Author Topic: Iktikaf at the masjid  (Read 1832 times)

loli

• Apprentice
Iktikaf at the masjid
« on: October 29, 2004, 09:31:10 AM »
Salam,

from Yusuf Ali's translation

002.187 Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are your garments and ye are their garments. Allah knoweth what ye used to do secretly among yourselves; but He turned to you and forgave you; so now associate with them, and seek what Allah Hath ordained for you, and eat and drink, until the white thread of dawn appear to you distinct from its black thread; then complete your fast Till the night appears; but do not associate with your wives while ye are in retreat in the mosques. Those are Limits (set by) Allah: Approach not nigh thereto. Thus doth Allah make clear His Signs to men: that they may learn self-restraint.

what does iktikaf means? is it retreat? how you guys retreat to the mosque?
from my understanding, the literal meaning for "masjid" is  "the prostration area" Am i right here?

So how do you guys iktikaf at the masjid? Any comments apprieciated.

-ashraff-
23:97-98. And Say: ?My Lord, I seek refuge with you from the whispers of the devils.??And I seek refuge with you O Lord that they should come near.?

idolfree1

Iktikaf at the masjid
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 02:45:14 AM »
Peace be upon you,

I take masjid to be a MENTAL place of hearing and obeying the restrictions. To "retreat" to the masjid would be to "meditate" on the God's restrictions.

drfazl

• Advanced Truth Seeker
Iktikaf at the masjid
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »
Peace

I'tiqaf is purifying our minds from the evils that we know of and trying to know more and more of our own bad qualities such as pride and envy and so on.

drfazl
Quran reading is useless unless we decisively stick to righteousness in our lives, at least to an extent possible. Based on such status Allah Guides, in such a way  http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx   that we do not transgress after receiving His Mercy.