Author Topic: Free PDF of: Muhammad Shahrur, "The Qur'an, Morality and Critical Reason"  (Read 14409 times)

Arnold Yasin

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-7
Muhammad Shahrour's book in English. The complete summary of all his work into English. Get it in PDF:

http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/The_Quran_Morality_and_Critical_Reason.html

Click Mirror 1, enter the code into the box, then wait for 40seconds, then click Download, an advertisement screen will open, but you can click it away. No hacking involved, so don't worry.

This book is THE best book on the Qur'an, he is a genius.

David_K

Peace Arnold :)

Well done man. I appreciate your contribution. I have wanted to read this book for a long time, but its price was to expensive on amazon (over 100 dollars for the book) therefore i didn't buy it. By the way, i have posted an article on this forum that might interest you. The article inform us about the plagues that happened during the time of moses and pharaoh, and explain the plagues from a scientific view. Since you have written articles about the prophets not doing miracles (that would be against the natural laws, and from the Quran we know that the system of Allah has not changed) i think this article might interest you:

http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9600261.0

Much respect,
David

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Leyna

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0

Thanks!  :D

hope4

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-1
Thank you.
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

RA786

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
I read only some of the first chapter of this book and was a little confused...(I will continue)

He says that the Traditionalist Rituals (Zakat (Charity tax or alms giving), and Fasting) are NOT human nature or Human instinct. It is against Human instinct/nature.
Then goes on to say that
They were stipulated only for the Muslim-Believers ( al-mu"min?n), not for
all Muslim-Assenters ( al-muslim?n) who, by their natural disposition,
instinctively follow the religion of al-isl?m, and not of al-?m?n.

So does this mean that he is saying We do not have to do Charity or Fasting since it is against human nature? Then...If we are to say that...can we then say that We can do whatever we want (since that could be interpreted as human nature? for instance Commit Genocide, Steal, Murder, Rape..etc...as this is all Labled "Human Nature" by many?)
 ???  :o :confused:

Arnold Yasin

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +16/-7
Salam,

Then you have not been reading well, as he explains it very clearly. Seems you have been skipping parts. He divides the Quranic message into two fields:

Islam/muslimeen (what he calles Muslim-Assenters)-those that incline to their natural instinct (2:62, 30:30) and do good deeds on a simple level, and can stay within their own cultural religion. So they are peacegiving, but not necesseraly universal in their thinking.

Iman/mumineen (Muslims Believers)-those that go against their natural instinct of survival, and give out of their money, fight against injustice, don't mind giving their lives for the greater good. And they accept all revelations as originally sent by God. These are universal in their thinking and altruistic.

abdalquran

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0

I highly respect Dr Shahrur as he helped me understand how Quran explained itself. However, I cannot agree with his treatment of islam and iman for the following reasons:
1. God's system has never changed. All Prophets were taught the exact same system (41/43 is unequivocal about this)

2. The commands to the mumineen are very ethical in nature. They talk about fighting oppression for example. How is this isolated to the Prophet's ummah alone.

3. There is no such thing as the Prophet's ummah in the Quran.

4. Dr Shahrur probably needs to somehow justify rituals and that's why he thinks they're against 'instinct'. To me, nothing in Quran is against instinct (when the instinct is pure).
Farouk A. Peru

RA786

• Truth Seeker
  • Karma +0/-0
Salaam Brother Arnold...Thanks for that :)

Yes, I was skimming over a little here and there.. :-\

So far I like what he says regarding many things...however I still feel confused about the "Instinct" thing.

How do we know that it is against Human Nature to fast, Share (charity) etc...? Actually I think this is hard to say as Human nature could be Both Purley Humble and Sharing to Purely Egotistic selfish and evil. I dont think we can say concretely what Human Nature is.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
peace Arnold, all,

I had a chance to read some of Shahrur's book. Specifically the part on 4:34 and I wasn't impressed. In fact, his understanding has significant flaws. The following are my brief notes:

States:
nushuz = neglect of responsibility.
Where is this from? Likely interpretation.

Tries to make a case for al-rijal referring to both men/women in the context of 4:34.
Whilst seemingly plausible, provides no Classical Arabic Dictionary evidence other than the dual can sometimes refer to male & female.

Cites 9:37 which is a different root for nisa compared to others yet does not explain reasoning/evidence for this.

Neglects to comment on guard in the unseen. Probably because it causes significant problems in his view.

Neglects to mention why it is "fears nushuz", implying something not blatant/direct/obvious.

Inserts his own "and if a woman is married a refusal to share her bed".

States:
Finally, if these things fail, she should be
punished by the withdrawal of her right of guardianship/qiwama

qiwama = the provision
of strong leadership and financial power

God is the one who bestows it upon some, not it is something taken away (and thus given) by another.
How this so-called punishment even works is anyone's guess. It is explained as "civilized conveyance of discontent and rebuke".

It says DRB them, not DRB right of guardianship.

When discussing 4:128, mentions:
The text does not use the sexually charged terms for wife/husband
(zawja/zawj)

In classical arabic, zawj (pl. azwaj) are NOT sexually charged terms. Akin to "spouse/mate/pair" in English.

Inserts bal as provider with no evidence.
His point about bal being non-conjugal husband and zawj being conjugal husband is refuted by 2:232.
Not to mention the logical implications and cites no Classical Arabic Dictionary evidence.

Does not mention the context of 4:128, i.e. linked to 4:127 with "wa".
Adds a significant amount of explanation, most likely in order for it to make sense.

Inadequate explanation of 4:129.

States:
This is exactly how the
previous verse defined men?s nush?z and neglect as the two reasons
why men have lost their qiwama.

Technically it is nushuz OR neglect. Lost qiwama is not mentioned, and is an insertion/interpretation.

Provides no resolution strategy for the wife, in terms of divorce. Seemingly misunderstands Quranic divorce procedure.

Does not explain coherence (if any) of 4:34 and 4:128, nor of 58:1-4.

#################

However, he does bring up some interesting points. If you compare his analysis with my own at www.Quran434.com there is a big difference. However, mine is by far the most coherent understanding of all. Of course, I may be biased, so it is recommended to read/verify for oneself.

If you have his contact details, let him know of the site.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org