Author Topic: 24:31 strike their feet or separating/parting their legs  (Read 1537 times)

warner

• Truth Seeker
24:31 strike their feet or separating/parting their legs
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:36:31 AM »
24 : 31   

Yusuf Ali   And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands their fathers their husbands' fathers their sons their husbands' sons their brothers or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons or their women or the slaves whom their right hands possess or male servants free of physical needs or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not STRIKE THEIR FEET in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments.  And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah that ye may attain Bliss.   

In above verse "yadrib na biarjulihin na.... strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments" , I guess is the wrong translation.

For yadrib/darab the the meanings beat, put forth , put forward, travel or go forth, move
separate, being apart, to put a distance can be found in the use of these words in the Quraan. (Eg 4:34, 4:94 ,4:101, 14: 45 , 39:27 , 37:93 and in many other verses )

Biarjulihin/Rijla means legs.

The word for Feet is qadam.

By parting the legs too much while sitting or when walking women can show their
hidden attractions. I never understood the reason for women to strike their feet or how
that can show their attraction.

This is my humble opinion of the verse and please add your thoughts.

AhmedBahgat

Re: 24:31 strike their feet or separating/parting their legs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:29:27 PM »
Peace

I believe the verse is talking about the foot bracelets where in the past they used to wear some big ones that make noises as you walk, and the more they hit the ground while walking the more the attraction they bring to themselves while walking in public

I donlt think that a walking woman with parting legs will reveal her hidden attraction because a loose and long Jlibab (a dress) should take care of that

Cheers

ayman

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
Peace Warner,

Thank you for an excellent observation.

In above verse "yadrib na biarjulihin na.... strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments" , I guess is the wrong translation.

For yadrib/darab the the meanings beat, put forth , put forward, travel or go forth, move
separate, being apart, to put a distance can be found in the use of these words in the Quraan. (Eg 4:34, 4:94 ,4:101, 14: 45 , 39:27 , 37:93 and in many other verses )

Biarjulihin/Rijla means legs.

The word for Feet is qadam.

hidden attractions. I never understood the reason for women to strike their feet or how

You are precisely right. This is naturally good and 100% RELEVANT advice to women. Even wearing long dress, a woman spreading her legs wide apart while sitting is provocative and is not good manners.

I don't think that the passage is obsolete as most women don't wear big foot-bracelets. Moreover, how about jingling bracelets on the hands, it would equally attract attention. In fact, belly dancers wear little drum-like rattles on their fingers to attract attention.

More importantly, the word "daraba" in the great reading is ALWAYS used to mean "separate" never "beat" in all of its occurrences.

Peace,

Ayman

Elke

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:39:44 AM »
good reference to "basic instinct"... ;)

peace lk
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery ; none but ourselves can free our minds"
(Bob Marley, Redemption Song)

warner

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 04:57:52 AM »
Hey Elke,

Basic instinct and Peace in the same line ?

I guess the appropriate translation would be
"Do not move your legs (can be sitting or walking) in a way to reveal your hidden attraction"
Since Elke is in to Hollywood...if you walk like Naomi Campbel even with a quite loose fitting garment still a woman will draw lot of attention. Attraction is not only showing a part of the body its the figure also.

Peace

Elke

• Advanced Truth Seeker
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:26:50 AM »
sorry if i offended you warner
but peace is one of my basic instincts
having fun is another

peace lk
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery ; none but ourselves can free our minds"
(Bob Marley, Redemption Song)

idolfree1

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:50:21 PM »
Peace be upon you Warner,

Excellent Work!

almarh0m

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 12:29:56 AM »
Peace all

One would think that 'Striking their Feet ' is more referring to female "strutting their Stuff" ala Female Models in a Fashion Parade , That surely will attract attention from male and female.  :-[

Cheers

almarh0m
"He who Created me, it is He who Guides me"

Arnold Yasin

• Wise One / Burnout
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 02:39:18 AM »
Peace.

Peace all

One would think that 'Striking their Feet ' is more referring to female "strutting their Stuff" ala Female Models in a Fashion Parade , That surely will attract attention from male and female.  :-[

Cheers

almarh0m

That was only one example, he shows the real arabic meaning which is intruiging, and still it refers to not move in a way that seduces, so this refers also still to dancing and strutting and so on you refer to.

"Do not move your legs  in a way to reveal your hidden attraction"

el-Aziz

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 08:35:15 AM »
24 : 31   

It doesnt say that this verse speaks of women in a perticular discourse as in walking or sitting.
I rather say this is a matter of not letting someone in to easily.