Author Topic: Medieval Arab Swords  (Read 2850 times)

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
Re: Medieval Arab Swords
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »
The early arab swords they say were roman inspired but the latter ones were identical to european double edged ones. The damascene process (pattern welding) is also used for katana's but I think there was a difference in the steel and the other additional processes used to get the original blend right.
God has a plan, Gaius. He has a plan for everything and everyone.

Atreides; LeAdderNoir

maxq

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
"latter ones were identical to european double edged ones"

Are you sure? I will try to reveiew some of the material on weaponry that I have (I have to get my hands on it first)... To my knowledge, the curved shape that is considered the chanracteristic of Arabic swords, actually comes from central asian influence (later called the Turk region).
בשס האלה השדי והרחס - האלה ור השמים והארץ

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 05:37:18 PM »
It was in one of the first links I tried when searching for more info, don't know how accurate it is:

The swords used by Arab warriors during the 12th and 13th centuries were almost always straight, double-edged weapons nearly identical to European swords. It is not until near the end of the 13th century that curved, single-edged blades are generally introduced and they only slowly become the common weapon of Arab warriors. In the 15th century, Arabs began to use highly curved swords such as the scimitar shown below.

I read in wiki regarding the earlier swords being similar to roman swords.

Atreides; LeAdderNoir

maxq

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 05:55:55 PM »
I understand. You are correct about early Arabian swords (especially from uptil the 8th century) were straight and double-edged. They got curved quite later under Central Asian influence. European swords were inspired from the latter...

From what I know, even the name Excalibre comes from the Arabic "khalib", that itself is a Central Asian or Anatolian inspired word. Go figure :)

maxq

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 07:23:26 PM »
I own a Katana and a Roman Gladiator sword mock-ups...

From looking at the pictures of the sword attributed to Khalid bin Waleed, one can't but notice the hellenistic influence, albeit the handle.

Obviously, the Scimitar is much like the Katana, but the curve is a lot more profound, which makes it more formidable when it comes to "dismembering" the opponent... Not very helpful if you are also trying to kick and box along with the sword fight.

For some reason, I have always found the Scimitar a bit clumsy, but it was a practical weapon for its wielder. The metal forming and annealing processes were also quite sophisticated considering the times they were made in.

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 12:46:08 AM »
From what I know, even the name Excalibre comes from the Arabic "khalib", that itself is a Central Asian or Anatolian inspired word. Go figure

Wow didn't know that, what does khalib mean? Water nymph? :D

I own a Katana and a Roman Gladiator sword mock-ups...
I think we can safely include you in the group that must never be named, as in this thread. I dual wield a Katana +7 and a Wakizashi myself, just not in RL ;)

Obviously, the Scimitar is much like the Katana, but the curve is a lot more profound, which makes it more formidable when it comes to "dismembering" the opponent... Not very helpful if you are also trying to kick and box along with the sword fight.

For some reason, I have always found the Scimitar a bit clumsy, but it was a practical weapon for its wielder. The metal forming and annealing processes were also quite sophisticated considering the times they were made in.
I agree with you, though I would still consider a dude with a scimitar, and who knew how to use it, quite dangerous. Especially if he's wearing black robes.

Atreides; LeAdderNoir

maxq

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 06:31:39 AM »
"Khalib" means tampered steel... calibration and calibre are direct derevatives an were initially used for markup of steel used in swords.

maxq

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 06:33:20 AM »
I think we can safely include you in the group that must never be named, as in this thread. I dual wield a Katana +7 and a Wakizashi myself, just not in RL ;)
Didn't know you were hooked on VR lol

savage_carrot

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 09:25:31 AM »
Tempered steel eh, thanks for the info. I'm quite hooked on vr more so than rl at times and just sometimes it puts me in confusing situations where I'm trying to get at the reload button but there isn't one...and I realise life is tough  ;D

Atreides; LeAdderNoir

maxq

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
I'm quite hooked on vr more so than rl at times and just sometimes it puts me in confusing situations where I'm trying to get at the reload button but there isn't one...and I realise life is tough
Don't worry. It goes both ways... some people look for the "any key" lol