News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Freedom of Expression curtailed!

Started by Ash Shuura, November 05, 2005, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Shuura

QuoteAny future attacks or issues or insults will be dealt with harshly and severely

Peace,

I am irritated by this dictate, it is like an ultimatom of a police state, not a discussion forum. This is exactly what I was referring to when I said I don't like the idea of delegating authority upwards, it inevitably turns arrogant and becomes corrupt. The standard  is already in the doghouse as some are claiming unfair treatment which tempts me to look into their claim seriously and topple this lousy authority!

Instead of exercising self restraint we have a so called "authority" to empose it. What a lousy deal!

Btw This is not that I don't resent bad language or attacks but more of a resentment of self emposed authoritarianism and how the contributors to this forum are looked on. This is an admission that we are unable to control ourselves so we need someone to empose this authority.

There are several people in the thread that backed self exercised restraint but this was ignored in totality! Maybe some are still struggling to step up outside the realms of authoritarianism and dictate to which their minds were conditioned for so long, and they lapse!

zenje

Yes.. it is difficult to please everyone all of the time. :)
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Ash Shuura

Peace Zein,

I don't see what your comment has to do with what I said other than a speculation on your part of ones hidden opinions on the matter.

I am very disappointed and begining to think I am right in not wanting an elite group to be the ultimate arbitrer in discussions in each and every case except a few.

Have a nice day!

DHULQARNANE

[quote="Ash Shuura"]

QuoteThis is an admission that we are unable to control ourselves so we need someone to empose this authority.

This is exactly right.

zenje

Peace Ash,

Simple, you're dissappointed. If we changed or did anything else, someone else would be dissappointed. If we did nothing at all, yet others would be dissappointed. :roll:

Quote from: "M_Mehdi"all that fear based motives and tactics.. don't work...
What works? :?

:)>-
If they turn away, then Say: "God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne." [9:129]

Layth

Dear Ash Shura,

QuoteI am irritated by this dictate, it is like an ultimatom of a police state, not a discussion forum. This is exactly what I was referring to when I said I don't like the idea of delegating authority upwards, it inevitably turns arrogant and becomes corrupt. The standard is already in the doghouse as some are claiming unfair treatment which tempts me to look into their claim seriously and topple this lousy authority!

How often is this 'authority' that so disturbs you excersized on this forum?

Neither I nor any of the mods nor admin have the time, mood, or pateince to act as god and make the forum behave as we would like...However, when the forum does get out of control (this happens once in a while) and when the decent people who come to learn and debate find no room or place for them, then we have an obligation to correct what has gone wrong in the most transparent and direct way possible.

Would you like to see the forum become a bickering ground and a place for the trading of insults and accusations as it has recently become?

That is ultimately what happens when 'freedom' is allowed to reign without regulation.

Finally, if people were to uphold the principles not of this forum, but of the Scripture (do not call others names, do not backbite, do not say bad things, etc.), then none of these issues would be happening (many talk the talk, but few walk the walk).
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

peacefulmuslim

Hi Ash Shuura,
Quote from: "Ash Shuura"
QuoteAny future attacks or issues or insults will be dealt with harshly and severely

I am irritated by this dictate, it is like an ultimatom of a police state, not a discussion forum. This is exactly what I was referring to when I said I don't like the idea of delegating authority upwards, it inevitably turns arrogant and becomes corrupt. The standard  is already in the doghouse as some are claiming unfair treatment which tempts me to look into their claim seriously and topple this lousy authority!

Peace guy!

Dont we need police in our communities for our safety?whats wrong with policing?

the administrator and moderators would be at wrong if they behave like rulers or dictators. but policing is very necessary to maintain some order else this forum will end up becoming an absolute crap.
and dont rely on everyone participating here to behave well if there were no rules. we are talking of humans here, and there are all kinds! :)

so, we definitely need some policing!

Ash Shuura

Quote from: "Layth"
How often is this 'authority' that so disturbs you excersized on this forum?
Would you like to see the forum become a bickering ground and a place for the trading of insults and accusations as it has recently become?

That is ultimately what happens when 'freedom' is allowed to reign without regulation.

Peace Layth,

Upto now I felt the balance was about right. However, this statement of yours was quite aggressive and seems to imply  a policy change.

I don't oppose authority all together, though I feel it should kept to a minimum. You should allow me to have it out with someone and then let me bridge our differences. Only when it becomes pervasive a control measure would be justified.

All in my opinion, but that statement did annoy me at the time...

Peace

Layth

Dear Ash Shura,

QuoteUpto now I felt the balance was about right. However, this statement of yours was quite aggressive and seems to imply a policy change.

There is no policy change that has occured, only perhaps a more strict desire to enforce a policy that already is in-place (but which due to the level of maturity on this forum most times it is put aside).

My words may be a eflection of my mood/frustration with having to deal with such trivial issues and should not be taken with any offence...If I have offended, then I do appologize.
`And when God Alone is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter are filled with aversion; and when others are mentioned beside Him, they rejoice!` (The Quran 39:45)

KGB

This is the most open Forum on internet and I know that because had discussions on various forums where they form groups. Moderators on other forums like those members who do agree with them and the ones who do not agree get banned. I do not agree on all the issues with Lyath or as a matter of fact with Moderators but they are the most people which extreme tolerance.

In my opinion this is the most open Islamic forum on internet where I have a right to disagree with Lyath and still be the member. Moderators Admin are doing the excellent job in my opinion.
Qur'an - The Final Words of Allah (SWT).
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is The Last Prophet & The Last Messenger.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Rahmatan lil AAalameena.
Prophet Muhammad is Rosool Allah.
Prophet Muhammad is Kathim un Nabieen.