Author Topic: "Sahih Bukhari" disproves Muhammad's illiteracy.  (Read 2218 times)

truth

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +7/-6
"Sahih Bukhari" disproves Muhammad's illiteracy.
« on: November 20, 2005, 07:03:31 PM »
The traditionalists may be unaware that the ahadeeth of Bukhari contains within it proof that Muhammad could write.

Here is the narration...

Volume 3, Book 49, Number 863:
Narrated Al-Bara:

When the Prophet intended to perform 'Umra in the month of Dhul-Qada, the people of Mecca did not let him enter Mecca till he settled the matter with them by promising to stay in it for three days only. When the document of treaty was written, the following was mentioned: 'These are the terms on which Muhammad, Allah's Apostle agreed (to make peace).' They said, "We will not agree to this, for if we believed that you are Allah's Apostle we would not prevent you, but you are Muhammad bin 'Abdullah." The Prophet said, "I am Allah's Apostle and also Muhammad bin 'Abdullah." Then he said to 'Ali, "Rub off (the words) 'Allah's Apostle' ", but 'Ali said, "No, by Allah, I will never rub off your name." So, Allah's Apostle took the document and wrote, 'This is what Muhammad bin 'Abdullah has agreed upon: No arms will be brought into Mecca except in their cases, and nobody from the people of Mecca will be allowed to go with him (i.e. the Prophet ) even if he wished to follow him and he (the Prophet ) will not prevent any of his companions from staying in Mecca if the latter wants to stay.' When the Prophet entered Mecca and the time limit passed, the Meccans went to 'Ali and said, "Tell your Friend (i.e. the Prophet ) to go out, as the period (agreed to) has passed." So, the Prophet went out of Mecca. The daughter of Hamza ran after them (i.e. the Prophet and his companions), calling, "O Uncle! O Uncle!" 'Ali received her and led her by the hand and said to Fatima, "Take your uncle's daughter." Zaid and Ja'far quarrel ed about her. 'Ali said, "I have more right to her as she is my uncle's daughter." Ja'far said, "She is my uncle's daughter, and her aunt is my wife." Zaid said, "She is my brother's daughter." The Prophet judged that she should be given to her aunt, and said that the aunt was like the mother. He then said to 'All, "You are from me and I am from you", and said to Ja'far, "You resemble me both in character and appearance", and said to Zaid, "You are our brother (in faith) and our freed slave."

"the Knower of the Unseen, and He reveals unto none His secret,
Save unto a messenger whom He has chosen, and He made an affirmer to proceed him and another to follow him.
That He may know that they have indeed conveyed the messages of their Lord. He is cognizant of all their doings, and He keeps account of all things."

72:26-28

peace4life

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: "Sahih Bukhari" disproves Muhammad's illiteracy.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »
haha

good one!
***UNITE ISLAM*** MSN - bookofallah@hotmail.com ***Rida***

ade_cool

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:45:01 AM »
Salam,

But when they are made aware about hadiths in sahih hadith books proving that Muhammad can read and write, they still believe that Muhammad cannot read and write because that is what they have been taught instead of researching further which one is closer to the truth (because those contradictory hadiths cannot be true at the same time) using Quran as criterion.

Adding some more as below:

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/58/4

Narrated Abu Humaid As-Saidi:

We accompanied the Prophet (ﷺ) in the Ghazwa of Tabuk and the king of 'Aila presented a white mule and a cloak as a gift to the Prophet. And the Prophet (ﷺ) wrote to him a peace treaty allowing him to keep authority over his country.

https://sunnah.com/abudawud/43/364

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:

The Prophet (ﷺ) wrote a letter to Heraclius: "From Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah, to Hiraql (Heraclius), Chief of the Byzantines. Peace be to those who follow the guidance." Ibn Yahya reported on the authority of Ibn Abbas that AbuSufyan said to him: We then came to see Hiraql (Heraclius) who seated us before him. He then called for the letter from the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ). Its contents were: "In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful, from Muhammad the Messenger of Allah, to Hiraql, chief of Byzantines. Peace be to those who follow the guidance. To proceed."

https://sunnah.com/abudawud/20/72

Narrated Yazid ibn Abdullah:

We were at Mirbad. A man with dishevelled hair and holding a piece of red skin in his hand came.

We said: You appear to be a bedouin. He said: Yes. We said: Give us this piece of skin in your hand. He then gave it to us and we read it. It contained the text: "From Muhammad, Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), to Banu Zuhayr ibn Uqaysh. If you bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, offer prayer, pay zakat, pay the fifth from the booty, and the portion of the Prophet (ﷺ) and his special portion (safi), you will be under by the protection of Allah and His Apostle."

We then asked: Who wrote this document for you? He replied: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ).

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/3/7

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Once the Prophet (ﷺ) wrote a letter or had an idea of writing a letter. The Prophet (ﷺ) was told that they (rulers) would not read letters unless they were sealed. So the Prophet (ﷺ) got a silver ring made with "Muhammad Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)" engraved on it. As if I were just observing its white glitter in the hand of the Prophet.

https://sunnah.com/shamail/11/6

Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam made an intention to write letters to Kisra, Qaysur (Ceasar) and Najashi, inviting them to accept Islaam. The people said: '(O Rasulullah) those people do not accept letters without a stamp on it'. For this reason Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam had a stamp made. The ring (loop) of which was silver, and had 'Muhammad Rasulullah' engraved on it".

Wassalam,

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
What happened when an eminent scholar of Al-Andalus started to preach prophet Muhammad was not illiterate post-revelation? The orthodox clergy took him to court. Find out what happened next here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34hgGlWovbQ

Spoiler: the clergy couldn't prove their case against him, case dismissed.

In addition:

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was dying, there were men in the house among whom was ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Come, let me write for you a document after which you will not go astray.” ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) is overcome with pain, and you have the Qur’an; the Book of Allah is sufficient for us. The people in the house disagreed, and they argued. Some of them said: Come close and let the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) write for you a document after which you will not go astray. Others agreed with what ‘Umar said. When their debating and argument in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) became too much, the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Get up and leave.”

‘Ubayd-Allah said: Ibn ‘Abbaas used to say: What a calamity it was when the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was prevented from writing that document for them because of their disagreement and arguing.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6932) and Muslim (1637)

In addition, a novel argument by Edip Yuksel here.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Amra94

• Apprentice
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
When I share those hadiths with sunnis they of course say Muhammad did not write things down himself, he had scribes do it.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 04:30:47 AM »
When I share those hadiths with sunnis they of course say Muhammad did not write things down himself, he had scribes do it.

The hadith do not say that, but I have read that interpretation. Try another take...

You can ask them was prophet Muhammad a good trader/merchant? They will say yes. You then tell them that the number system used at the time of the prophet was the Abjad method (in which letters of the Arabic alphabet represented numbers) and this is what traders used at the time and for all mathematics. Did Muhammad use this system? If he did this means he could recognise letters. If he did not then he spent his entire trading career doing things by memory and every trader he dealt with was happy not to use the widespread Abjad method or he had someone with him all the time who recorded these trades/contracts for him but if so this has never been documented anywhere.

Did he ever disobey God? If they say no, then ask what did he do when he was revealed the very first revelation (according to them) i.e. 96:1

Read (imperative/command form, iqra) in the name of your Lord who has created.

They will almost certainly say according to hadith the prophet replied he cannot read. So God commanded him to read and he replied he couldn't and never learnt to read for the rest of his life despite this command. If God commands X and I cannot do X at the time is it ok never to do X? Is prophet Muhammad a good example for believers to follow........ except with regards to learning to read... or...?

(please also see video and Edp's argument above) They are unlikely to concede anything but nice to see their reaction.

All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Fadiva

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
Salam everyone,

So where does the belief that rassoul Allah (Mohamed) couldn't read or write come from If some hadiths say the contrary ? Other contradictory hadiths ?

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 01:59:29 PM »
From my understanding it came from the interpretation of the Arabic word "ummi" in Quran, and perhaps from polemicists who wanted to elevate the miracle of Quran by saying it was from an illiterate.

www.studyQuran.org

Fadiva

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 10:18:16 AM »
Salam aleykoum Wakas,

Maybe. How can some suni muslims understand "ummi" as illeterate when there are some hadiths (which they believe genuine) saying the contrary ? It doesn't make sense...

"from polemicists who wanted to elevate the miracle of Quran by saying it was from an illiterate"

Perhaps...some of them were tempted to do such a thing like a few "muslims" who use lies to convice people to enter their religion.

Only Allah knows the very truth.
May Allah guide us. Inchaallah.

tutti_frutti

• Apprentice
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »
salam

from my understanding, we can also see in Quran that equating ummi to illiterate does not make very much sens

He is the One who has sent to the ummiyeen a messenger from among them (surah 62 verse 2)

so all of mohammed’s pbuh people were illiterate? or was he sent by The God only to the illiterate?

peace