abraham said, "My Lord, make this a city of security and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day." He (Allah) answered: "As for him who disbelieves, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the torment of the Fire, and worst indeed is that destination!" 2:126

Abraham prayed to Allah to provide fruits to his offspring; will Abraham settle his offspring in a country, which is barren?

Then We brought forth for you therewith gardens of date palms and grapes, wherein is much fruit for you, and whereof you eat. And a tree (olive) that springs forth from Mount Sinai, which grows oil, and (it is a) relish for the eaters. 23:19/20

Where are the gardens of grapes and the tree of olive, which Allah brought forth to the people of Mecca? Did anyone find such gardens and the tree of olive when they visited Mecca?

By the Fig and the Olive And the Mount of Sinai and by this city of security 95:1/2/3

The Fig is not from Mecca, the Olive is not from Mecca, the Mount Sinai is not in Mecca, therefore the city of security is not Mecca but where the Fig is grown, where the Olive is grown and where Mount Sinai is located. The only city secured, blessed and sacred as per the Quran is Jordan where we can find Fig, Olive, Grapes, Pomegranates, crops of different varieties, and the location of Mount TUR.

SAUDI ARABIA

Salt scrub is the only natural vegetation in much of Arabia's desert and highland areas. In the better watered Yemen and Asir regions, cactus like euphorbia, eucalyptus, buddleia scrub, aloe, and other types of vegetation grow naturally, but overgrazing by livestock and terracing for agriculture in general have reduced natural vegetation to useless patches. Arabia is largely devoid of trees, except for the date palm, which can be grown almost anywhere and was for centuries a staple of domestic economy. Some other trees, such as acacia, tamarisk, and mimosa, are used as windbreaks to stabilize dunes. 

There are no perennial rivers in Saudi Arabia. The entire freshwater supply is provided from underground water supplies, some surfacing as oases and the remainder from wells that tap groundwater that is replenished by percolation from the numerous interior wadis (intermittent streams characteristic of desert areas) and from deep-lying aquifers. The 0.5 percent of the country's land area considered arable is dependent on irrigation. Soils are poorly developed and reflect in composition the underlying bedrock from which they were formed. Large areas are covered with pebbles of different sizes.

Climatically, Saudi Arabia is almost entirely a desert. There are three predominant climatic zones: a small area of humid and mild temperature conditions in Asir near the Yemen border, with annual rainfall that can average more than 19 inches (480 mm); a steppe along the western highlands, less than 100 miles (160 km) wide in the north and widening to nearly 300 miles (480 km) near Mecca; and arid and semiarid desert, which constitutes more than 95 percent of the total land area. In Rub' Al-Khali a decade may pass with no rain at all. Temperatures nationwide tend to be cooler during the winter months (between 58  F [14  C] and 74  F [23  C]) and extremely hot in the summer, with temperatures from June to August exceeding 100  F (38  C) and frequently reaching 129  F (54  C). Humidity is low, except along the coasts, where it can be high and very oppressive.
The country's vegetation is characterized by small herbs and shrubs, which provide forage for sheep and goats herded by nomads. The ubiquitous date palm is the country's most widespread, naturally occurring tree. Wild animals include wolf, hyena, fox, and a few larger animals, such as the gazelle, leopard, and mountain sheep. (Britannica 98)
CLIMATE AND GEOGRAPHY

Almost all of Saudi Arabia consists of semi-desert and desert with oases, where half of the total surface is uninhabitable desert. All over the country there is very little rain. Most of the western parts of Saudi Arabia is plateau, the east is lowland, with very hot climate. The southwest has mountains as high as 3000 meters. This area also has the greenest and freshest climate in the entire country.

Likewise, the climate is dry and hot. Riyadh, the capital, has an average temperature in July of 42?C and in January of 14?C, while Jeddah on the coast has 31?C and 23?C. Annual precipitation both places are below 100 mm. There are no permanent rivers and lakes in Saudi Arabia.

Vegetation is scant, consisting mostly of xerophytic herbs and shrubs. Animal life includes ibex, wildcats, baboons, wolves, and hyenas in the highlands. Small birds are found in the oases.
? Copyright 1996-2003 Lexic Orient. All rights reserved
By: Tore Kjeilen

WayFinder

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:46:57 AM »
Brother Kazi.. outstanding!!  And I started to think this topic went un-noticed... I was wrong... I will read this properly when I am back... when I made the topic I already knew these fruits do no grow in Mecca.. wanted to gather thoughts... it was a good idea this topic.
3:7 He it is Who has revealed the Book to you; some of its verses are decisive, they are the basis of the Book, and others are allegorical; then as for those in whose hearts there is perversity they follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation but none knows its interpretation except Allah, and those who are firmly rooted in knowledge say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord; and none do mind except those having understanding.

nsws1988

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
I've always thought that the fruits mentioned in the Quran are those that grow in the Mediterranean, such as Palestine.

By the Fig and the Olive And the Mount of Sinai and by this city of security 95:1/2/3

The Fig is not from Mecca, the Olive is not from Mecca, the Mount Sinai is not in Mecca, therefore the city of security is not Mecca but where the Fig is grown, where the Olive is grown and where Mount Sinai is located. The only city secured, blessed and sacred as per the Quran is Jordan where we can find Fig, Olive, Grapes, Pomegranates, crops of different varieties, and the location of Mount TUR.

My cousins have been taught in school that Mount of sinai is 'jabal sina' in Mecca :S

What makes you say that Jordan is the correct location?

Isn't Mount Sinai the same as this place here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Mount_Sinai

Ayisha

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 03:58:45 AM »

Mount Sinai is now part af Egypt and in Sinai. Its the biblical Moses one
http://st-katherine.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=32

Figs grow in abundance in Egypt, and pomegranates and grapes and olives and various other fruits. The Mount of Olives also spoken of IS Mount Tur though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_of_Olives
In the name of God, The Compassionate, The Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of the Universe,
The Compassionate, The Merciful,
Sovereign of the Day of Judgement!
You alone we worship, and to You alone we turn for help.
Guide us to the straight path,
The path of those You have favoured,
Not of those who have incurred Your wrath,
Nor of those who have gone astray.

nsws1988

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +4/-4
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »
http://st-katherine.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=32

Figs grow in abundance in Egypt, and pomegranates and grapes and olives and various other fruits. The Mount of Olives also spoken of IS Mount Tur though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_of_Olives

Thanks!  :handshake:

huruf

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
I think in a desert you always can grow whatever you like provided you have water and provided they correspod to the latitude. That is in fact the case of Egypt, a long oasis in upper Egypt and a wider and shorter one in Lowe Egypt. Mecca must be an oasis, otherwise you couldn't  have people living there nor have dates either. And if there was waterm surely you could have pomegranate, grapes and any other plant that can grow at that latitude. Surely not in  the same bulk as in Egypt, but seems unreal to me that the only plant that could grow in Mecca should be dates. People had orchards and gardens as far as I can grasp.

Salaam

WayFinder

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
I think in a desert you always can grow whatever you like provided you have water and provided they correspod to the latitude. That is in fact the case of Egypt, a long oasis in upper Egypt and a wider and shorter one in Lowe Egypt. Mecca must be an oasis, otherwise you couldn't  have people living there nor have dates either. And if there was waterm surely you could have pomegranate, grapes and any other plant that can grow at that latitude. Surely not in  the same bulk as in Egypt, but seems unreal to me that the only plant that could grow in Mecca should be dates. People had orchards and gardens as far as I can grasp.

Salaam

Infact I have spoken about this issue with my uncle who worked for 7 years in KSA and he confirmed me that these fruits are grown in the neighboring regions of Makkah and have also seen them in Taif and Riyadh... he has seen vineyard and watermelon culture etc... He told me all these fruits are grown there.. and as you say... they are not grown in bulk but they do grow.

tauhid101

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Peace Ayisha,

Have you seen this website about the "discoveries" by the late Ron Wyatt? I think that if further research and explorations are done by the local authorities...instead they put up fences and soldiers to guard the mountain.

http://wyattmuseum.com/mount-sinai.htm

Peace :peace:
tauhid101

Mazhar

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +0/-0

The oath has been taken of four things, Fig, Olive, the long stretching and parallel/rift rock of the Peninsula of Sinai, and "This City" whose qualitative description is also metntioned as having been made secure. All four are independent of each other.

Surat-95 At Teen