Author Topic: Stoning Punishment in the Bible  (Read 4042 times)

Q_student

• Truth Seeker
Stoning Punishment in the Bible
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »
Salaam all
What are your comments on this ?

Torah
The Torah of the Jews, which is contained in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible and as such serves as a common religious reference, prescribes death by stoning for a long series of offenses, namely:

Touching Mount Sinai while God was giving Moses the Ten Commandments (Exodus 19:13)
An ox that gores someone to death should be stoned (Exodus 21:28)
Breaking the Shabbat (Numbers 15:32-36)
Giving one's "seed" (presumably one's offspring) "to Molech" (Leviticus 20:2-5)
Having a "familiar spirit" (or being a necromancer) or being a "wizard" (Lev. 20:27)
Cursing God (Lev. 24:10-16)
Engaging in idolatry (Deuteronomy 17:2-7) or seducing others to do so (Deut. 13:7-12)
"Rebellion" against parents (Deut. 21,21)
Getting married as though a virgin, when not a virgin (Deut. 22:13-21)
Sexual intercourse between a man and a woman engaged to another man (both should be stoned, Deut. 22:23-24)

[edit] Mishna
The Mishna gives the following list of persons who should be stoned (Sanhedrin Chapter 7, p. 53a [1])

A man who has sexual intercourse with one of the following (see Lev. 20, which however does not specify the form of execution):
his mother
his father's wife
his daughter-in-law
another man
an animal ("bestiality")
A woman who allows an animal to have sexual intercourse with her
A blasphemer
An idolater
One who gives his seed to Molech
A necromancer or wizard
One who desecrates the sabbath
One who curses his father and mother
One who has sexual intercourse with a betrothed maiden
One who incites or instigates (toward idolatry)
A sorcerer
A wayward and rebellious son

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoning#Stoning_in_history

Regards
To Learn Arabic i.e The language of the Quran ,free download

http://www.kalamullah.com/learning-arabic.html

عن عمر بن الخطاب "قال"
لا يقرئ القران الا عالم باللغة

Free lectures on Madina arabic books

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Madina+arabic+course&search_type=&aq=f

almarh0m

• Truth Seeker
Re: Stoning Punishment in the Bible
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:47:16 PM »
Peace  Q_s

Don't worry Bro , some of those on your list have been "islamised" by the Muhammadans as Shariah Law i.e. Stone the adulterors and Fornicators to death . The Muhammadans simply copied from the Bible into their own hadiths such as Deuteronomy 22:22-24 , Leviticus 20:10 etc , these people just love killing don't they ? Compare the punishment for the same offence in the Qur'an 24:2 and 4:25 ............
100 stripes of the Whips or 50 stripes ( depending on who committed the adultery ? ) .

Cheers
"He who Created me, it is He who Guides me"

Bigmo

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:15 AM »
Peace  Q_s

Don't worry Bro , some of those on your list have been "islamised" by the Muhammadans as Shariah Law i.e. Stone the adulterors and Fornicators to death . The Muhammadans simply copied from the Bible into their own hadiths such as Deuteronomy 22:22-24 , Leviticus 20:10 etc , these people just love killing don't they ? Compare the punishment for the same offence in the Qur'an 24:2 and 4:25 ............
100 stripes of the Whips or 50 stripes ( depending on who committed the adultery ? ) .

Cheers

Roman Punishment - Punishments given to Roman Slaves
In Ancient Rome the slaves had no rights at all. The were thought of, treated like, merchandise. However, slaves did cost money to buy so many of the punishments did not inflict lasting damage.  The lash was the most common punishment. When slaves were beaten, they were suspended with a weight tied to their feet, that they might not move them. Another punishment was to be branded in the forehead. An alternative punishment included the slave being forced to carry a piece of wood round their necks wherever they went. This was called furca; and whichever slave had been subjected to the punishment was ever afterwards called furcifer. Slaves were also, by way of punishment, often confined in a work-house, or house of correction, where they were obliged to turn a mill for grinding corn. When punished for any capital offence, they were commonly crucified; but this was eventually prohibited under the rule of the Emperor Constantine. 

Roman Punishment - Forgery
Forgery was not punished with death, unless the culprit was a slave; but freemen guilty of that crime were subject to banishment, which deprived them of their property and privileges; and false testimony, coining, and those offences which we term misdemeanours, exposed them to an interdiction from fire and water, or in fact an excommunication from society, which necessarily drove them into banishment.

Roman Punishment - Different Types of Punishment for Romans
The different types of punishments inflicted among the Romans, were fines, (damnum,) bonds, (vincula,) stripes, (verbera,) retaliation, (talio,) infamy, (ignominia,) banishment, (exilium,) slavery, (servitus,) and death. A Roman citizen could not be sentenced to death unless he was found guilty of treason. A Roman citizen had the right to be tried in Romeif accused of treason. If sentenced to death, no Roman citizen could be sentenced to  be crucified.

Roman Punishment by Death
The Roman methods of inflicting death were various, in the time of Nero, the punishment for treason was, to be stripped stark naked, and with the head held up by a fork to be whipped to death. The most common punishment were as follows:

Beheading (percussio securi)

Strangling in prison (strangulatio)

Throwing a criminal from that part of the prison called Robur (precipitatio de robore)

Throwing a criminal from the Tarpeian rock (dejectio e rupe Tarpeia)

Crucifixion (in crucem actio)

Burying a person alive

Throwing a criminal into the river (projectio in profluentem).

Roman Punishment for Patricide
The last-mentioned punishment (throwing a criminal into the river (projectio in profluentem) was inflicted for patricide or killing your father. As soon as any one was convicted of patricide he was immediately blindfolded as unworthy of the light, and in the next place the person were taken to the field of Mars outside Rome, stripped of everything then whipped with rods. He was then sewed up in a sack, and thrown into the sea. Later in time, to add to the punishment for patricide, a serpent was put in the sack; and still later, an ape, a dog and a cock. The sack which held the criminal was called Culeus, on which account the punishment itself is often signified by the same name.

Roman Punishment
The content of this Roman Punishment category on life in Ancient Rome provides free educational details, facts and information for reference and research for schools, colleges and homework. Refer to the Colosseum Sitemap for a comprehensive search on interesting different categories containing the history, facts and information about Ancient Rome.

Assyrian Death Penalty This sketch represents the usual death penalty given by the Assyrians which was hoisting on poles. The victims were tied with their stomachs or throats on the point of a stake so that their own weight thrust them downwards.
http://www.bible-history.com/past/assyrian_death_penalty.html

Assyrian Fetters Pairs of bronze fetters were used to fasten prisoners. They were made of various shapes and materials. The ones that were put on Zedekiah and Samson were made of brass or copper. The sketch on top is from a pair of Fetters found in Nineveh, currently in the British Museum. They weigh 8 lbs. 11 oz. and are 16 آ inches long. The part which enclosed the ankles is thinner so that they could be hammered small after the feet were placed in them. The Egyptians enclosed the hands of their prisoners in an elongated shackle of wood, made of two opposite segments nailed together at each end.
http://www.bible-history.com/past/assyrian_fetters.html

Assyrian Hooking the Lips This sketch is an archaeological discovery from the ruins of Ancient Assyria. It reveals an Assyrian king blinding a captive king while holding his head still with a hook in his lips. The other kings are waiting for the same fate. The Bible reveals accounts of prisoners being blinded and this metaphor is used of God leading rebellious people and nations.
http://www.bible-history.com/sketches/ancient/assyrian-king-lips-eyes.html

Assyrians Blinding Their Prisoners This sketch represents part of a scene from a marble slab discovered at Khorsabad. The Assyrian king is using a spear to blind one of his many prisoners. In his left hand he holds a cord with a hook attached at the opposite end which are inserted into the prisoners lips. The Assyrians would thrust the point of a dagger or spear into the eye. Their are many representations that have been discovered revealing that the Babylonians, Assyrians and Persians made use of the same cruel punishment.
http://www.bible-history.com/past/blinding_prisoners.html

Counting Dead Men's Hands This sketch represents how the Egyptians would count the severed hands of enemy corpses after a battle. They would usually cut off the hands or the genitals of the dead and make a heap before their king. In one case 12,535 of these "battle trophies" were counted and assembled into a mound after a victory of Ramsees III over the Libyans.
http://www.bible-history.com/past/egyptians_counting_hands.html

Israelites Forced to Labor This sketch is taken from a marble relief found in the palace of Sennacherib. It illustrates how the Israelite prisoners were assembled into gangs and forced to perform heavy labor. They are clothed in short skirted garments and are carrying heavy loads of rocks.
http://www.bible-history.com/past/israelite_forced_labor.html

Roman Scourging The Romans would, according to custom, scourge a condemned criminal before he was put to death. The Roman scourge, also called the "flagrum" or "flagellum" was a short whip made of two or three leather (ox-hide) thongs or ropes connected to a handle as in the sketch above. The leather thongs were knotted with a number of small pieces of metal, usually zinc and iron, attached at various intervals. Scourging would quickly remove the skin.
http://www.bible-history.com/past/flagrum.html

Looks like these were acceptable forms of punishment in the ancient times. I do not see the Sunnis or Shias or Israelites as being any more bloody than anyone else was. Anyways with WW1, WW2 and all these bombs and killing of civilians, who are we to judge others.  But what does God has to do with that? These are societies run by people for people. They are not angels or extraterrestrial creatures. When we see a lion gobble up a baby deer, we don't say this is God? When we see starvation and oppression, we don't say this is God. Who are we to judge anyways?
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

almarh0m

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »
Peace  Bigmo

The difference between the people and the punishments you mentioned in your above post is , they no longer enforce these cruel and barbaric acts . Whereas , the The Sunni and Muhammadans continue with their cutting of limbs , beheadings and stonings . Do you still think that The Sunni and Muhammadans are no more cruel and barbaric than the people you mentioned ? This is the 21st Century , we are not living in the stone age anymore .

Peace

almarh0m

Rami

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:03 AM »
Peace  Bigmo

The difference between the people and the punishments you mentioned in your above post is , they no longer enforce these cruel and barbaric acts . Whereas , the The Sunni and Muhammadans continue with their cutting of limbs , beheadings and stonings . Do you still think that The Sunni and Muhammadans are no more cruel and barbaric than the people you mentioned ? This is the 21st Century , we are not living in the stone age anymore .

Peace

almarh0m

Peace,

What do you mean 21st century? The modern world punishes criminals using the method of confinement. This method was used during Joseph's time!! But still the Torah and the Quran which came very much later never used this method for punishing criminals. Why?

Peace,

Rami

almarh0m

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:36:17 AM »
Peace   Rami

I take it that you prefer cutting off limbs , beheading , and stoning people to death instead of imprisonment/confinement in Jails ?

Peace

Rami

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:49:31 AM »
Peace   Rami

I take it that you prefer cutting off limbs , beheading , and stoning people to death instead of imprisonment/confinement in Jails ?

Peace

I take it that you worship the king of Egypt?

almarh0m

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:58 AM »
Peace Rami

I worship No Thing ! Did I say anything about the King of Egypt ? I thought we were talking about "Stoning Punishment in The Bible" ? Obviously , I was wrong  ;D :peace:

almarh0m

Rami

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:06:13 AM »
Peace Rami

I worship No Thing ! Did I say anything about the King of Egypt ? I thought we were talking about "Stoning Punishment in The Bible" ? Obviously , I was wrong  ;D :peace:

almarh0m

Peace,

OK. Actually stoning is simply capital punishment so it can be translated today as capital punishment by firearms ie. bullet=stone. In Islam, murderers and corruptors should be put to death.

What about lashing and cutting the thieves hand and beating women?? They are plainly ordered in the Quran. Are they backward too? According to the modern world, it is madness to follow them.

Peace,

Rami

Rami

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:22:09 AM »
Peace,

The reason why corporeal punishment is preferred over prison is that much more cheaper and its a real penalty. Prison is actually a vacation. Yes, it causes some trauma but it wastes alot of money for no reason. The modern world can do this because of the usurious banking systems. While the poor is working 24 hours a day and starving to death, the governments are spending lots of money for confining its prisoners. In a non-usurious economy, corporeal punishemnt is the ideal way. This money should go to the poor rather than giving a free time for the wicked.

Pharaoh had this ability because he stole the fruit of labor of his servants by TAX so he was able to maintain a prison system. One of the reason why God was mad at Pharaoh that he enslaved the Israelites economically by TAXING them and distributing it to the undeedy preferred class.

It also explains why Solomon was actually a poor King but was given powers and gifts from God. God won't allow His servant to store gold and silver while His other servants starve.

Yeah, don't tell anyone. I am deep. :P

Peace,

Rami