News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Thoughts on the timing of Ramadan.

Started by truth, July 05, 2004, 05:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth

Peace to all readers,

I have recently had the opportunity to review information on the timing of Ramadan. Most discussions here have Ramadan (based on triliteral root rmd) occuring in the 'hotter' months ie. the northern hemisphere summer.

The second piece of the puzzle is the star Sirius. The heliacal rising and setting of Sirius has been discussed and advanced (Anwar for example) as a marker for Ramadan in which the Quran was revealed (based on surah 53).

Now most discussion I have seen has the time determined by Sirius 'rising', however surah 53 begins:

53:1 By the Star when it goes down,-

that star being:

53:49 That He is the Lord of Sirius (the Mighty Star);

Now it is clear that the events of 53:2-18 that mention the revelation of the Quran to the prophet occurs when Sirius, the Star has set.

Sirius is a special star. We recognise that the sun, moon, planets and stars are signs of God. Sirius is amongst the closest stars to our solar system and is the single brightest star in the sky. It is visible from all inhabitable regions of the earth and was followed closely by all ancient civilisations as a way of determining time. It has been worshipped by civilisations including Egypt and many pyramids and temples are aligned according to this star.

The Quran therefore comes to mankind once this star has set in the night sky. In Mecca calculations show that this occurs on or around the 9th June each year. It returns to the night sky as a morning star rising just before the sun on or around the 23rd of July each year.

This is a time interval of 45 days within which is when I believe the month of Ramadan is. It coincides with the hottest time of the year in Mecca and spans the time of the summer solstice on June 22 which is the longest day in the northern hemisphere.

So when does one fast in this 45 day interval?

The setting of Sirius marks the beginning of the month of "Ramadan" so that June 9th would be the start of the month.

If we look at the year of revelation 610 AD there was a new moon (ie. no moon visible in the sky) on  Tuesday June 26th 610 AD.

Still discussing 610 AD: With the month commencing on the 9th June, the new moon that would occur on the 26th of June in my opinion would have represented the night of power. The reason I believe this is that on that night the sun, moon and sirius are all absent from the night sky. These heavenly objects have been the object of idol worship since ancient times.

The coming of the quran represents the restoring of the creed of Abraham. Remember that Abraham looked at a star (probably Sirius), then the moon and then the sun and believed them to be his lord in turn but when they each set he realised that these were merely creations of the true Lord- Ar-Rahman. See 6:76-79.

Idolatry is abolished by the revelation of the Quran. This is why I believe that the night of power was the 26th June 610.

The fast is for a specified 'few' number of days 2:184 and the understanding of 'few' is a number between 3 and 10. Layth has written an article on the quranic calendar which details why this 'few' is likely to be the whole 10 days.

My feeling is that the fast would begin on the day following the night of power ie. the 28th June for a period of 10 days. The final day of fasting would coincide with the 30th or final day of the month of "Ramadan" that commenced on the 9th June. The final fast would occur on the 7th July.

This leaves 15 days from the 8th July, following the fast in which the Hajj would be performed while Sirius is yet to rise again on the 23rd July.

This period does indeed coincide with the hottest time of the year in Mecca and also fulfils all the requirements of the position of Sirius. It also explains the time of the night of power elegantly with the story of Abraham in 6:76-79. Moreover it also explains how the moon helps the finding of the time for Hajj following the fast  2:189.

There is at least one new moon in the 45 day interval from 9th June to 23rd July while Sirius is absent from the sky in Mecca. This new moon could provide a timing device from year to year for Hajj also.

The first thing I had thought of was to fast the first ten days of the month of "Ramadan" starting 10th June (the day after the set of Sirius) and that the first new moon occurring following the end of this ten days ie. first new moon after the 19th June would mark the time of Hajj. This scheme may in fact comply more with 2:189 where the new moon is used to find the time of Hajj and the set of Sirius determines the start of Ramadan on a year to year basis.

The calculation of the heliacal set and rise of Sirius as well as the new moon could be refined with the help of a professional astronomer but I think what I have written is the general scheme of things.

Any comments or questions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Oben

"the Knower of the Unseen, and He reveals unto none His secret,
Save unto a messenger whom He has chosen, and He made an affirmer before him and another follow him.

truth

Peace,

I just wanted to point out that my calculations are based on  modern dates and ephemerides for the heliacal set and rise of Sirius.

I have researched more and this has shown that the 'precession of the equinox' that occurs because of shifts in the earth's orbit versus the celestial sphere means that the setting and rise of Sirius above would have occurred 12 days before the dates given above.

This would mean that the setting of Sirius would have occurred around the 29th May 610 AD and the rise of Sirius on the 11th July.

Interestingly a new moon occurred on the 28th May 610 AD and the new crescent would have been seen in the two days after this.

In the year 610 AD then, the setting of Sirius would occur on the next night 29th May and  the first crescent of the moon would likely have been seen on the 30th May. The following day 31st of May would have been the beginning of the month of Ramadan.

Peace.
Oben

"the Knower of the Unseen, and He reveals unto none His secret,
Save unto a messenger whom He has chosen, and He made an affirmer before him and another follow him.

OberonSky

Peace,

Amazing, I just finished writing something similar to your message ..

Here: http://www.free-minds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27362&highlight=#27362

I used the calculator on this link:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4633/heliacJAVA.html#LINKvbs

The day of Sirius rising and setting shifts with years .. and I think it comes around after 1416 years .. perhaps I am wrong but .. on 610 AD and coordinates of Mecca you can get the exact day and time .. and I too am wondering about the "By the star when it fell" ..

I wonder if you have any further thoughts on this issue .. I do know that the rising of Sirius carries a more significant wieght when it comes to mythology spanning many cultures ..

OberonSky

Alright here are the data:

Mecca coordinates: 39 49 E , 21 25 N
Year 610 AD
Sirius altitude: I tired several ones starting with 0 degrees and upto 2 degrees (above horizon) with refraction the naked eye would see it when it is a little less than 1 degree ..

MORNING (heliacal) RISING
Julian cal.: 16/7/610 AD
GREGORIAN cal.: 19/7/610 AD
UT= 1 h 48  min

MORNING SETTING
Julian cal.: 13/12/610 AD
GREGORIAN cal.: 16/12/610 AD
UT= 3 h 1  min

EVENING RISING
Julian cal.: 18/12/610 AD
GREGORIAN cal.: 21/12/610 AD
UT= 15 h 35  min

EVENING (heliacal) SETTING
Julian cal.: 18/5/610 AD
GREGORIAN cal.: 21/5/610 AD
UT= 16 h 43  min

The one of interest seems to be the heliacal rising which happens with the sun, July 16, 610 AD.

-------------

One more note and please correct me if I am wrong ...

I calculated 1 Ramadan of the year -12 (12 years before Hijra .. which is 610 AD) and it corresponded to July 31, 610 AD ..

However the sirius rising was earlier that July .. I wonder if something is missing ... sigh!

marie

Salam OberonSky,

I'd like to konw what do you think about this:

53:49 'Shi'ra' # Sirius ?

and this

CYRUS

Thanks in advance

Marie
And He is the God, there is no god but He.
[url="http://hanif.free.fr/"]http://hanif.free.fr/[/url]

themovement1

Hawa can mean to rise & set. And we are talking about when it rises and sets with the sun, being the most likely time. How does it rise and set with the sun at 1:40 am? THe usn is neither rising nor setting at that time anywhere.

Godbless,
Anwar

savage_carrot

Peace Anwar,

Forgive the intrusion but i have been trying to get in touch with you, the pm i sent you has been sitting in my outbox for 3 weeks now, and i even emailed you at the address you have on your profile...pls check it out, i had some imp ?'s to ask you.

Tia.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

OberonSky

Quote from: "themovement1"Hawa can mean to rise & set. And we are talking about when it rises and sets with the sun, being the most likely time. How does it rise and set with the sun at 1:40 am? THe usn is neither rising nor setting at that time anywhere.

As is true of any star, Sirius is only visible between the time of its helical rising and setting. Conversely, it is invisible from the time of heliacal setting until its heliacal rising. The "heliacal rising" is the first day when the star rises and the Sun is far enough below the eastern horizon to make it visible in the morning twilight. In the same way, the "heliacal setting" is the last day when the star sets and the Sun is far enough below the western horizon to make the star visible in the evening twilight. This in not to be confused with what is called ?cosmic rising". In the latter case, it is not possible to see the star, due to the light of the Sun.

Therefore, the heliacal rising is NOT the same as the COSMIC rising  .. which is what you refer to

themovement1

Yes, I am pointing to the Cosmic rising. These names Cosmic and Heliacal are merely names to try that have come about to classify the differences that occur in it's rising. The original Heliacal (Sun/Solar) rising woudl have best approximated when the star rose with the sun according to the limited resources of some of our ancients. Of course you could only consider teh heliacal rising when it became visible long ago. But once you could better estimate when it rose with the sun you no longer need a visible rising as you know when it is rising with the sun. So I think that the Cosmic is the rising that we need to focus on. That is really when Sirisu rising with the sun. Waiting until sirius is visible is a less accurate way of approximating an even that really can't be seen, though it can be accurately observed.

Godbless,
Anwar

youssef4342

Peace be with you as well...
thank you for sharing

i would also believe in the hot summer timing of ramadan

2) There is cited, a surah was REVEALED (Quran was revealed during Ramadan )...

3) this surah calls for fighting, and people have said "let us not mobilize in the HEAT" (9:81).

Do you see why this could be taken as ramadan being around the hottest time of the year, i.e the summer solstice for those in the northern hemisphere

Facebook Group
[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/310518545650653/[/url]

"Fear not those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear the one who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)