Author Topic: The Divine Feminine?  (Read 7226 times)

BOOST

Re: The Divine Feminine?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »
PEace Bro Kyle

WOW Did you know you have really original thoughts regarding Islam and the Quran? I really wish you'd write a book because it is truly novel and amazing!

I have a question: When you say God is above Its creation but creates according to Its pattern... does that mean that there is a feminine and masculine side to God or am i not getting it...

That article really did open my eyes that I had a perception of God as masculine albeit not an old man in the sky so to speak but just a masculine figure... I definitely thought that thinking of God with any feminine qualities would be a big blasphemy. It made me at least realize my wrong perceptions in what God is. I'm still working on whether this all means that God is both or whether it means that God is neither but created both.

lilyfleur

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »
 ;)

almarh0m

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
Salamun alaykum

Human always Creates God ( s ) that they like in their own Image . Nothin New.

Cheers
almarh0m
"He who Created me, it is He who Guides me"

BOOST

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 05:21:43 AM »
Peace Bro AlMarhom

no I'm not saying God is like a female or like a male. I'm saying God might be the epitome of feminine as well as masculine qualities. The most virtuous and the absolute of these. And in that sense, God encompasses both feminine and masculine.

This is what I'm thinking and nothing devitating from that. I'm just not sure if that specific statement would be considered right in Islam

jonny_k

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »
Peace sis "BOOST",

Peace Bro AlMarhom

no I'm not saying God is like a female or like a male. I'm saying God might be the epitome of feminine as well as masculine qualities. The most virtuous and the absolute of these. And in that sense, God encompasses both feminine and masculine.

This is what I'm thinking and nothing devitating from that. I'm just not sure if that specific statement would be considered right in Islam

JK- The problem with this is indeed limiting to GOD to male and female attributes as GOD also posesses qualities which NEITHER man nor woman posess. So the correct understanding is Hes everything combined and Hes also the controller of evolution which cannot be said of any other being in the entire universe. GOD Bless!
[41:53] We(GOD) will show them Our proofs in the horizons, and within themselves, until they realize that this(quran) is the truth. Is your Lord not sufficient as a witness of all things?

Definition of GOD in the Quran:
[24:35] GOD is the Light of the heavens and the earth...self-radiating; needs no fire to ignite it. Light upon light...

Remnant of truth from the NT Bible:
1 John 1:5 (New International Version)
...God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

BOOST

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »
Peace Bro Johnny

I think the issue people are misunderstanding me with is not that i'm talking about God in reference to "man or woman". God is not a person to be a man or a woman. Still, the God has so many attributes found in the verses of the quran. I am of the belief that they are virtues for us to try to attain in our own lives. Those attributes encompass the best of feminine and masculine attributes. So am I limiting God if I view the attributes as a mix of both feminine and masculine?

jonny_k

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 06:13:24 PM »
Peace sis "BOOST"

Peace Bro Johnny

I think the issue people are misunderstanding me with is not that i'm talking about God in reference to "man or woman". God is not a person to be a man or a woman. Still, the God has so many attributes found in the verses of the quran. I am of the belief that they are virtues for us to try to attain in our own lives. Those attributes encompass the best of feminine and masculine attributes. So am I limiting God if I view the attributes as a mix of both feminine and masculine?

JK- Yep and thts exactly my pt, not as you think tht i beleive ur viewing GOD as a person but tht your implying tht GOD's attribute are a mix of only male and female thts it. If you would have said that human male and female have attributes which are PART of GOD's infinite attributes, then it wouldve been correct but each attribute we have GOD has the same on an infinite level also. This pt must also be noted. GOD Bless!
[41:53] We(GOD) will show them Our proofs in the horizons, and within themselves, until they realize that this(quran) is the truth. Is your Lord not sufficient as a witness of all things?

Definition of GOD in the Quran:
[24:35] GOD is the Light of the heavens and the earth...self-radiating; needs no fire to ignite it. Light upon light...

Remnant of truth from the NT Bible:
1 John 1:5 (New International Version)
...God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

Arnold Yasin

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Salaam Aleikum,

Allah is all good Attributes combined into One. We have those attributes according to our biological needs. So for Allah it is just having an attribute, to us it may look like attributes are more female or male, but in reality they are just more compatible to male or female biological functions.

We call certain attributes as 'male' or 'female', but these attributes existed before there were any creatures created, before there was any male or female. Certain attributes were given to male and female, as these were compatible to the biological setup and functions.

So to say these Attributes are male or female is like saying a plastic bottle defines raw oil. Oil is used to define plastic, not the other way around. Same holds for the Attributes, they define human biological differences, but the our biological differences do not define the Attributes.

Also very important is that the Attributes explain what He DOES, not what He IS.

Allah is Above all we claim Him to be.

salikahDC

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 08:09:48 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone has been well since the last time I posted.

One thing that sticks out to me is the automatic assumption that "man and woman" is the same as "male and female" which is the same as "masculine and feminine"; they're being used interchangeably.  I'm not sure that man/male/masculine are interchangeable at all.  The same goes for woman/female/feminine.  They're related however..or at least that should be the goal :)

When referring to the God being "Feminine", I don't think this can be described by gender (woman) or physical (female) attributes like "giving, nurturing, kind, etc". Perhaps, Masculine and Feminine are Divine attributes that exists within and well above the physical world that we live...

BOOST

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »
Peace All

THank you all for explaining your views. I'm still confused and I'm gonna have to contemplate this more before I comment on the posts