News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Arabic Hadith

Started by jankren, June 15, 2006, 03:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jankren

Salam, :)

I discussed Hadith with a Sunni man recently and he said that the 'horrendous' Hadiths that I presented arent actually that terrible in Arabic.

When I told him about a Hadith that says bad luck is in women, he said that in Arabic its not really 'bad luck', but something else thats hard to translate.

So, is it true that the Hadiths sound horrible because the translation is not accurate?

And by the way where in Al Quran we are commanded to obey Ibrahim in the same context as we are supposed to obey Muhammad?

"We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians."
- Nelson Mandela

"Hesitation leads to masturbation."
- Socrates

Lobster

peace
QuoteWhen I told him about a Hadith that says bad luck is in women, he said that in Arabic its not really 'bad luck', but something else thats hard to translate.
what is it, then? something positive or negative?

Anyway, even if they aren't as terrible, the problem with them remains.
Why would anyone read a book and then go to another source to understand it?
Why do we have to put our trust in a source which is part corrupt?
Why do we have to blindly believe what the hadith say without any evidence?
`What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.` - Emerson

'Phoenix! You are in Hot water, maybe you should change your name to Lobster.' - Khalil

andy

Quote from: jankren on June 15, 2006, 03:35:40 PM
I discussed Hadith with a Sunni man recently and he said that the 'horrendous' Hadiths that I presented arent actually that terrible in Arabic.
Oh really? as far as I know it is the other way around. "Some" hadiths are "removed" (which I believe to avoid more exposures of the corruption therein) and "some" hadiths are "smoothed" in order to make them look acceptable.

Please take a look at this:
http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?s=1a4666e8474151620abc30ef7eedfb13&showtopic=83286#
http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59367&st=25&p=764744&#

QuoteKeeping this reference in mind, please note that the three (3) volumes of this copy contains 2,531, 2113 and 2408 reports, respectively. This gives us a total of 7,052 and not 7,275. The shortfall of 223 has not been explained anywhere in the book.

The above quote is taken from: http://www.tolueislam.com/Bazm/misc/sample_bukhari.htm

Anyway, since I don't read hadiths in arabic maybe other members can better answer your questions.

ik75243

peace waleed and all

QuoteWhy would anyone read a book and then go to another source to understand it?
Why do we have to put our trust in a source which is part corrupt?
Why do we have to blindly believe what the hadith say without any evidence?

They are working backwards, blindly believe what parents taught them and then everything else is about defending about their ways.

ik75243

peace

QuoteAnd by the way where in Al Quran we are commanded to obey Ibrahim in the same context as we are supposed to obey Muhammad?

We are told that they are BOTH good examples to follow (from the Quran). And you are right nowhere it says anybody's name to obey. It says 'obey God and obey the messenger'. They have even twisted the meaning of 'messenger'/'rasul' to ONLY mean Muhammad