News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

women - abstain from fasting during menstruation?

Started by rafia, September 14, 2007, 06:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafia

salam/ peace to all
as well as a blessed ramadan -

well, all sources i find say that fasting is either invalid or even forbidden during menstruation.
on the free-minds homepage the article on menstruation and prayer mentions one verse dealing with menstruation:

And they ask you about menstruation: say, "It is harmful; you shall abstain from the women during menstruation and do not approach them until they are cleansed. Once they are cleansed, you may approach them in the manner ordained by GOD. GOD loves the repenters, and He loves those who are pure." 2:222

it is also said in the article that the verses about fasting (2:184f.) don't touch the subject of menstruation.

so i wonder if anyone has done any research on the topic.
is there any reason to think it may be harmful for women to fast while having their menses? if not, what are the reasons given for it being not allowed?

i find it hard to break the fast, would like to fast the whole month through; so i am wondering if the allmerciful put the order to break the fast or if it's human interpretation. in the first case i will try and submit.

peace and thanks for any thoughts,

M

SwedenMajidah

Peace,

Surah 2:184-185 not mention that fasting during your menses are forbidden because it's only if you are ill you can fast other days or feed the poor.

There are women who have pms and have problem during her menses and therefore in their cases they are concidered ill.

So it's really up to you if you are strong enough to fast!? Then go for it!

Peace Maria

ayani

i kind of assumed the restriction on fasting while on the rag as due to the possibility of dehydration. after all, one is losing fluid, so it would probably be better to drink things, at least, to stay strong.

but i agree- every woman is different, and if one feels able to fast and would like to do so, i don't see a problem.  :peace:
Salam al-Masih

namnoc

Peace

2:183    O you who believe, fasting has been decreed for you as it was decreed for those before you, perhaps you may be righteous.
2:184   A few number of days; however, if any of you is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days; and as for those who can do so but with difficulty, they may redeem by feeding the needy. And whoever does good voluntarily, then it is better for him. And if you fast it is better for you if you knew.
2:185   The month of Ramadhan, in which the Qur'an was revealed; as a guide to the people and a clarification of the guidance and the criterion. Therefore, whoever of you witnesses the month, then let him fast therein. And whoever is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days. God wants to bring you ease and not to bring you hardship; and so that you may complete the count, and glorify God for what He has guided you, that you may be thankful.
2:186   And if My servants ask you about Me, I am near answering the calls of those who call to Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided.
2:187   It has been made lawful for you during the night of fasting to approach your women sexually. They are a garment for you and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray your souls so He has accepted your repentance, and forgiven you; now you may approach them and seek what God has written for you. And you may eat and drink until the white thread is distinct from the black thread of dawn; then you shall complete the fast until night; and do not approach them while you are devoted in the temples. These are God's boundaries, so do not transgress them. It is thus that God makes His revelations clear to the people that they may be righteous.

The only thing that could prevent one from observing fast is illness.  The things which are prohibited is food, drink and sex during the time of the fast.  We are not to have sex while we are devoted in the temples.  I see no mention of menstruation. 

2:222   And they ask you about menstruation? Say: "It is harmful, so retire yourselves sexually from the women during the menstruation, and do not approach them until they are cleansed. When they are cleansed, then you may approach them as God has commanded you." God loves the repenters and He loves the cleansed.

Note that the only prohibition during menstruation here is intercourse.  There is no mention of either fasting or salah.  Traditionally people say how can you fast or pray when you are unclean.  The verse says you are unclean.  What they fail to realise is that you are unclean for intercourse. I too am a bit uneasy with this, but this is what the verses say. 

My wife has chosen to fast while menstruating an is fine, even while breastfeeding.  She gets a lot of criticism from friends.  I guess if a women generally experiences a painful difficult cycle then fasting may not be the best thing to do... make up for it later.  If you are OK then fast. 

May Allah forgive me for saying anything wrongly in His name, and may He guide us all

Namnoc 

drfazl

Fasting can be postponed during the periods time, the physiological/psychological reason being there is constant tingling and hot sensation in the private parts which is a great problem and causes a difficult situation to contain or free the mind from its impurity. Fasting is not mere abstinance from food and water alone; but restraining from the evils of all 5 special senses. The sense of touch and tingling is so very powerful that it is hard to make fasting a success on these lines during the periods.
Quran reading is useless unless we decisively stick to righteousness in our lives, at least to an extent possible. Based on such status Allah Guides, in such a way  [url="http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx"]http://foolproofcure.net/index.aspx[/url]   that we do not transgress after receiving His Mercy.

sirohey

neither praying nor fasting is forbidden during menstruation ... it is all lies invented to stop you from remembering and communicating with God and to sacrifice for God while you fast so that we may fear.

Alen

Peace,
Respectfully.

And they ask you about menstruation: say, "It is harmful; you shall abstain from the women during menstruation and do not approach them until they are cleansed. Once they are cleansed, you may approach them in the manner ordained by GOD. GOD loves the repenters, and He loves those who are pure." 2:222

This verse - the underlined sentence - is talking about approaching the women. Sexually. It does not seapk about fasting.

God knows best.
Glory be to our God.
Peace.
39:53 Say: ?O My servants who transgressed against themselves, do not despair of God\'s mercy. For God forgives all sins. He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.?

dotty

Quote from: sirohey on June 04, 2008, 11:48:42 PM
neither praying nor fasting is forbidden during menstruation ... it is all lies invented to stop you from remembering and communicating with God and to sacrifice for God while you fast so that we may fear.

I agree.  I also feel that men (unbelievers/hypocrites) invented this so they could maintain their "better than woman" stance.  Unfortunately this is found in all religions in some form or another.  The only thing woman (and men) should NOT do during menstration is intercourse, as stated in 2:222.  That's it!  Menstration is God's design.  It doesn't make sense that God would tell women NOT to do something He instructed because of a condition He designed.  Actually, it is a beautiful design!  One that, in itself, is a cleansing necessary for a woman's reproductive system.  Maybe God added the part about those who are cleansed in this verse... just to expose the unbelievers.

peace,
dotty